Getting rid of ivy help please

Options
We have purchased a house which has been empty for some time. Some of the borders have ground ivy which has covered some tree stumps and the ivy had started to climb up some of the trees. We have started to cut through the this and pull as much of it up as we can, we filled a large bag. This is just one area.

Is there an easier way? Once we have cut and pulled as much of it up, is there anything we should treat the ground with and kill any remainder? We hope to clear it then plant some shrubs/perennials that need relocating from another area.

I.Hate.ivy

This is a pic of the area we tackled today.

http://imgbox.com/iFSeePGw

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think you've just got to be really vigilant and pull up any new shoots that appear once you've cleared it. I don't think there is a short cut to treating it.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh, ivy is a pain. You just have to keep at it.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • lovehols
    lovehols Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Will tackle it again after work.

I've also seen that a white vinegar, salt and washing up liquid mix can be a good weedkiller, unless anyone has any other recommendations so that is going to be on the list once we have cleared as much as we can.

It's awful stuff. I suspect what was a teeny tiny bit went out of control once the lady passed away and the house was empty.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Persistence is key. However, why so many people enthuse about salt/vinegar/bleach/whatever as weedkiller, when weedkiller itself exists puzzles me.

Regular application of glyphosate will kill it. Keep the vinegar and salt for chips once you are done, washing up liquid (in its rightful place too) to wash plates afterwards...
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just keep going. Even if you kill it off first, you'll still have to pull it up and some of the dead stuff left behind can still be tough, so I'd just grit my teeth and get on with it. Once you've cleared the bulk, you could use weedkiller on any stubborn bits that keep coming back, but if you stay on top of it it shouldn't be too bad.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 16 April 2018 at 10:00AM
    Options
    Once cut at the base the stuff climbing will die off and be easier to clear.

If you can wait a bit a generous application(s) of your chosen weed killer.

give it a chance(Ivy does not absorb as good as other plants) then clear out off the site as much as you can.

Cover the area completely with some decent weed/drive sheeting.

Tidy up the edges with some border edging if desired I have been looking at this stuff to create barrier edges.
    https://www.homebase.co.uk/lawn-edging-75mm-x-10-metre-green_p425111

mulch/gravel.

it will look fairly decent, I have used wood chip over 100gm ground cover @50p sqm around my raised beds and it has stopped the brambles that were invading.

Treat anything that breaks through around the edge or planting holes.

How long before you can lift the sheeting I am not sure, it might die back but could just go dormant and come back.

This should reduce the maintenance headache for a few years and look neat and tidy, if you can get the wood chip cheap the edging and sheet will be under £100.

You can plant through the sheeting once the initial applications of weed killer are timed out.
    (if you want to plant sooner just clear to ground lever then cover and you can plant through immediately

Have you though about those stumps there are some great ideas for making them into features if you have a browse of the web.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

If you can wait a bit a generous application(s) of your chosen weed killer.

give it a chance(Ivy does not absorb as good as other plants) then clear out off the site as much as you can.

The weed killer will be absorbed better if you crush or trample on the leaves and break the shiny surface layer before applying the glyphosate.

Glyphosate gets translocated through the whole plant and will kill the roots - homemade weed killers won’t do that.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had an ivy problem but found that hammering copper into the cut ends at root level prevented regrowth.
  • lovehols
    lovehols Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

I've no idea what to do with the stumps yet. They were also covered with ivy.

Can anyone help with weedkiller.

Is this any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B071JPLQCM/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A32JUGRFXXDAQ3&psc=1

Or would it be better to go for something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01BWVLHPM/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I'm going to continue to pull up as much of the stuff as I can, cutting it and pulling it up then treat the area will weedkiller, before tackling another area :(
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lovehols wrote: »
    I'm going to continue to pull up as much of the stuff as I can, cutting it and pulling it up then treat the area will weedkiller, before tackling another area :(

Glyphosate needs to be sprayed on the leaves - it won't do anything if you use it on cleared ground.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure