Neighbour planning velux window facing my bedroom

Options
Hi I wonder if anyone can advise me on how can i stop this.
I m in a typical Victorian mid terrace with kitchen / bathroom in a single storey extension.

My next door neighbour is redesigning his bathroom and he is removing the ceiling and wants a velux above the shower. But that faces my single storey extension and lookimg upwards is my back bedroom window and i feel even with frosted windows is a massive invasion of my privacy.

Also i m using the space betwen his single storey extension and his as a seating area in the summer. I would not want him opening the window and bathroom smells coming on my terrace or steam

Surely this is not right but apparently is permitted development. Can i stop him?

Thanks

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Velux gonin the roof, how is this overlooking you?
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    markusvic wrote: »
    My next door neighbour is redesigning his bathroom and he is removing the ceiling and wants a velux above the shower. But that faces my single storey extension and looking upwards is my back bedroom window and i feel even with frosted windows is a massive invasion of my privacy.

A velux window is a window that is level with the roof, maybe you are thinking about a dormer window?
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My next door neighbour is redesigning his bathroom and he is removing the ceiling and wants a velux above the shower. But that faces my single storey extension and lookimg upwards is my back bedroom window and i feel even with frosted windows is a massive invasion of my privacy.
    Thanks

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sounds more like you will be invading your neighbours privacy by looking down on them in the shower.[/FONT]
  • lowe
    lowe Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    i suggest you to talk directly with your neighbour
  • wheelz
    wheelz Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is not very clear what is proposed but a side window that is not on the ground floor of a house is only permitted development if it is:Upper-floor, side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/17/extensions Also look at the technical guidance link on the page.

If your neighbour wants an opening window and not obscurely glaze it he/she needs to put in a planning permission and the impact on the neighbour's amenity, privacy, overlooking etc would be assessed. It is likely that they would get a permission with a condition attached that the window needs to be obscurely glazed and non-opening if not 1.7m above floor level.
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I wonder if anyone can advise me on how can i stop this.
    I m in a typical Victorian mid terrace with kitchen / bathroom in a single storey extension.

Also i m using the space betwen his single storey extension and his as a seating area in the summer. I would not want him opening the window and bathroom smells coming on my terrace or steam

Surely this is not right but apparently is permitted development. Can i stop him?

Thanks

Easiest way is to buy his house.

If you want privacy, move to the countryside.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP has posted 3 threads,all property/neighbour issues.
    They never reply past OP.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Velux gonin the roof, how is this overlooking you?
    Ground floor bathroom?
  • markusvic
    Options
    "Yes i posted but have lost my phone snd log in details so couldnt find old post so not sure why is it a problem? I did click thank you on all replies that helpec me so what have you against me?"

Yes this neighbour prooved to make improvements that affect me. So the velux he wants is on single storey extension looking at about 45 degrees towards my upper level bedroom window so i think looking up they can see the bedroom. What annoys me if he had it the other side he wouldnt be overlooking my house.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Am I right in thinking you have a load of windows pointing at the neighbour's house?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure