Ups claims - refusing to pay out

Hi,
I recently sent a mobile phone with UPS where by it was bubble wrapped in a box within a box so it packaged as good as it could be. Upon it being collected and delivered, the phone is no longer working. I did take out the extra insurance to cover me up the value of £300, I submitted a claim with UPS within 2 days, they collected the parcel for inspection and then re-delivered it back to me. I received a letter back from them within the week stating the following:

'UPS must decline any liability on this occasion as there don't appear to be any visible sign of damage to the exterior of the phone'.

To me this is just a get out clause of them paying up.

Can any one help me on this or experienced the same kind of thing?

Comments

• How was the phone damaged?
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How can it suddenly not working be their fault? It sounds more like coincidence and it just happens to have become faulty at the same time as being sent. If it was packaged as well as you said then even if they had booted it around the warehouse it would still not have been damaged so if the box is in tact it would suggest that nothing untoward happened to it while in their possession.
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sounds like the phone not working was nothing to do with the shipping to me. Do you think otherwise?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    If there is no sign of damage to the box, and the phone is simply 'DOA' then you can't claim insurance for that. Otherwise everyone would send dead phones through the post and claim the insurance.

The courier has done nothing wrong if the parcel and phone are undamaged...
  • Rainbowgirl84
    Rainbowgirl84 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Actor Clive Owen 1990-91.
  • Is it the same phone?
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Bet you it was swapped by the buyer. I hope you noted the IMEI number and serial before you sent it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure