Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 14th Apr 18, 6:07 AM
    • 1,589Posts
    • 17,414Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Saturday 14th April 2018
    • 14th Apr 18, 6:07 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 14th April 2018 14th Apr 18 at 6:07 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 1
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 14th Apr 18, 6:15 AM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 21,522 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 14th Apr 18, 6:15 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 6:15 AM
    Morning and thank you for starting the thread Hollyharvey. I hope that you have been able to get back to sleep.

My plan for tiday is a belated Friday Tidy and at some point I need some embroidery thread, other than that it is just scrubbage.

I'm trying to work myself up to cleaning tge oven, a horrid task.

I see now that you are not asleep Holly. I hope that your surgery visit today is supportive. A shame that you can't spend this weekend with your family but at least that will be something to look forward to and meantime, we will be here for you xx

I've put the oven shelves in tge bath with warm water and bio washing powder, should make the scrubbage a bit easier. It is tge actual oven that daunts me. I have some nasty oven cleaning stuff but it smells so horrible, I don't want us breathing that in.
    Last edited by ancientofdays; 14-04-2018 at 6:32 AM.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 14th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    • 3,148 Posts
    • 43,516 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 14th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    Morning everyone

hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light but cloudy still damp and laying water - hoping that the land will start drying up as the forecast looks a bit more positive.

DH and I up and enjoying first peaceful cuppas, I'll be heading to the SM first thing as didn't shop yesterday due to staying in waiting for the delivery of my new f/freezer and removal of the old one. This all happened early in the 3 hour slot and the delivery guys were brilliant organised what they were doing in and out in less than 15 minutes - even though it's a really tight space no messing about. But I have practically no fresh food.

Dinner last night was lamb shanks, roasties, carrots and brocolli and gravy. Cake for dessert. Tonight's dinner will be sorted when I shop this morning.

I did get the ironing done and more loads of washing, still more to go which I continue with today.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Apr 18, 8:03 AM
    • 6,600 Posts
    • 42,648 Thanks
    Gers
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:03 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:03 AM
    Morning all.

Still in bed! It's bright and damp in Glasgow, yesterday the rain never stopped all day.

I slept deeply again, no dreams, or at least none that I remember.

My time reading yesterday was so lovely, I managed to finish the book and can now move onto another from the pile.

Happy Saturday to everyone.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 14th Apr 18, 8:11 AM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 48,614 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:11 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:11 AM
    Morning All

The weather is just bleurgh, damp and slightly foggy. Like Gers, it rained all day. Bedding in the machine, it can hang indoors.

Had a good catch up with a friend yesterday for coffee then sorted some stuff from the loft. I was going to sort through old photos but it's too big a job!

I'll go for a swim in a while then I have an afternoon tea with friends at 2pm in Glasgow, quite looking forward to it although it's not good for the diet!

Hope you are all well, where's tru?

Take care. XX
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 14th Apr 18, 8:13 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 6,995 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:13 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:13 AM
    Thank you for starting us off Holly. Sorry you can't spend time with your family this weekend.

Looks nice and sunny, so think a short walk and some time in the garden is the plan for today.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 14th Apr 18, 8:15 AM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 28,985 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:15 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:15 AM
    Morning everyone,

Bit dull here at the moment but we are forecasted sun for later, smashing

The bed needs changing today so hopefully the sheets will dry on the line, we have taken the duvet off and are back to two blankets, with a throw on top, which is plenty warm enough.
    Hopefully I will be able to get out in the garden for a while to have a tidy up this morning, I want to sort through my pots etc and start planning for summer bedding. This afternoon I will ride Lu as she has had a couple of days and we could both do with the exercise!

Have a good saturday, take care folks x
  • archived user
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:28 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 8:28 AM
    Morning all,

Beautiful sunshine! Hope it lasts cause I got rained on taking the hounds for their walk yesterday. It's so difficult walking 2 at once. Ginge hates walkies and I have to drag her, yet Blackun pulls. Raring to go.

Grump is Ill. It's like the cold he had a few weeks back has returned and he's only been back in Wales 3 weeks. Wales doesn't suit him at all! Meanwhile, he's lying in bed beside me looking at cars on a dealer website.

Not sure what today will bring. A trip to the vets to pick up Blackuns medication is a must cause they aren't open Sunday's.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    • redruby
    • By redruby 14th Apr 18, 9:23 AM
    • 6,758 Posts
    • 94,381 Thanks
    redruby
    • 14th Apr 18, 9:23 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 9:23 AM
    Morning all

Foggy here atm but meant to be a nice day later on. We need to have a quick clean through this morning and then I might need to run a top back to Mr T which I bought yesterday but is too big, I also bought a pair of shorts for our holiday which I am getting excited about now.

The top was for a friends baby's baptism which is today and tbh is the last thing I want to do, I not a church person by any means, the family are catholic but never go to church at all apart from to bet babies baptised or to bury people, it seems a bit farcical to me, hopefully It wont be an all day job.

Dinner tonight will be some prawns and salmon with a creamy dill sauce and a vegetable gratin there will be wine too, I love a nice dinner on a Saturday.

DD and boyf have the mortgage man this morning and are then coming to the baptism with me as it was a woman dd and I worked with.

Right better get on have good days all xx
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 14th Apr 18, 9:25 AM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 22,314 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Holly, sorry that your weekend trip has had to be postponed hope you can make it another weekend, it will do you good. Please try and eat something nourishing, even if its something simple like poached egg, cheese or beans on toast.

Sun is out and its not as cold as it has been. The small patio was laid yesterday, I have to borrow DD2's pressure washer to clean the moss off the side path and the mud off the slabs, they have been reclaimed from a previous job. The railway sleeper needs to be done with preservative, I think I am going to paint it green. The grass behind the sleeper needs to be lifted a bit so that a job for later.

I am going to spend an hour in the garden this morning sorting out the stuff thats been dumped at the back of the bungalow and also re-connect the hose to the outside tap. I will then give it a sweep. We are going to be out tomorrow morning but might manage an hour in the afternoon. I need to start weeding the herbaceous border, I have plants to go in. I noticed yesterday that the lupins were coming through, so need to cut up a couple of plastic bottles to make collars so the slugs cannot get to the new growth.

OH will potter in the shed and do a couple of light jobs that do not involve him bending down.

Supper tonight, all day breakfast and the last of the jelly. Will sort out fruit to make a crumble for tomorrow, have apples and blackberries in the freezer.
    • newroadahead
    • By newroadahead 14th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    • 733 Posts
    • 5,339 Thanks
    newroadahead
    Morning All

Sorry that you are having all these problems Holly I really feel for you and as other have said seeing your brother next week will give you something to look forward to.
    They also say we may have a mini heatwave but I guess we will have to wait and see if that's true.
    Judi I hope you are ok after your fall

((((((Hugs)))) to everyone who is not doing so great at the moment.

Looks like the bright thing in the sky is here this morning which is lovely as I want to do some washing and get it on the line. I got DH to get the suitcase down the other night with my summer clothes and have been trying some on to see if they fit for our holiday..... and surprise surprise they do so i am pleased. I am going to get my self a few new t-shirts but the vest tops, crop trousers etc all past muster.

I don't know if it is just me but t-shirts don't seem to last as well as they did or keep a good shape

I realised looking back through last week's posts that I forgot to say where we are going... Mexico and I am really excited

Spoke to DDad last night I am having a weekend at home to try to get myself sorted and will see him next week, it's only 5 weeks until he goes away on his holiday and he is getting prepared. He flies on a Wednesday so I will go up the weekend before to make sure he has all he needs. He is ex forces so his packing will probably be better then mine.

Have a good weekend all

NRA XXXX
    NewRoadAhead
    Debts Sep 2009 £35,000.00
    Debt Free November 2014
    Member 51 £1,0000 emergency Fund
    October GC £ /£250.00
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 14th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    • 12,544 Posts
    • 41,606 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

Holly keep being strong love you are coping so well we are all really proud of you x

Had a mini lie in this morning woke up at 6 but forced myself back to sleep till 8.

Lots to do today I have my befriending call in a while then I need to hoover and make a big fat fish pie for dinner tonight and a lime cheesecake Friends coming over later so it may get messy best get the food sorted now

Enjoy your weekend all
    • dp1
    • By dp1 14th Apr 18, 10:16 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    dp1
    Good morning everyone
    Lovely sunny morning here. Sitting her feeling furious at youngest DD. Found last night that shes lost her job and has been lying about going to work for the last fortnight! .Whether shes been sacked or quit I can't find out..she says she quit but I have a gut feeling shes been sacked. She says she hated her job, fair enough but find another one first! To put this into perspective where we live fulltime jobs for young people are very hard to get, most are seasonal.....,she was lucky and had a well paid full time job.
    Anyways fast forward to this morning and I've just been out hanging washing, as was my neighbour. Turns out DD had my house full the entire time I was away and to quote neighbour 'partied hard for a week.' I am so angry with her. Have texted her to come home but not looking forward to seeing her to be honest.
    Sorry....rant over.....no one else really to rant to.
    • Elona
    • By Elona 14th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    • 322 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    Elona
    dp1

Could the week of partying have made her late for work or unable to show up some days? It must be infuriating that she has given up a permanent job but sounds as if she will only learn by her mistakes.

Holly

I am sorry you are not seeing your brother this weekend but glad you have next weekend to look forward to and hopefully the weather will be better.

Had porridge for breakfast and just about to hang some laundry outside. Glad I managed to get the super king bed changed last night and the dishwasher is churning away. Had a phone call from oldest dd to make sure I was coming to visit this afternoon and will take a few bits and pieces for her and maybe another word search puzzle.

Probably should have something to eat before getting the bus at one o'clock but not sure what to make- maybe
    eggs on toast or something quick. Will defrost some sausages for tomorrow to have as a big late breakfast if dd and sil visit before they go to see oldest. Hoping good weather is on the way at last but not too hopeful.

Hugs to all
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Apr 18, 11:48 AM
    • 16,169 Posts
    • 137,787 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hello everyone back home from my holidays and glad to see the sun shining at last as I have two washloads to go on the line.We had a nice time although the weather wasn't brilliant but a nice break and we had a couple of days when it was quite pleasant and if not hot at least dry.being in a caravan for a week with two small dogs that get covered in mud at every opportunity was to say the elast challenging along with three teenage boys who also seemed to be mud magnets but we managed as we always do. Only four months now until our main holiday on the IoW which thankfully will be in a large house with all mod cons

But we had a good time and with no wi-fi there was a lot of car playing and scrabble and various board games in the 'van so we amused ourselves OK.

brought odds and ends back foodwise that we didn't use so it will be used up this coming week,I have a pot of carrot and coriander soup on the go at the moment using up left over carrots from our holiday. I also managed to get to the House of chilli and got some nice chilli sauces to bring back with me..
    I popped to the shops first thing and managed to spend just over a fiver on just a few bits to add to whats indoors already so not a lot of shopping needed which is good.

Right time for some more washing to go out on the line and this afternoon I shall be in ironing mode whilst watching catch-up tv

Hope you all have had a good week and the schools are back next week so life gets back to normal again

Well done Holly H on how well you are doing.

Having been offline for a week its good to catch up on everyones week today

Enjoy your weekend chums, what ever you are doing hopefully the sun will keep on shining

Cheers

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19. July added equals £204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals £227.75
    • dp1
    • By dp1 14th Apr 18, 2:55 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    dp1
    Elona - yes I think that's exactly what's happened re youngest DD and work and you're right she has to learn by her mistakes....but she's infuriating!
    Had a day of pottering about making sure all my jobs are done before I'm back to work on Monday, Managed to get a load of washing completely dry on the line - first time this year!
    Going down to my mam and dad's later as he 'needs' me to watch the Grand National with him! It's very strange how my dad's dementia gets slowly worse but his ability to bet on the horses....and win... doesn't. I saw quite a difference after being away for a week's holiday....it's a very sad illness.
    When I was a little girl my granny would always give us each 20p to put a bet on the Grand National...I won 3 times with Red Rum! My dad continued the tradition with my girls from when they were old enough to pick a horse. We weren't encouraged to gamble at any other time!
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 14th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 11,551 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Afternoon all, what a lovely day it has turned out to be, I can feel my mood lift because of some sunshine and warmth .
    It was a bit overcast this morning so we had a trip to B&q for some electrical trunking and a tester paint pot. I picked up what I thought was the correct one for matching the lounge but now I'm not so sure, luckily I picked up another too. We will have to wait and see as we aren't ready to use any paint yet. We called in Al*is on the way back, mainly for some fruit as I only had one lonely apple left in the bowl .
    This afternoon we have been taking down a "dwarf" conifer in the front garden, it had grown to about 8ft high and just as wide . Mr Fix It will have to find something else to hang his outside lights on in December . I also noticed that some of my herbs have started to peek through, hopefully Spring has finally sprung !
    The cleaning / item replacing is still ongoing, the spice jars in the kitchen have been cleaned today and so has the kitchen bin. There's still more to do but I'm de-cluttering as I'm going along, today's offering ...... an old radio and some straighteners that are no longer needed. I have also done a wash load and hung it on the whirly .
    Judi I'm sorry that Wales doesn't suit Grump, it's the air. Unfortunately most people here have problems with chest ailments, asthma ect... That's probably why he feels like he has another cold.
    Holly keep on plodding along, I'm sending positive vibes and my virtual support to you.
    JackieO welcome back.
    NRA Mexico how exciting !
    OK must get some tea sorted, oh it already is......... leftover chinese from yesterday, followed by strawberries and ice cream .
    Hope everyone is having a lovely day. Hugs to anyone who wants or needs one.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Apr 18, 4:57 PM
    • 6,600 Posts
    • 42,648 Thanks
    Gers
    Had a lovely day so far. DM only wanted to go into two different supermarkets rather than the three she did last week.

My drive home was so nice again, not blazing sunshine but bright and dry nonetheless. Apart from the drivers who consider doing 30mph on a 60mph road is perfect I managed the drive in good time.

My landscaping membrane has arrived but I'm not going to do anything with it until next weekend. I've got a full week ahead of my me so want to have time tomorrow to plan for work, plant my rapidly chitting potatoes and cook for the weekend as I've got guests coming. See, start of the good weather and everyone wants to be in Scotland!

My wine order is now in the barn though I am going to 'test' one which I've not had before. MW staff told me it's their biggest seller... hope it's good.

My postbox needs emptying, better go and get the post in. Happy evening!
  • archived user
    Judi I hope you are ok after your fall
    I'm ok thanks, just stiff and sore today.

Not the best picture but at least it covers my modesty.
    Judi I'm sorry that Wales doesn't suit Grump, it's the air. Unfortunately most people here have problems with chest ailments, asthma ect... That's probably why he feels like he has another cold.
    Oh its not just him then. Still, we managed to go shopping (via the car dealership) and he has now put himself to bed.

Quiet night in front of the pc planned for me then. Hounds have been walked, shopping put away. I was going to do salmon for our evening meal but i'm not sure what im doing now.

Good to see you back Jackie

Have a good evening all.
    Last edited by Judi; 14-04-2018 at 11:35 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

260Posts Today

2,168Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin