How much do I value my contents at following fire

We had a major fire in our home in January. We are waiting for our contents to be listed by the assessor (been waiting weeks, hoping it is going to happen soon). Some of the contents we can individually value, but there are some which will just be a number of items. Books, CDs and DVDs in particular. Does anyone know what value we should be putting on those? One contractor who came in said we should value the books at £15 each, there is most definitely a variety from £6 books right up to £50. The initial loss adjuster suggested £5 each for a DVD (Bluerays would be more), but we had quite a lot that were special editions and would cost significantly more than that to replace.

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    you could prove some of the value with online receipts?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • candycow
    candycow Posts: 115 Forumite
    There are too many to individually price though, plus many of them are unrecognisable. All the contents assessors are going to donit count them and throw them in a skip and then give us a total number. We would struggle to remember which ones we had without them in front of us, especially after a devastating event where we are having to deal with the entire contents out of house. There are enoughnod them that we don’t want to under value them though.
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Bear in mind though that you would probably be able to replace a number of the DVD's for less than £5 each.
    I would itemise the special edition ones which I could remember with individual prices from Amazon. However, if they are worth a lot of money (most special editions aren't) then your insurer may require you to prove purchase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure