PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tree Survey - Who Pays

Options
Good morning,

New to the forum and thought I would seek thoughts/advice from those who may have been in a similar situation.

We have had an offer accepted on a property and from the results of a survey it looks as though our lender may ask for a tree survey. Is this something we should be paying for, looking to share the cost with the vendor, or asking the vendor to pay? If the tree survey throws up any issues, do we ask the vendor to rectify?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Miasdad wrote: »
    Good morning,

New to the forum and thought I would seek thoughts/advice from those who may have been in a similar situation.

We have had an offer accepted on a property and from the results of a survey it looks as though our lender may ask for a tree survey. Is this something we should be paying for, looking to share the cost with the vendor, or asking the vendor to pay? If the tree survey throws up any issues, do we ask the vendor to rectify?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Why do you think your lender will ask for a tree survey?

I would have thought you would have to pay, then you can start negotiate with the vendor over price.

You can ask the vendor to do any remedial works, but they may / will say no it depends how much they want to sell.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Miasdad
    Options
    Hi,

We changed lender on the advice of our FA, as they had asked for a tree survey following the survey they commissioned. The FA suggested we change lender because there were no advisories on the survey, it just mentioned that there were trees in the garden in general comments. There were a couple of other quibbles the FA had with the lender (Platform), so recommended the move.

However, my thought is that if one lender is asking then there is a chance the new one (Natwest) will.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would think that if the vendor gets the survey then neither you nor your lender would have any rights to see it and may well be prevented by the contract with the surveyor.

If your lender wants it and you want the house then you pay.
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You pay. It's your lenders requirement so I don't understand why you think it may be a cost for the seller to bear.

Any checks, inspections, reports, surveys etc it is down to the buyer to get done. Buyer beware. You can of course ask the vendor to pay or contribute but more than likely will be told to foxtrot Oscar.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it's got the word "survey" in it, you pay for it.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As above. It's you buying the property so it's you that wants and needs the survey doing so it's you that pays for it. I would be wary of asking the vendor to undertake any recommended work because you will have no control over them if they do. Better to commission any work that needs doing yourself once you've moved in. Otherwise the vendor will probably just do the cheapest thing they can to satisfy the survey findings.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Who wants it done? The seller? No. You? Yes, to satisfy your lender.

You pay.

(though you can always ask - the seller might just agree to pay!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure