Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gers
    • By Gers 15th Apr 18, 7:32 AM
    • 6,687Posts
    • 43,469Thanks
    Gers
    Old Style Daily Sunday 15 April
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:32 AM
    Old Style Daily Sunday 15 April 15th Apr 18 at 7:32 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 1
    • Gers
    • By Gers 15th Apr 18, 7:37 AM
    • 6,687 Posts
    • 43,469 Thanks
    Gers
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:37 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:37 AM
    Good morning everyone.

I slept well and have woken to what may turn out to be a fine day. My hopes are up.

Whilst I'd love a lazy day I've too much to do. There are potatoes to plant, everlasting sweet peas to plant and work prep to do. I've got guests arriving on Thursday so need to cook up some meals for the freezer. There's a new book calling to me fairly loudly, I shall do my level best to ignore it.

I hope everyone is doing well or getting better. Happy Sunday.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 15th Apr 18, 8:13 AM
    • 4,022 Posts
    • 49,139 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:13 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:13 AM
    Morning Everyone

Dry for now, washing just about to go out and then I'll go for a swim. Found yesterday's swim really hard as I've not been for a while, hoping today is better.

The afternoon tea was lovely but wish they would give more savouries than sweets. Service was good and the wee refreshment on the way back to the train station was just the job!

Shopping to do for the week ahead, back to work and some sort of routine for me thank goodness. Not a bad term ahead, a few bank holidays to look forward to.

I'm going to meet DS1 later in Stirling for a bite to eat, we're getting there slowly, it'll be good to catch up.

Have a lovely Sunday, hope all's well in your world. Take care. XX
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 15th Apr 18, 8:26 AM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 20,732 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:26 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:26 AM
    Good morning everyone

I've woken up to rain and more rain but it is quite warm so the heating doesn't need to go on. Steve has just made me a cup of tea and I am just wandering around the internet.

Lilly stayed at her friend's house last night so peace reigned here. Becky spent the afternoon gardening with Steve and really enjoyed herself and Phoebe spent the day cleaning her room and rearranging her furniture. I just sat and knitted .

I think I got scammed on Friday by a very plausible lady who rang me to 'sort out my washing machine insurance'. I feel such a fool but rang my bank and got my card cancelled straight away. I am normally very savvy when it comes to these sort of things but my guard was down and I don't know what possessed me to give her all my details. Anyway, I am checking my bank account several times a day to make sure there is nothing untoward going on.

We are having fake nandos again for lunch today as I enjoyed it so much the other week. I'm not doing the halloumi this time though as I thought it was very bland and not very pleasant to eat. So we are having chicken breast with a nando's rub on it, corn on the cob, spicy rice and potato and sweet potato wedges. It makes a change from roast dinner anyway.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx

• LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 15th Apr 18, 8:30 AM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 29,885 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:30 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:30 AM
    Morning all,

Was up early this morning but decided to take little dog around the fields for a walk and have only just got back, itís cloudy out there but warmish and best of all dry! Yesterday afternoon was very warm & sunny so much so that I got quite hot riding Lu even without a coat.
    A quiet day is planned for today, I picked up a piece of smoked gammon at the farm shop yesterday so that will be boiled first and then roasted, I have a little parsley in the herb garden so will make a sauce to go with, plus roasted veg. Other than that I fully intend to spend the day reading and generally lazing about, Lu can have the day off as well

Another one here who prefers savoury over sweet Camelot.

Have a good day folks x
    • dp1
    • By dp1 15th Apr 18, 8:37 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    dp1
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:37 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:37 AM
    Good morning everyone
    Having a lazy start to the day....got up and fed the cats, then brought my breakfast back up to bed. Lovely and sunny outside this morning. Going to have to get up soon and get sorted....want to hoover before I go down to sit with my dad whilst mam goes to church. We'll have his weekly email to my eldest DD to write, he had to miss last week as I wasn't here to write it for him. She still sent him one though.
    Hopefully will get a tidy up in the garden this afternoon, though the ground is too wet to do much. I have an area at the bottom of the garden with stones on it, which a cat or cats keep digging up and using as a giant litter tray. I tried putting bleach down last week but that hasn't stopped them. I'll have to bring the orange peelings home from school next week...that sometimes works. I have two cats myself, but they both hop over a 6 foot fence to do their business in the fields.
    Hope everyone has a good day
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Apr 18, 9:12 AM
    • 16,264 Posts
    • 138,804 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:12 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:12 AM
    Good morning everyone , and a foggy start to the day here in Kent I am hoping it will brighten up later though.

dp1 my neighbour has a cat and it pops into my garden to do its business. and its mates do as well.Good job my gardener sorts it out for me I rarely get the chance to sit in my garden,but I like to see it from my kitchen window looking nice and neat with the flowering shrubs and a few plants he puts in for me. I used to garden quite a bit but age and creaky joints have put paid to that sadly but I wouldn't want to be without a garden,plus I do like to get my washing blowing on the line.
    Yesterday I got most of my holiday washing done and dried as it was such a gorgeous day.

This morning normality reigns once more and I shall be veg prepping for the week and doing my menu whilst listening to the Archers.I shall also make my DGS some melting moments biscuits which I will take round there late afternoon as I go to DDs for dinner as usual.

Hope everyone has a good day and if you are lucky the sun will shine down on you all

Take care chums

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19. July added equals £204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals £227.75
    1st Sept £34.66:15th Sept £34.44 totals £262.19
    • redruby
    • By redruby 15th Apr 18, 10:19 AM
    • 6,789 Posts
    • 94,846 Thanks
    redruby
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:19 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:19 AM
    Morning all

Looks to be a nice day here OH is just hanging his work clothes on the line and I have stripped the beds and got them in the wm I shall hang them out for a while too.

We went to the baptism yesterday and it was not too bad, although the priest had such a strong accent that no one could understand a word he said, it was actually quite funny, we stayed for maybe an hour at the do afterwards and then made our excuses and left.

Today we have to hoover through downstairs and clean the kitchen floor and tidy lounge, I shall nip to Mr T to take the top back and pick up a yellow pepper which I forgot.

Dinner tonight will be burger in a bun and salad nice and easy.

Have good days all xx
  • archived user
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:46 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:46 AM
    Iím quite happy to sit and watch people out in a caf! but since I was Sectioned Iím scared and anxious of talking to people I donít know. Iíve also got this fear of coming straight to my house and letting myself in without first walking up and down the road checking to see if there is anyone sitting in a car that may be waiting to swoop and Section me again. Unless Iím expecting someone I donít answer the door anymore Iím too afraid to.
    I suppose it would help knowing the reasoning behind sectioning you in the first place.

I hope you get to see your GP soon.

Morning all,

I'm knackered. Grump was awake coughing and sneezing all night and then when I finally got some sleep he decided to watch a film on his phone alongside me which kept me half awake. If I'd been fully awake I'd have asked him to wear earphones or go downstairs but I was too tired to say anything...just kept drifting in and out of sleep. It's anyone's guess as to whether he'll make it into work tomorrow.

Sun is out but is hiding behind the clouds. I think its going to be a nice day.

Not sure what the day will bring...we will see.

Onwards and forwards,

Have a great day all.
    • poppy811
    • By poppy811 15th Apr 18, 10:53 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 1,439 Thanks
    poppy811
    Good morning all
    Finally feeling better today having been really poorly with a D & V bug for most of the week. The only plus being good for the weight loss.
    Youngest son is calling in shortly as they fly off tonight to New Zealand to see his terminally ill MIL, really don't envy them the 32 hour flight with a 2 year old and a tiny baby but it has to be done. I am then meeting my daughter and 3 grandchildren for an early birthday lunch. A difficult relationship but better than it was and she is a lot happier since she met her new partner. Have made a small start on the garden yesterday but energy levels are a bit low at the moment.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 15th Apr 18, 11:39 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 12,012 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello everyone, it's raining again, that's depressing .
    Anyhoo it's Sunday lunch today with Dad, we haven't seen him for a week but I have spoken to him on the phone a couple of times. On today's menu is roast chicken, roast potatoes and parsnips, with cauliflower, minted peas and gravy. Tea will be pate on crackers/toast with a selection of cakes or strawberries and ice cream to follow.
    The oven is on, the veg is all prepped, I've put the DW on and Mr Fix It has hoovered through downstairs. Nothing much is on the cards for today, except Dad will probably bring over yesterdays paper and between us we will do the giant crossword. My subject is mostly literature, Dad's is the geography and Mr Fix It's is the science. The rest we usually muddle through .
    I had a face to face chat with Joan yesterday, she was lucid for quite a while then asked if I'd seen her carer, who had gone upstairs to check on her baby ( ? ). Things went downhill from then on . She did thank me for visiting, as she knew I'd had a long journey to get there. ( Yes, two sets of steps there and two sets back, with a bit of pavement in between )
    Ok sitting here won't get the baby a new bonnet, so I'd better do something productive, like lay the table for lunch, mind you there is still a large stereo plonked on the one side of it
    Hope everyone is having a good Sunday whatever you are doing.
    Take care and the hug bucket is full, so please help yourselves.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 15th Apr 18, 11:59 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 2,421 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Spotted one of you is having problem with cats using gravel as a toilet, don't clean with bleach it will attract more cats they LOVE bleach, try vinegar or pepper but not bleach. My cats will sleep in my daughters swimming bag.

Cats LOVE bleach.
    xx
    • Gers
    • By Gers 15th Apr 18, 12:45 PM
    • 6,687 Posts
    • 43,469 Thanks
    Gers
    Two bags of potatoes planted. Six everlasting sweet peas planted. One escapee Aberdeen Angus calf recaptured (it was eating the grass outside my barn) and all's well.

I'm expecting two separate visitors later on so will put my feet up and enjoy a cup of tea before they come. Hope they don't come at the same time.
    • dp1
    • By dp1 15th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    dp1
    Spotted one of you is having problem with cats using gravel as a toilet, don't clean with bleach it will attract more cats they LOVE bleach, try vinegar or pepper but not bleach. My cats will sleep in my daughters swimming bag.

Cats LOVE bleach.
    xx
    Originally posted by Mademoiselle
    Thanks for the advice. I've bought some sort of cat repellent at Poundland this morning and some little windmills to stick in the ground! Don't really know cats' views on windmills but hopefully they might act as a deterrent...if not they'll look pretty!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 15th Apr 18, 1:36 PM
    • 10,797 Posts
    • 118,740 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Apologies for being awol for a few days; life the universe and everything happened, resulting in no spoons left for logging onto MSE.
    Unless I!!!8217;m expecting someone I don!!!8217;t answer the door anymore I!!!8217;m too afraid to.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    I have a video entry phone for just this situation. I had it put in when Mr LW was still working, as I was scared to answer the door when I was here on my own, specially as we were getting a lot of cold-callers back then, and I feared someone pushing past me and robbing me or worse. Nowadays it's useful for telling callers to wait while I corral the canine guest!.
    Anyways, how it works is when the caller presses the button, the camera comes on and I can see who is on the doorstep. If I don't like the look of them I can do nothing and they can think I'm out. Or if I wish I can pick up the receiver and speak to them without actually going to the door.
    It wasn't cheap to get it installed, I admit, but it does mean a lot more peace of mind.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 15th Apr 18, 3:12 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 22,853 Thanks
    csarina2
    Afternoon ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

We went to see DD2 this morning, Aldi and Boyes also visited, when we got back we dropped off the shopping nad set off for the garden centre, treated ourselves to Sunday lunch. I also managed to spend £71 on plants and compost.....eeekkkk......

We have to go out later and pick up some stuff from freecycle, weed killer and lawn edging from someone who is moving.

It started off very bright first thing but then the mist descended and we did have a few drops of rain, but nothing more than that.

No cooking for me tonight!!
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 15th Apr 18, 3:34 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 22,168 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Hello, I'm having a really idle day. I just have dinner to cook and that's it. I have cleaned the bathroom and scrubbed the inside of the vacuum cleaner, had tea with a friend. I'm going to knit and watch TV.

Hope everyone is doing well, special hugs to Holly
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Apr 18, 4:09 PM
    • 16,264 Posts
    • 138,804 Thanks
    JackieO
    Gers I hope you didn't eye your little calf up as possible dinner or freezer fodder

A couple of years ago I was on holiday with my friend up in Derbyshire at a little place called Hope, and our cottage was at the top of a large hill right up in the peaks.

There was a farm close by who owned the cottage, and one moring it was a beautiful sunny day and we were eating breakfast with the windows open and in leapt a tiny lamb through the window.

Its Mum was getting quite stressed as it had some how managed to escape through the fence and into our cottage garden.

There were my friend and I in our PJs chasing a lamb around the sitting room trying to catch it , boy do they move fast at times ,much faster than two little old ladies that's for sure.

We eventually caught it and managed to get it back to its Mum who immediately nudged it rather crossly back across the field baa-ing loudly to its tiny little bleats.

beautiful holiday though and we loved the Derby dales
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19. July added equals £204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals £227.75
    1st Sept £34.66:15th Sept £34.44 totals £262.19
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 15th Apr 18, 5:51 PM
    • 12,600 Posts
    • 42,274 Thanks
    Nelski
    Evening all

Bit late today but just back from lunch

Had a fab weekend with my mate just what I needed lots of laughs and lots of reminiscing. Yesterday we sat out all afternoon in the glorious sun with refreshing G+Ts actually got some colour so first tan of the year Fish pie was lush and a great evening was had headed up to Costco today as she wanted some sketchers shoes so did that then a lovely pub lunch before she headed home

Be an early night for me then mums tomorrow. Some fish pie ver so ill take that to her.

have a good evening all
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th Apr 18, 6:23 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 11,861 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi everyone,

Just a quick post from France.

DH arrived a couple of hours ago & DSis has just fed us roast pork (no crackling in France) peas, carrots & green beans with DH making the gravy - he is a whiz at making gravy

We have planned out where to start on the decluttering/binning/csing/packing but it is a mammoth job The work starts tomorrow BUT now DH is here, he & DSis are doing some work now while it is still light & there is much laughter My DHís arrival has definitely perked me up - now I am less depressed at the enormity of the task - maybe not impossible just improbable

Can only post while I am downstairs as the walls are all solid & six inches thick

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and hugs to everyone but especially to Holly.
    I hope your GP can help ease your mind Holly and get you set up for the happiness & stress free life you so richly deserve. I so admire your determination to get on with it even though at times it must seem like the world is conspiring against you. However all your virtual friends are here, encouraging you & wishing you well and reminding you how happy you were the first few days you were at home. I think a menu plan is a wonderful way to remind yourself that you are a wonderful & worthwhile lady who DESERVES happiness & contentment & a life free from fear I so wish I could do more but know that I am sending you lots of hugs & a shoulder to lean on when you need it.

Not so quick a post

MrsSD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

307Posts Today

2,924Users online

Martin's Twitter