Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • markusvic
    • By markusvic 15th Apr 18, 12:10 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    markusvic
    Neighbour planning velux window facing my bedroom
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:10 AM
    Neighbour planning velux window facing my bedroom 15th Apr 18 at 12:10 AM
    Hi I wonder if anyone can advise me on how can i stop this.
    I m in a typical Victorian mid terrace with kitchen / bathroom in a single storey extension.

My next door neighbour is redesigning his bathroom and he is removing the ceiling and wants a velux above the shower. But that faces my single storey extension and lookimg upwards is my back bedroom window and i feel even with frosted windows is a massive invasion of my privacy.

Also i m using the space betwen his single storey extension and his as a seating area in the summer. I would not want him opening the window and bathroom smells coming on my terrace or steam

Surely this is not right but apparently is permitted development. Can i stop him?

Thanks
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 15th Apr 18, 12:45 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:45 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 12:45 AM
    Velux gonin the roof, how is this overlooking you?
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th Apr 18, 1:46 AM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:46 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 1:46 AM
    My next door neighbour is redesigning his bathroom and he is removing the ceiling and wants a velux above the shower. But that faces my single storey extension and looking upwards is my back bedroom window and i feel even with frosted windows is a massive invasion of my privacy.
    Originally posted by markusvic
    A velux window is a window that is level with the roof, maybe you are thinking about a dormer window?

• Tom99
    • By Tom99 15th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    My next door neighbour is redesigning his bathroom and he is removing the ceiling and wants a velux above the shower. But that faces my single storey extension and lookimg upwards is my back bedroom window and i feel even with frosted windows is a massive invasion of my privacy.
    Thanks
    Sounds more like you will be invading your neighbours privacy by looking down on them in the shower.
    • lowe
    • By lowe 15th Apr 18, 6:57 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    lowe
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:57 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:57 AM
    i suggest you to talk directly with your neighbour
    • wheelz
    • By wheelz 15th Apr 18, 7:15 AM
    • 295 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    wheelz
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:15 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:15 AM
    It is not very clear what is proposed but a side window that is not on the ground floor of a house is only permitted development if it is:Upper-floor, side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/17/extensions Also look at the technical guidance link on the page.

If your neighbour wants an opening window and not obscurely glaze it he/she needs to put in a planning permission and the impact on the neighbour's amenity, privacy, overlooking etc would be assessed. It is likely that they would get a permission with a condition attached that the window needs to be obscurely glazed and non-opening if not 1.7m above floor level.
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 15th Apr 18, 7:45 AM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 4,493 Thanks
    usefulmale
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:45 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:45 AM
    Hi I wonder if anyone can advise me on how can i stop this.
    I m in a typical Victorian mid terrace with kitchen / bathroom in a single storey extension.

Also i m using the space betwen his single storey extension and his as a seating area in the summer. I would not want him opening the window and bathroom smells coming on my terrace or steam

Surely this is not right but apparently is permitted development. Can i stop him?

Thanks
    Easiest way is to buy his house.

If you want privacy, move to the countryside.
    Signature removed by ForumTeam again
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Apr 18, 7:55 AM
    • 33,893 Posts
    • 28,751 Thanks
    custardy
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:55 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 7:55 AM
    OP has posted 3 threads,all property/neighbour issues.
    They never reply past OP.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th Apr 18, 8:31 AM
    • 7,293 Posts
    • 6,058 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:31 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 8:31 AM
    Velux gonin the roof, how is this overlooking you?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Ground floor bathroom?
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • markusvic
    • By markusvic 15th Apr 18, 9:20 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    markusvic
    "Yes i posted but have lost my phone snd log in details so couldnt find old post so not sure why is it a problem? I did click thank you on all replies that helpec me so what have you against me?"

Yes this neighbour prooved to make improvements that affect me. So the velux he wants is on single storey extension looking at about 45 degrees towards my upper level bedroom window so i think looking up they can see the bedroom. What annoys me if he had it the other side he wouldnt be overlooking my house.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 15th Apr 18, 10:12 AM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 3,125 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Am I right in thinking you have a load of windows pointing at the neighbour's house?!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 15th Apr 18, 10:18 AM
    • 11,197 Posts
    • 29,933 Thanks
    suki1964
    All my upper floor windows are velux and I can assure you you cant
    look down at anyone with them All I can see is skyline To look down at anyone or anything, I need to open them then get a chair to climb up on to poke my head through

The lowest thing I can see is the house over the road chimney pot
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 15th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 29,632 Posts
    • 75,769 Thanks
    Mojisola
    So the velux he wants is on single storey extension looking at about 45 degrees towards my upper level bedroom window so i think looking up they can see the bedroom.
    Maybe the bedroom ceiling but not much else.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th Apr 18, 10:44 AM
    • 7,293 Posts
    • 6,058 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    the velux he wants is on single storey extension looking at about 45 degrees towards my upper level bedroom window
    So the view will be equal to standing in the garden looking up.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 15th Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    So the view will be equal to standing in the garden looking up.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    ..... or equal to looking out of your bedroom window, down into his shower room.....
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 15th Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    • 36,097 Posts
    • 46,526 Thanks
    McKneff
    Dont understand. in your OP you say it is overlooking your 'single story extension'
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 15th Apr 18, 11:47 AM
    • 25,591 Posts
    • 69,420 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    You're being totally unreasonable. You don't want steam - water vapour - on your terrace in the summer? Have a word with yourself.

Also, I suspect that your neighbour will be obscure glazing the Velux if they don't want you staring down on their naked body. There is no invasion of privacy with obscure glazing - because it is obscure! Not only that, how much time do people spend looking at their ceiling, exactly when they are in a standing position? It's you that would be overlooking them if you chose to stand at your bedroom window. They will see nothing other a tiny bit of bedroom ceiling from one certain angle. As for overlooking your own single storey extension - physically impossible!

If you can apply logic to this scenario, rather than a knee jerk NIMBYism to what sounds like a modest addition under Permitted Development, then you'll discover that there is no issue. Let them get on with their lives.

This is possibly the most ridiculous complaint I've read on here.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 15-04-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 15th Apr 18, 11:49 AM
    • 25,591 Posts
    • 69,420 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    It is not very clear what is proposed but a side window that is not on the ground floor of a house is only permitted development if it is:Upper-floor, side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/17/extensions Also look at the technical guidance link on the page.

If your neighbour wants an opening window and not obscurely glaze it he/she needs to put in a planning permission and the impact on the neighbour's amenity, privacy, overlooking etc would be assessed. It is likely that they would get a permission with a condition attached that the window needs to be obscurely glazed and non-opening if not 1.7m above floor level.
    Originally posted by wheelz
    A velux goes in the roof. It's going to be above 1.7m high. Totally compliant.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Apr 18, 11:55 AM
    • 16,913 Posts
    • 42,693 Thanks
    elsien
    If you have a kitchen and bathroom in your single storey extension does that not mean that you are emitting not one but two lots of steam and smells towards his terrace? Perhaps he should complain about you.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 15th Apr 18, 12:01 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 9,807 Thanks
    warby68
    If you have a kitchen and bathroom in your single storey extension does that not mean that you are emitting not one but two lots of steam and smells towards his terrace? Perhaps he should complain about you.
    Originally posted by elsien
    He also wants to build a conservatory/orangery in the space he is currently protecting - slightly more glass than one obscured velux window!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

596Posts Today

6,406Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin