Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Autumn868
    • By Autumn868 17th Apr 18, 11:04 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Autumn868
    Not offered interview by NHS despite meeting all criteria for Guaranteed Interview Scheme
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:04 AM
    Not offered interview by NHS despite meeting all criteria for Guaranteed Interview Scheme 17th Apr 18 at 11:04 AM
    Hello I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on what to do please-

I applied for a job as a security officer with the NHS.
    I do suffer from a disability, and so ticked the box saying I wished to be processed under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme.

It said that providing the applicant meets the 'required' person specs they would then be guaranteed an interview.
    And the specs for this role was pretty basic stuff like having a good level of education, previous customer service experience, previous security officer experience, and teamwork experience.

I personally have 2 degrees, 10years of experience in the public security sector (including 2years experience within a prison officer role & working in a mental-health hospital), plus done various security officer roles in fast paced public facing environments... ect
    So I not only meet all the 'required' person spec criteria, but also actually meet all the 'desired' elements listed in the person specs too.
    (The application form didn't ask questions or anything, just for you to list your previous employment history... ect, but so I included all of mine which clearly shows I meet the basic specified 'required' criteria listed in the person specs).

However when I checked my application status it said I was unsuccessful in even getting offered an interview, despite me being eligible for the guaranteed interview scheme.

I have emailed the contact person listed on the job ad/and the HR department of this hospital, to politely enquire about this situation,
    but have had no reply from any of them. :/

But so if anyone else has any advice on what I should do that'd be much appreciated?
    As whilst ofcourse they have no obligation to offer me a job or anything, they do have an obligation to offer disabled people an interview providing they meet the minimum required criteria (as I do).

Thanks
Page 1
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 17th Apr 18, 12:31 PM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 1,047 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:31 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:31 PM
    Did you put stuff down in additional information section to explain why your a good fit for the role and how you meet the the requirements?
    • Autumn868
    • By Autumn868 17th Apr 18, 12:50 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Autumn868
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:50 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:50 PM
    Yes I put a few paragraphs in that section firstly clearly explaining all the academic qualifications, professional qualifications, and in-job training courses + qualifications/awards which I have got.
    (One of my degrees is directly relevant to the security & emergency services sector)

And then wrote a few paragraphs stating the previous work experience which I've gained over these past 10years, including a short description which each of my 3
    main jobs of what my key duties were in each role and the skills/experience which I gained from each.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 17th Apr 18, 12:51 PM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 1,047 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:51 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:51 PM
    Call the recruiting person and maybe ask why you didn!!!8217;t get one
    • Autumn868
    • By Autumn868 17th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Autumn868
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    They don't list a 'recruitment phone number' or email address directly, as it's quite a small hospital compared to most other London based ones,
    but I did manage to find out the email address of 6-7 various HR staff for the hospital, and so emailed all of them.

I was concerned that phoning may come across as abit 'confrontational' almost though,
    hence why email was my preferred method of communication.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 17th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 2,344 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    Do a FOI for the role asking how many applicants they had for the post, how many met the GIS criteria, how many people were offered an interview, and of these, how many were GIS candidates.

When you get a reply, a letter to Head of HR/ Director of HR for the trust enquiring how your application was mishandled.

It won't change the past but you might discover whether the post has actually been filled and if not, get another chance, or if cancelled, an offer for another post might suddenly materialise.
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • Autumn868
    • By Autumn868 17th Apr 18, 1:05 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Autumn868
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:05 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:05 PM
    Thank-you, I'll send that FOI request in this afternoon.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 17th Apr 18, 1:09 PM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 3,782 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:09 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:09 PM
    Perhaps they think you're overqualified for the role which is why you haven't been selected - I assume that the guaranteed interview scheme is more targeted at those who are otherwise underqualified for said role.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 17th Apr 18, 1:16 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:16 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:16 PM
    They don't list a 'recruitment phone number' or email address directly, as it's quite a small hospital compared to most other London based ones,
    but I did manage to find out the email address of 6-7 various HR staff for the hospital, and so emailed all of them.

I was concerned that phoning may come across as abit 'confrontational' almost though,
    hence why email was my preferred method of communication.
    Originally posted by Autumn868
    Emailing six or seven people will come across as unprofessional. In future keep it to one, even if it's the wrong person they'll direct you to the right person.

Where a job has multiple applicants it's not unusual for the employer to increase the minimum requirements, that's what may have happened here. Given that you have applied under the GIS they'll hopefully give you feedback as to whether this is the case, or something else.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 17th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    Do a FOI for the role asking how many applicants they had for the post, how many met the GIS criteria, how many people were offered an interview, and of these, how many were GIS candidates.

When you get a reply, a letter to Head of HR/ Director of HR for the trust enquiring how your application was mishandled.

It won't change the past but you might discover whether the post has actually been filled and if not, get another chance, or if cancelled, an offer for another post might suddenly materialise.
    Originally posted by nicechap
    That's complete overkill at this stage, OP should wait for the initial response first. Jumping in with FOI requests and complaints is going to mark them out as someone they definitely don't want to employ, irrespective of disability.

(Remember that even if OP gets an interview there's no guarantee of a job offer.)
    • custardy
    • By custardy 17th Apr 18, 2:34 PM
    • 33,448 Posts
    • 28,340 Thanks
    custardy
    Hello I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on what to do please-

I applied for a job as a security officer with the NHS.
    I do suffer from a disability, and so ticked the box saying I wished to be processed under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme.

It said that providing the applicant meets the 'required' person specs they would then be guaranteed an interview.
    And the specs for this role was pretty basic stuff like having a good level of education, previous customer service experience, previous security officer experience, and teamwork experience.

I personally have 2 degrees, 10years of experience in the public security sector (including 2years experience within a prison officer role & working in a mental-health hospital), plus done various security officer roles in fast paced public facing environments... ect
    So I not only meet all the 'required' person spec criteria, but also actually meet all the 'desired' elements listed in the person specs too.
    (The application form didn't ask questions or anything, just for you to list your previous employment history... ect, but so I included all of mine which clearly shows I meet the basic specified 'required' criteria listed in the person specs).

However when I checked my application status it said I was unsuccessful in even getting offered an interview, despite me being eligible for the guaranteed interview scheme.

I have emailed the contact person listed on the job ad/and the HR department of this hospital, to politely enquire about this situation,
    but have had no reply from any of them. :/

But so if anyone else has any advice on what I should do that'd be much appreciated?
    As whilst ofcourse they have no obligation to offer me a job or anything, they do have an obligation to offer disabled people an interview providing they meet the minimum required criteria (as I do).

Thanks
    how long did you wait for a reply,also what was the gap between this and the swathe of other emails you sent?
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 17th Apr 18, 3:17 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 2,728 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Thank-you, I'll send that FOI request in this afternoon.
    How on earth can that be the most sensible next step?!

Originally posted by nicechap
    Your advice would guarantee that doesn't happen.

EDIT to add: Yes, emailing six or seven HR people you found the addresses for will come across as bonkers. I'd think chances of employment with them now are zero.
    Last edited by shortcrust; 17-04-2018 at 3:25 PM.
    • polgara
    • By polgara 17th Apr 18, 3:29 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    polgara
    or they could pull the post?
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 17th Apr 18, 4:06 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,948 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    Not knowing what the security role entails my first thought was same as Tim, overqualified. I've rejected people based on that alone, some may think you are getting more for your money but often harder to retain or even keep busy someone too qualified for role.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 17th Apr 18, 4:53 PM
    • 2,522 Posts
    • 4,023 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Not knowing what the security role entails my first thought was same as Tim, overqualified. I've rejected people based on that alone, some may think you are getting more for your money but often harder to retain or even keep busy someone too qualified for role.
    Originally posted by Ozzuk
    That's one side of overqualified.

The other side is "What on earth are they applying for this for? Why can't they get a better job? There must be something wrong with them."
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 18th Apr 18, 6:57 AM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    I failed to get an interview with the NHS under the GIS once. Turned out I hadn't written in the written bit that I had Maths 'O' level. Even though I'd put it in the qualifications bit, they didn't accept that I had the minimum requirements. I gave up ticking the GIS box and got a job with a different hospital.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 18th Apr 18, 8:01 AM
    • 6,477 Posts
    • 11,662 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Ive failed to get a couple through GIS now.

One was for my job (going from part time to full time) and the person doing the selection hadn't worked out from the fact that I have multiple degrees that I have enough standard grades !!!55357;!!!56900;. Not my fault there was not enough space on the forms for me to spell that out for them.

One they didn't recruit, funding fell through but if I move back to the mainland I have good odds of getting a job in that board. They seemed really nice as well.

One, well they probably wouldn't have been particularly great employers anyway.

One they gave me an interview for the band 6 managers job 3 months before but I didn't have the qualification for the band 5 job? I didn't even bother querying that one. I discovered we were moving to the islands at that point and started applying upwards.

I've also discovered this annoying thing where if you already work in the nhs as an X then unless the job is a natural move for your role then it's like applying to be an astronaut, there's no imagination with a lot of recruiters. I have a huge range of skills from research to admin and certificates to back it up but as I work in admin in an ophthalmology department then I can only progress in admin for some weird reason. It's very frustrating.

I have discovered that the electronic application used by NHS Scotland doesn't give you much space in the area where you describe your current role so if you're like me with a diverse job spec then you need to write something short then expand in the "more evidence in support of your application" boxes.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Les79
    • By Les79 18th Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Les79
    Going off on a very slight tangent, but I've never quite understood why people get (and make sure to point it out) 2 or more degrees!

Maybe when I'm older and wiser I'll know, but I've got one and it:

1. Doesn't give off the impression that I can't make up my mind (even though I actually can't!) like 2+ degrees may do.

2. It effectively tells employers the same story; that I am literate and numerate enough to work somewhere at the level they need.

That being said, I do love Education and would happily have another go at university if the funding was in place/the fees were affordable without loans. I'd just probably try and blag a gap year, if I felt that I would come across as a bit too overqualified.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 18th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 2,728 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Going off on a very slight tangent, but I've never quite understood why people get (and make sure to point it out) 2 or more degrees!

Maybe when I'm older and wiser I'll know, but I've got one and it:

1. Doesn't give off the impression that I can't make up my mind (even though I actually can't!) like 2+ degrees may do.

2. It effectively tells employers the same story; that I am literate and numerate enough to work somewhere at the level they need.

That being said, I do love Education and would happily have another go at university if the funding was in place/the fees were affordable without loans. I'd just probably try and blag a gap year, if I felt that I would come across as a bit too overqualified.
    Originally posted by Les79
    I think two degrees are a warning flag to an employer rather than a plus. We all know people who thrive in academia but struggle in employment.
    • sitesafe
    • By sitesafe 18th Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 853 Thanks
    sitesafe
    That's one side of overqualified.

The other side is "What on earth are they applying for this for? Why can't they get a better job? There must be something wrong with them."
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Or ... they've struggled to find work with the degree they've got and gone on to further themselves to hopefully open up more opportunities in a different field ... rather than a gap in employment to at least be seen to be doing something
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,755Posts Today

6,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin