Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 16th Apr 18, 10:12 AM
    • 632Posts
    • 1,543Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Lawnmower for sloping garden
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:12 AM
    Lawnmower for sloping garden 16th Apr 18 at 10:12 AM
    Can anyone suggest which types of mower would be suitable for a medium sized sloping garden, gradient is variable, I'd guess 1 in 5 at it's steepest.

From research (ie google) it seems hover mowers are best for slopes but I've never been overly keen on them and ideally I'd like something cordless/petrol powered with a grass collector, an option combo which doesn't seem to exist in the world of hover mowers.

Would a self propelled rotary mower be a realistic option or is the gradient just too great?
Page 1
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 16th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 3,202 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    That sounds absolutely fine to use a regular wheeled mower. Keep it to a fairly lightweight machine 35kg or under. An EGO battery mower might be good as their drive speed is fully adjustable. I'd avoid a hover mower. A brushcutter would be easier.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 17th Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 3,527 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    I used to work on a RAF base that dated back to WWII. The old bomb dumps had been covered in soil and turfed, but the sides were still very steeply sloped.

The civvie gardener used to cut the grass on the slopes by tying a rope to the handle of the (hover) mower and letting it swing from side to side. It worked, but not sure about the Health & Safety aspect!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    • 24,812 Posts
    • 92,111 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    The civvie gardener used to cut the grass on the slopes by tying a rope to the handle of the (hover) mower and letting it swing from side to side. It worked, but not sure about the Health & Safety aspect!
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Exactly what the grounds staff used to do at the school where I worked, before the invention of elfin safety!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 17th Apr 18, 5:08 PM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 3,202 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:08 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:08 PM
    1 in 5 isn't flymos on rope territory!
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 17th Apr 18, 5:34 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 1,543 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:34 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:34 PM
    That sounds absolutely fine to use a regular wheeled mower. Keep it to a fairly lightweight machine 35kg or under. An EGO battery mower might be good as their drive speed is fully adjustable. I'd avoid a hover mower. A brushcutter would be easier.
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Thanks.

The cheapest I can see an EGO with battery is 500, a little more than I was hoping to pay, would one of the Bosch Rotak cordless mowers be a good bet instead?

Also I will need to carry it down a few steps every time I use it so weight is a consideration.
    Last edited by NaughtiusMaximus; 17-04-2018 at 5:37 PM.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 18th Apr 18, 8:38 AM
    • 199 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    cranford
    • 18th Apr 18, 8:38 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 8:38 AM
    I recently bought a cordless and it is very light and easy to use compared with my Flymo 330 hover.

However as you have found out prices can be as high as 500. A lot depends upon the power of the batteries and how long they will run for. Some also have a mulching device that allows to use it without a box. The one I bought claimed a cut of 230m2 but I think this must be for a lawn that is very dry and just needs a trim. In truth I can just cut a 70m2 lawn on one charge at this time of the year when the lawn is still wet. But this suits my needs and the charge time is 2 hours and I had previously used a cordless drill of the same make and the batteries are interchangeable.
    And the price today is even better down from the 199 I paid to 169 and that includes a strimmer that is also easy to use. WORX twin pack from Argos.
    • fishybusiness
    • By fishybusiness 18th Apr 18, 9:22 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    fishybusiness
    • 18th Apr 18, 9:22 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 9:22 PM
    Honda Izy petrol, not cheap and will last a lifetime.
    • The_Biff
    • By The_Biff 19th Apr 18, 9:08 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    The_Biff
    • 19th Apr 18, 9:08 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 9:08 PM
    Go for a rear wheel drive. The front drive models tend to spin if the ground is damp. Tricky if going uphill. Large rear wheels give you better manouverability(?).

There were cheap (150?) battery mowers in Aldi last week. I think the price included the battery.
    Nice to save.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

2,429Users online

Martin's Twitter