Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miasdad
    • By Miasdad 15th Apr 18, 6:48 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Miasdad
    Tree Survey - Who Pays
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:48 AM
    Tree Survey - Who Pays 15th Apr 18 at 6:48 AM
    Good morning,

New to the forum and thought I would seek thoughts/advice from those who may have been in a similar situation.

We have had an offer accepted on a property and from the results of a survey it looks as though our lender may ask for a tree survey. Is this something we should be paying for, looking to share the cost with the vendor, or asking the vendor to pay? If the tree survey throws up any issues, do we ask the vendor to rectify?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Page 1
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 15th Apr 18, 6:54 AM
    • 9,875 Posts
    • 123,800 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:54 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:54 AM
    Good morning,

New to the forum and thought I would seek thoughts/advice from those who may have been in a similar situation.

We have had an offer accepted on a property and from the results of a survey it looks as though our lender may ask for a tree survey. Is this something we should be paying for, looking to share the cost with the vendor, or asking the vendor to pay? If the tree survey throws up any issues, do we ask the vendor to rectify?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Originally posted by Miasdad
    Why do you think your lender will ask for a tree survey?

I would have thought you would have to pay, then you can start negotiate with the vendor over price.

You can ask the vendor to do any remedial works, but they may / will say no it depends how much they want to sell.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -14 so far and counting!!
    • Miasdad
    • By Miasdad 15th Apr 18, 7:03 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miasdad
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:03 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:03 AM
    Hi,

We changed lender on the advice of our FA, as they had asked for a tree survey following the survey they commissioned. The FA suggested we change lender because there were no advisories on the survey, it just mentioned that there were trees in the garden in general comments. There were a couple of other quibbles the FA had with the lender (Platform), so recommended the move.

However, my thought is that if one lender is asking then there is a chance the new one (Natwest) will.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 15th Apr 18, 7:16 AM
    • 2,865 Posts
    • 3,696 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:16 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:16 AM
    I would think that if the vendor gets the survey then neither you nor your lender would have any rights to see it and may well be prevented by the contract with the surveyor.

If your lender wants it and you want the house then you pay.
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 15th Apr 18, 8:05 AM
    • 1,430 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    Mickygg
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:05 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:05 AM
    You pay. It's your lenders requirement so I don't understand why you think it may be a cost for the seller to bear.

Any checks, inspections, reports, surveys etc it is down to the buyer to get done. Buyer beware. You can of course ask the vendor to pay or contribute but more than likely will be told to foxtrot Oscar.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 15th Apr 18, 9:25 AM
    • 8,233 Posts
    • 8,592 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:25 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 9:25 AM
    If it's got the word "survey" in it, you pay for it.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 15th Apr 18, 12:25 PM
    • 2,246 Posts
    • 3,032 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:25 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:25 PM
    As above. It's you buying the property so it's you that wants and needs the survey doing so it's you that pays for it. I would be wary of asking the vendor to undertake any recommended work because you will have no control over them if they do. Better to commission any work that needs doing yourself once you've moved in. Otherwise the vendor will probably just do the cheapest thing they can to satisfy the survey findings.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 15th Apr 18, 12:33 PM
    • 45,037 Posts
    • 53,691 Thanks
    G_M
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:33 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:33 PM
    Who wants it done? The seller? No. You? Yes, to satisfy your lender.

You pay.

(though you can always ask - the seller might just agree to pay!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,094Posts Today

8,986Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin