Advice on decking (low budget)

nrishiraj
nrishiraj Posts: 236 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi moneysavers,

We have a patch of soil in our garden (4.53 metres by 2.20 metres) where a shed used to be and we would like it covered with some decking so our 2.5 year old daughter can play on it. However, decking is quite expensive and we are looking for a low budget solution.

Any ideas / thoughts?

Thanks

y4mEk3kEyqC_XQGigmtWmOHU_V5RZEdR7EgZFovYBNpqZdoWTDF-pFs8qZEMWUfsaLDWXfiidBwvk0vN0jk_57_BlAwqfyJYxQPfKYzJT3Vz8KrOsCH-2nZo7Vjd3aAf_koOl5eOXu5X1DZP-0Ti_yGCd1ws-xhQcOwG-hUbhUqPnjg5IRrptdJremBr2aHq773kidU9cy_xzjenYJV3EpeUQ?width=660&height=321&cropmode=none

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,801 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Real grass, artificial grass?

I don't really see any particular point of putting decking there. Wood isn't amazing, there's no height difference to breach, it gets slippy, it has all those gaps in it so little girl's knick-knacks will fall through. And that unpainted stonework is really attractive!

I'd opt for artificial grass if I had funds. Otherwise grass seed is literally dirt cheap and you can buy toys instead to put on it. :)
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    How old is your daughter? That would make a great sandpit! A layer of concrete to cover the bottom, complete with some "fossils" and "bones" marked/laid in it to "discover" would make an interesting base for a sandpit.

If you do want to do decking and are handy, you can make your own much more cheaply than buying decking products.
  • nrishiraj
    nrishiraj Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How old is your daughter? That would make a great sandpit! A layer of concrete to cover the bottom, complete with some "fossils" and "bones" marked/laid in it to "discover" would make an interesting base for a sandpit.

If you do want to do decking and are handy, you can make your own much more cheaply than buying decking products.

She's 2.5 years old.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Definitely sandpit then! You might even consider getting a hard plastic paddling pool to put in it?

Either that, or a "junior allotment"? A sort of mini-garden-in-a-garden that she can tend herself, grow beans, etc. if it gets enough sun. Something that will see good use of the space and be interesting for her as she grows up. You've got the walls to put trellis on so she can grow sweet peas, a row of carrots, etc etc.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Rats love decking , it's a ready made home
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I like the ideas that are more natural/soft than wood decking. Grass (or artificial grass) + sandpit + mini-allotment sounds like a fascinating combination for a two-year-old!

I think decking is way overrated. I have a small deck outside my back/kitchen door, but only because dealing with what's currently under it would have cost a fortune.

[ETA: If you have lots of cats in the area, a sandpit may become a feline toilet - not the sort of treasure-hunt you want your toddler to go on! I had this problem in a house I had in the US and it was disgusting.]
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Pdbaggett
    Pdbaggett Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Why do you think decking is expensive? Boards can be had for £5 a length add some cheap treated timber Barton's and you could do that area for £50 - £100 easily if you did it your self. It's really not hard to do either especially with such a small area
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    How about?

A Rockery.

A Wendy House (might be expensive).

A basic shed that your daughter could use as a play house.

A swing.

A see saw.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Pdbaggett wrote: »
    Why do you think decking is expensive? Boards can be had for £5 a length add some cheap treated timber Barton's and you could do that area for £50 - £100 easily if you did it your self. It's really not hard to do either especially with such a small area

the area is 2.2m x 4.53.

cheap boards will be around 120mm wide.

that's 37 boards along the 4.5 length

@ £5 that's £185

going cheaper at £1.50pm say £3 each that' s still over £100 before any structure or fixings

seen 4.8m 150mm gravel boards @ £6.50

need 15 of those £97.50 but not so child friendly.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is there grass elsewhere in the garden? If not, I would definitely turf/seed it. There's nothing as nice as the feel of grass between your toes in the sun and I think every child should get to experience that. Fake grass isn't the same. Seed/turf is cheap too, and if it turns into a mud pit just give her some little digging tools and tell her to make pies!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure