Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • unagirl
    • By unagirl 13th Apr 18, 2:20 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 4Thanks
    unagirl
    Uncooperative Beneficiary
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:20 PM
    Uncooperative Beneficiary 13th Apr 18 at 2:20 PM
    My late father in law's estate has been finalised; the executors have signed off the estate accounts and the beneficiaries have all signed an indemnity waiver, I understand this is to protect the executors against future claims against the estate. 4 weeks ago a copy of the estate accounts were sent to all beneficiaries, for them to sign so that the monies can be distributed. All the beneficiaries except 1 have returned the accounts. This beneficiary has not questioned the accounts, but he has not responded to 2 solicitors letters asking him if there is a problem. Consequently the solicitor holding the money, is refusing to distribute the funds.

Given that the executors are happy, and all beneficiaries, including this rogue one, have signed an indemnity surely the funds can be distributed with 1 share held on account until this beneficiary comes forward.

Thank you for reading.
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 13th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 3,461 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    My late father in law's estate has been finalised; the executors have signed off the estate accounts and the beneficiaries have all signed an indemnity waiver, I understand this is to protect the executors against future claims against the estate. 4 weeks ago a copy of the estate accounts were sent to all beneficiaries, for them to sign so that the monies can be distributed. All the beneficiaries except 1 have returned the accounts. This beneficiary has not questioned the accounts, but he has not responded to 2 solicitors letters asking him if there is a problem. Consequently the solicitor holding the money, is refusing to distribute the funds.

Given that the executors are happy, and all beneficiaries, including this rogue one, have signed an indemnity surely the funds can be distributed with 1 share held on account until this beneficiary comes forward.

Thank you for reading.
    Originally posted by unagirl
    There is no legal requirement for beneficiaries to do what the solicitor is asking. Nor is it any excuse not to distribute the estate. The solicitor needs to be given 14 days to do so court action will follow. Only do this if you are prepared to carry out the threat.
    Last edited by Yorkshireman99; 15-04-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th Apr 18, 10:01 AM
    • 9,599 Posts
    • 10,668 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:01 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:01 AM
    Could it be that the indemnity allows the solicitors to shorten the six month time they'll otherwise need to wait ?
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 15th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 1,290 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    Could it be that the indemnity allows the solicitors to shorten the six month time they'll otherwise need to wait ?
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    The solicitor was employed to prepare the estate accounts, but executors are 3 family members & probate granted in August. I don't think it's the solicitor sitting on the funds, but the executors.

If I were a beneficiary of this estate I don't think I'd sign an indemnity either, judging by some of the other posts from OP, this had an air of contentiousness about it.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 15th Apr 18, 11:54 AM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 3,461 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:54 AM
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:54 AM
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    AFAIK this would breach the rules the solicitors have to adhere to, at lleast in spirit, if not letter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,273Posts Today

7,932Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin