Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Diving Now
    • By Diving Now 16th Apr 18, 6:06 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Diving Now
    Multiple Credit Cards for Credit Repair
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:06 PM
    Multiple Credit Cards for Credit Repair 16th Apr 18 at 6:06 PM
    Hi All.

I am undergoing a period of credit repair. I have a Capital One credit card which I am now managing and reducing to a near zero balance. I have managed it and retained it through the difficulties... Just!

I pay the minimum by DD and I also have a Standing Order for 100 going in to it. It had a 2000 limit and a balance of about 250. I tend to use it once a month for fuel so the balance falls.

Would it be worth getting a second credit card from someone like Lumia or Aqua and pay it off each month? Would this add to my repair strategy or should I just focus on the Capital One card?

Thanks all.
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Apr 18, 6:29 PM
    • 32,321 Posts
    • 20,329 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:29 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:29 PM
    Hi All.

I am undergoing a period of credit repair. I have a Capital One credit card which I am now managing and reducing to a near zero balance. I have managed it and retained it through the difficulties... Just!

I pay the minimum by DD and I also have a Standing Order for 100 going in to it. It had a 2000 limit and a balance of about 250. I tend to use it once a month for fuel so the balance falls.

Would it be worth getting a second credit card from someone like Lumia or Aqua and pay it off each month? Would this add to my repair strategy or should I just focus on the Capital One card?

Thanks all.
    Originally posted by Diving Now
    Why a standing order ?

I thought putting a CC into credit wasn't allowed.
    • Diving Now
    • By Diving Now 16th Apr 18, 6:57 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Diving Now
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:57 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:57 PM
    Why a standing order ?

I thought putting a CC into credit wasn't allowed.
    Originally posted by DCFC79

With a SO, I get to decide.

Also, they didn't complain in the past.

Currently it is at 100 so I'm paying it off over the next few months. When it is at zero I will drop the SO to 50 and just spend 50 on fuel each month.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Apr 18, 7:22 PM
    • 32,321 Posts
    • 20,329 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:22 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:22 PM
    With a SO, I get to decide.

Also, they didn't complain in the past.

Currently it is at 100 so I'm paying it off over the next few months. When it is at zero I will drop the SO to 50 and just spend 50 on fuel each month.
    Originally posted by Diving Now
    http://uk.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/overpaying-bill-1372.php

Maybe the provider is ok with it, that link explains its not the best place to keep money.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 18,073 Posts
    • 19,291 Thanks
    zx81
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    Set it up as a full pay DD. That will demonstrate the best credit behaviour.

Having two or three cards is always sensible, but only if you can trust yourself with them.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    • 1,758 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    Don't put the account in credit.

Just use it for your usual monthly expenditure and pay it in full each month following a statement
    • Diving Now
    • By Diving Now 17th Apr 18, 7:14 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Diving Now
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:14 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:14 AM
    Don't put the account in credit.

Just use it for your usual monthly expenditure and pay it in full each month following a statement
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter

Thank you Gary. I intend to.

I just wondered if having two credit cards and paying them off each month would be better than doing it with one.
    Last edited by Diving Now; 17-04-2018 at 7:21 AM.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 17th Apr 18, 7:33 AM
    • 1,758 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:33 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:33 AM
    Using 2 is fine.

You ahould have one as a backup anyway
    • Diving Now
    • By Diving Now 4th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Diving Now
    • 4th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 4th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    I picked up a Vanquis Visa Credit card recently in addition to my long term Capital One Mastercard. Its going well so far.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Aug 18, 12:39 PM
    • 19,114 Posts
    • 13,327 Thanks
    molerat
    Having a second card is always a good idea especially if you are carrying a balance on the first. Spend on the second card, and clear in full each month, until the balance on the first is cleared to reduce interest.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,834Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin