Not offered interview by NHS despite meeting all criteria for Guaranteed Interview Scheme

Options

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Autumn868 wrote: »
    Yes I put a few paragraphs in that section firstly clearly explaining all the academic qualifications, professional qualifications, and in-job training courses + qualifications/awards which I have got.
    (One of my degrees is directly relevant to the security & emergency services sector)

And then wrote a few paragraphs stating the previous work experience which I've gained over these past 10years, including a short description which each of my 3
    main jobs of what my key duties were in each role and the skills/experience which I gained from each.

That bit on the NHS application is where you should write something akin to a covering letter, where you outline exactly how you meet all the criteria in the person spec.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    Going off on a very slight tangent, but I've never quite understood why people get (and make sure to point it out) 2 or more degrees!

Maybe when I'm older and wiser I'll know, but I've got one and it:

1. Doesn't give off the impression that I can't make up my mind (even though I actually can't!) like 2+ degrees may do.

2. It effectively tells employers the same story; that I am literate and numerate enough to work somewhere at the level they need.

That being said, I do love Education and would happily have another go at university if the funding was in place/the fees were affordable without loans. I'd just probably try and blag a gap year, if I felt that I would come across as a bit too overqualified.

My second degree was for a career change. Totally different to my first one, but totally essential if I wanted to do the job I do now!
  • demiruss
    demiruss Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    Going off on a very slight tangent, but I've never quite understood why people get (and make sure to point it out) 2 or more degrees!

Maybe when I'm older and wiser I'll know, but I've got one and it:

1. Doesn't give off the impression that I can't make up my mind (even though I actually can't!) like 2+ degrees may do.

In a lot of fields you'll need two degrees on the same subject at different levels as standard (i.e. Undergrad and Masters). Or sometimes people will do a social science degree and decide they want to be a social worker/nurse and will go on to do a work-based degree. Most people I've known with multiple degrees have studied linked subjects, it's not like they have one in Chemistry and another in Dance.

I didn't get an interview under a GIS for an entry level job I had ample previous experience in. I agree that being overqualified might be an issue, OP.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    demiruss wrote: »
    In a lot of fields you'll need two degrees on the same subject at different levels as standard (i.e. Undergrad and Masters). Or sometimes people will do a social science degree and decide they want to be a social worker/nurse and will go on to do a work-based degree. Most people I've known with multiple degrees have studied linked subjects, it's not like they have one in Chemistry and another in Dance.

If the degrees are cumulative (ie undergrad, postgrad) then simply state the highest level one - the others are implicit. It's like saying "I have GCSEs, A-Levels and a degree" - the first 2 are (almost, with the exception of stating you've passed English and Maths) irrelevant. If you've had a career change, omit the irrelevant one, or at least discount it for qualifications - you could mention it in interests or other info (like holding a full clean driving licence) if you like.

At best, highlighting having 2 degrees is including irrelevant information. At worst, it suggests you're struggling with employment outside of academia, so overall seems to do more harm than good, IMHO.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    If the degrees are cumulative (ie undergrad, postgrad) then simply state the highest level one - the others are implicit. It's like saying "I have GCSEs, A-Levels and a degree" - the first 2 are (almost, with the exception of stating you've passed English and Maths) irrelevant. If you've had a career change, omit the irrelevant one, or at least discount it for qualifications - you could mention it in interests or other info (like holding a full clean driving licence) if you like.

At best, highlighting having 2 degrees is including irrelevant information. At worst, it suggests you're struggling with employment outside of academia, so overall seems to do more harm than good, IMHO.

This is actually quite bad advice for nhs applications at band 4 and below. If they ask for standard grade maths and you have a degree in physics you'd think that any idiot would know that to have a degree in physics you'd need to have standard grade maths knowledge and pass that application but that is not so in the nhs. Unless you explicitly spell out that you have the maths knowledge required to pass the standard grade then you won't make the first sift.

You really do need to look at the person spec and then make it blatantly obvious that you tick all the boxes. My husband doesn't need to do this for his job (doctor) and neither do people who I know who are in "trained" roles but for the lower bands it seems that the sifting is done by an utter imbecile.
  • ReadingTim
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    This is actually quite bad advice for nhs applications at band 4 and below. If they ask for standard grade maths and you have a degree in physics you'd think that any idiot would know that to have a degree in physics you'd need to have standard grade maths knowledge and pass that application but that is not so in the nhs. Unless you explicitly spell out that you have the maths knowledge required to pass the standard grade then you won't make the first sift.

You really do need to look at the person spec and then make it blatantly obvious that you tick all the boxes. My husband doesn't need to do this for his job (doctor) and neither do people who I know who are in "trained" roles but for the lower bands it seems that the sifting is done by an utter imbecile.

Try re-reading my post, with specific reference to the text in the 2nd set of brackets. English and maths are the exceptions.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options

What about the 3 year gap in employment history though?
  • ReadingTim
    Options
    What about the 3 year gap in employment history though?

Errrr...usually one of those degrees precedes much, if any employment history. Unless of course you're referring to a career change degree, in which case (arguably ) all employment history prior to said degree is irrelevant to the area in which you're now seeking employment, other than to prove you weren't in prison for fraud, murder etc....

Besides, aren't strictly chronological CVs a bit retro now anyway? Surely, it's all skills and outcomes based....?!?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Errrr...usually one of those degrees precedes much, if any employment history. Unless of course you're referring to a career change degree, in which case (arguably ) all employment history prior to said degree is irrelevant to the area in which you're now seeking employment, other than to prove you weren't in prison for fraud, murder etc....

Besides, aren't strictly chronological CVs a bit retro now anyway? Surely, it's all skills and outcomes based....?!?

Lots of employers still ask for a full employment history.
  • ReadingTim
    Options
    Lots of employers still ask for a full employment history.

Well, if they ask, provide it. The point, which seems to have escaped you, if that if they don't ask, it's superfluous, if not completely irrelevant information.

Unless of course you're the sort of person who also adds their 25 meter swimming badge, and scouts award for woggle tying to their CV....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure