Free cancellation

Is it worth buying Free Cancellation on hotels, if you def going to go somewhere?

In the event that for example things happen out of your control, like airlines cancelled or 'act of god' would you only get you money back for Hotel if you bought free cancellation?

What about travel insurance would that not cover it?
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    rafhelp wrote: »
    Is it worth buying Free Cancellation on hotels, if you def going to go somewhere?

Book a hotel that already includes free cancellation, then you have flexibility to change or cancel up to a certain date before you travel.
    In the event that for example things happen out of your control, like airlines cancelled or 'act of god' would you only get you money back for Hotel if you bought free cancellation?
    If you cancelled within the hotel T&C's.
    What about travel insurance would that not cover it?
    Check your insurance T&C's.
  • radoslaff
    radoslaff Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    rafhelp wrote: »

If you are buying something, it's not free.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm not sure what the 'free cancellation' that you speak of buying is. Do you mean fully refundable?

But it's definitely worth booking a fully cancellable hotel for which you don't have to pay anything upfront. I often do this, then nearer the time I will see if there is anything better.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    normally flexible/cancel able rates are more expensive than prepaid non refundable rates so they arent really FREE.

As an eternal optimist and cheap skate too, I always book the absolute lowest rate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure