Can Banks overturn declined Current Account Applications?

Options
Hi There,

I've got an appointment with HSBC today to try to open a student account with them. I'm just worried about the whole 'credit scoring process'. I have 7 defaults on my credit file from when I was younger and very reckless with money, and I make no excuses for that. I've paid 5 of them off fully, with 2 to be put in a repayment plan (took out phone contracts for friends, which they then didn't pay!, I know - stupid-).

If I take in evidence that I've paid off these accounts, as I can take a snapshot of the online account with the debt collection agency that shows the accounts as 'closed' - can the bank hypothetically overturn a declined decision if this happens, and if they feel the situation warrants it?

Many Thanks.

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Yes banks can review any decision they make- HSBC (and FD) are notoriously picky about who they choose so if you can't get an account at HSBC you could probably have much better luck at another bank.

Your best bet in the interview is to be honest.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    They can.

But based on what you describe, they won't.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    might it be a better option to ask for a Basic Bank Account (for now) and once they've seen you are now sensible then upgrade it to a student account?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Opening a student account at this time of year may well arouse suspicions - do you have one at any other bank and if so is it maxed out?
    Terms with all banks normally state that you can only hold one student account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure