Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Debutante
    • By Debutante 15th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 39Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Debutante
    Paying for accurate usage
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    Paying for accurate usage 15th Apr 18 at 9:36 AM
    Hi all

Am new to switching and have the following question -

We have just changed our boiler from an ancient gas guzzling monster to a condensing type. This should mean much lower usage. At the same time I want to switch suppliers as we are paying top dollar rates. This will be at a fixed one year deal. When the new supplier gets our info from our current supplier they will presumably set our initial D/D's at a higher figure than they will need to be. The question is - if I give them regular meter readings are they legally obliged to reduce the DD to reflect actual usage ? What I am fearful of is that they will wait until the end of the fixed year to make the adjustment and even more, as they are a new never heard of before entrant they go belly up owing us cash .....

Apologies if this question sounds obvious but we are still in the stone age paying bills quarterly as they arrive.

Thanks
    Paul
Page 1
    • oldfella
    • By oldfella 15th Apr 18, 10:18 AM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 576 Thanks
    oldfella
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:18 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:18 AM
    when you submit the application you are asked your expected consumption. Tell them the new expected numbers.
    • datlex
    • By datlex 15th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    datlex
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    If you are worried about the new supplier why not try a different one that is better known but cheaper than your current supplier?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 15th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    • 2,959 Posts
    • 1,960 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    Hi all

We have just changed our boiler from an ancient gas guzzling monster to a condensing type. This should mean much lower usage.
    Originally posted by Debutante
    Doesn't always follow. Sometimes you are so pleased to have a good boiler you use it more and have more hot water and heating on for longer.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • PaschalFun
    • By PaschalFun 15th Apr 18, 2:51 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    PaschalFun
    • 15th Apr 18, 2:51 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 2:51 PM
    Hi all

Am new to switching and have the following question -

We have just changed our boiler from an ancient gas guzzling monster to a condensing type. This should mean much lower usage. At the same time I want to switch suppliers as we are paying top dollar rates. This will be at a fixed one year deal. When the new supplier gets our info from our current supplier they will presumably set our initial D/D's at a higher figure than they will need to be. The question is - if I give them regular meter readings are they legally obliged to reduce the DD to reflect actual usage ? What I am fearful of is that they will wait until the end of the fixed year to make the adjustment and even more, as they are a new never heard of before entrant they go belly up owing us cash .....

Apologies if this question sounds obvious but we are still in the stone age paying bills quarterly as they arrive.

Thanks
    Paul
    Originally posted by Debutante
    There is no legal obligation, but you can always make a request to your supplier.

Follow their complaint procedure, if you are still unhappy.

Don't worry about your supplier going bust. Any credit, or debit, balance will be handled by the new supplier appointed by Ofgem.
    This has worked in the past with the likes of GB Energy & Future Energy.
    Last edited by PaschalFun; 15-04-2018 at 2:57 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,463Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin