Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • candycow
    • By candycow 17th Apr 18, 7:13 AM
    • 110Posts
    • 20Thanks
    candycow
    How much do I value my contents at following fire
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:13 AM
    How much do I value my contents at following fire 17th Apr 18 at 7:13 AM
    We had a major fire in our home in January. We are waiting for our contents to be listed by the assessor (been waiting weeks, hoping it is going to happen soon). Some of the contents we can individually value, but there are some which will just be a number of items. Books, CDs and DVDs in particular. Does anyone know what value we should be putting on those? One contractor who came in said we should value the books at £15 each, there is most definitely a variety from £6 books right up to £50. The initial loss adjuster suggested £5 each for a DVD (Bluerays would be more), but we had quite a lot that were special editions and would cost significantly more than that to replace.
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 17th Apr 18, 7:51 AM
    • 4,880 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:51 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:51 AM
    you could prove some of the value with online receipts?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • candycow
    • By candycow 17th Apr 18, 8:12 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    candycow
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:12 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:12 AM
    There are too many to individually price though, plus many of them are unrecognisable. All the contents assessors are going to donit count them and throw them in a skip and then give us a total number. We would struggle to remember which ones we had without them in front of us, especially after a devastating event where we are having to deal with the entire contents out of house. There are enoughnod them that we donít want to under value them though.
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 17th Apr 18, 8:48 AM
    • 456 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:48 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:48 AM
    Bear in mind though that you would probably be able to replace a number of the DVD's for less than £5 each.
    I would itemise the special edition ones which I could remember with individual prices from Amazon. However, if they are worth a lot of money (most special editions aren't) then your insurer may require you to prove purchase.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,222Posts Today

8,139Users online

Martin's Twitter