Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SunshineyDay
    • By SunshineyDay 15th Apr 18, 12:23 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 7Thanks
    SunshineyDay
    G42 Appeal Rejected
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:23 PM
    G42 Appeal Rejected 15th Apr 18 at 12:23 PM
    Hi folks,

Long time MSE Forum lurker, first time poster so I hope I've followed all the rules correctly!

I received a contractual parking charge notice recently from G42 advising that my car had been parked in a car park over the maximum period by 20 minutes or so.

I used the template appeal letter in the newbie thread (before it was updated a few days back) and received letter of rejection from G24.

They gave the usual options of pay up, appeal to ISA or face Court proceedings.

I've been to the site to check the signage and noticed that the sign they mention at the entrance is placed quite high and above 2 other signs displaying the speed limit and guiding cars to the correct lane. It is also placed immediately after a width restriction at entry, so the drivers attention is more focussed on getting through the width restriction safely without damaging their vehicle than looking towards the sky for parking information.

I spoke with some locals and staff in the retail park to determine if they'd experienced any issues and learned that many people have complained after being sent PCNs despite the fact they had been actively shopping (it's a fairly big retail park). It appears that historically there wasn't a limit on the car park and the change was not well publicised so many locals have been caught out.

Besides the odd sign scattered around the car park, there's nothing at the entrance to any of the shops so if you haven't parked next to a sign, you're very likely to miss them.

I'm looking for some advice as to what to do next?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by SunshineyDay; 15-04-2018 at 1:12 PM. Reason: Removed copy of letter now advice has been provided
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th Apr 18, 12:25 PM
    • 36,839 Posts
    • 20,978 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:25 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:25 PM
    What to do next is covered in the FAQ

Note the futility of an ias appeal

So wait and see if you get any court correspondence or lbcca and come back for advice on how to deal with it at that time
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 15th Apr 18, 12:27 PM
    • 37,194 Posts
    • 83,916 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:27 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:27 PM
    The NEWBIES tells you exactly what to do after an IPC member has rejected your appeal.

You should get pictures of the site entrance and signs, taken in the same light conditions as the alleged event in case this ever goes to court.
    The BMPA motoring charity website will tell you the likelihood of this.

What happened when you complained to the landowner?

You should also complain to your MP and Sir Greg Knight MP.

These are some of the comments made by the MPs in Parliament concerning the unregulated parking industry (Feb 2018):

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • SunshineyDay
    • By SunshineyDay 15th Apr 18, 12:46 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    SunshineyDay
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:46 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:46 PM
    Thanks all for your prompt responses and the advice. I had looked through the NEWBIES thread for advice before posting but must've missed the relevant section, it's rather long!

So, for now just ignore unless Court documents show up? Welcome to close this thread if need be.

Thanks again.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Apr 18, 12:57 PM
    • 18,901 Posts
    • 29,771 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:57 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:57 PM
    So, for now just ignore unless Court documents show up?
    Yes please, do let us know when G24 actually execute what they threaten!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 15th Apr 18, 1:01 PM
    • 9,968 Posts
    • 9,764 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:01 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:01 PM
    How many retail outlets, restaurants, hair salons etc. How long is the maximum parking allowed. It may well be that the PPC reduce the time allowed contrary to Council permissions.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 15th Apr 18, 5:31 PM
    • 10,507 Posts
    • 9,833 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • 15th Apr 18, 5:31 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 5:31 PM
    Check that the NtK was within the 14 day POFA timescale.

Check that they state clearly that ANPR is being used for parking control.

Match their signs against the IPC CoP.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 15th Apr 18, 6:12 PM
    • 3,886 Posts
    • 5,067 Thanks
    waamo
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:12 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:12 PM
    If G24 did ever commence proceedings you be be in a club of one. They threaten lots but do little.
    This space for hire.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Apr 18, 2:15 AM
    • 60,111 Posts
    • 73,235 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:15 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:15 AM
    G24 PCNs are always cancelled by retailers and need no new threads, nothing new to be said about G24.

They never sue, and the NEWBIES thread covers all of the above already. No-one here PAYS G24 or worries about them.

PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,033Posts Today

7,025Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin