Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pnat
    • By pnat 13th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 5Thanks
    pnat
    Robin Hood Energy or EBICO
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    Robin Hood Energy or EBICO 13th Apr 18 at 1:46 PM
    Hi

Hope you are all well.

I was thinking of switching from a Big 6 supplier to EBICO (they seem to have this tariff where there is 0.42 standing charge, 0.18 day rate and 0.00 night rate for a fixed 12 months contract). I am off the gas network and with an E7 meter. However the reviews online say they tend to overcharge you by insisting that you pay for their estimate and not the actual amounts used at the end of the year (when do the checking and adjustment is done).

Do you any any experience with them?

Thank you so much.

Nat
    Last edited by pnat; 13-04-2018 at 1:49 PM.
Page 1
    • PaschalFun
    • By PaschalFun 13th Apr 18, 2:06 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    PaschalFun
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:06 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:06 PM
    I understood you need to have a Smart Meter for this tariff ... or at least go on their waiting list for one.

Where are these reviews of which you speak - don't tell me, Trustpilot
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 13th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    Xbigman
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    It's an interesting tariff but there are restrictions on it that mean that very few customers would benefit in real terms. 10/10 for innovation but 2/10 for practical value.

Look elsewhere.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • pnat
    • By pnat 13th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    pnat
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    1. Sorry if this sounds bad but I was referring to their Google reviews.
    With the meter no I think an E7 is fine with them.

2. Why would you say so sorry? So even if the day usage is 0.5 and night 0.5 by proportion, the average rate is under 0.10. Don't think many offer this rate. Hope you can explain why only some would benefit. What are the restrictions that I am not reading properly?
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 13th Apr 18, 9:00 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:00 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:00 PM
    There's a high night usage restriction of 60% and the Daily SC is higher than a typical E7 tariff.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 13th Apr 18, 9:21 PM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:21 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:21 PM
    I had a year with Ebico. no problems at all on their Ebico zero tariff
    • pnat
    • By pnat 13th Apr 18, 11:34 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    pnat
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:34 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:34 PM
    Thank you very much. Didn't note that. So yes a cap at 60% won't suit all.

Thank you very much with that feedback.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 14th Apr 18, 12:40 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 7,090 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 14th Apr 18, 12:40 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 12:40 PM
    I can't comment on that particular tariff, but I have been with Ebico for five years, first SSE and now RHE. I am not locked in, no penalties for leaving. On zero standing charge, pay quarterly on a bill. As a low user it works for me. Only one glitch with them, they send me a letter asking for meter readings when I already supply them on their web site. They are slow at sending bills, haven't had one since November, but I am not bothered, I have the money to pay. I spoke to them on the phone yesterday, answered straight away, nice young lady, so now I expect an up to date bill soon, hopefully.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 14th Apr 18, 2:17 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 2,424 Thanks
    squiggles
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:17 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 2:17 PM
    I've been with Ebico for around 10 years now, when it was the ethical company with no standard charge and run by SSE.

I switched over to Ebico zero in April 2017 which is run by Robin Hood Energy. No standard charge, no penalty if I switch supplier and hassle free billing system.

I get a letter sent every 3 month asking for my meter readings, January, April, July and November. I phone the automated line and punch in my meter readings and around 10 days later I get my bill.

I am with Ebico because there is no daily standard charge and I like a hassle free billing system which I can pay quarterly instead of monthly.

I know the gas and electric price of the units is higher than other companies and I could probably save a little bit of money by switching but not much the last time I checked. I don't like to jump into the unknown by switching just to save a couple of quid a year so I stay with Ebico for it's efficient and hassle free billing and it's zero standing charge is perfect for my household.
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 14th Apr 18, 3:17 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    Xbigman
    I noticed two comments about letters. I deal with Ebico purely online and by email. Reading's reminders are emailed and bills sent as PDF attachments. I thought it worked that way for everyone?

Darren

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 14th Apr 18, 6:55 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 2,424 Thanks
    squiggles
    I noticed two comments about letters. I deal with Ebico purely online and by email. Reading's reminders are emailed and bills sent as PDF attachments. I thought it worked that way for everyone?

Darren
    Originally posted by Xbigman
    I believe the reason I get letters requesting my readings is because of the switch over from Ebico SSE to Ebico Robin Hood >>>>>

Can you remember when there was all the confusion of switching? The part I'm meaning is when all the Ebico customers received a letter saying if you want to stay with them, then do nothing. This instruction happened to be incorrect at the time.

Then once the confusion was settled we all had to register by a certain date to be eligible as RH customer.

Well, I couldn't register online as the site was down, I kept getting error code or something like that. So I filled the paper form of application and mailed it to them. I was sent in returned from them a congratulations you're an Ebico Robin Hood customer and a switch date was given.

I think because all my communication with Ebico has been postal only rather than online since the beginning has been the reason for my letters.
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 14th Apr 18, 7:15 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    mbmonty
    With Ebico can you do emails for readings but get bill in post?

I need it for the Bank Giro Credit Slip.
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 14th Apr 18, 8:38 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    Xbigman
    I just had a look at their website, which is pretty basic TBH. There isn't an option to change communication settings. Possibly phone and ask for paper bills?

Darren

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 15th Apr 18, 11:31 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    With Ebico can you do emails for readings but get bill in post?

I need it for the Bank Giro Credit Slip.
    Originally posted by mbmonty
    You can request paper bills as there is no online discount for Ebico Zero (There is for Prime)

Their bills dont have a bank giro slip but a code to scan at a Post Office
    • PaschalFun
    • By PaschalFun 15th Apr 18, 1:53 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    PaschalFun

2. Why would you say so sorry? So even if the day usage is 0.5 and night 0.5 by proportion, the average rate is under 0.10. Don't think many offer this rate. Hope you can explain why only some would benefit. What are the restrictions that I am not reading properly?
    Originally posted by pnat
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2017/11/free-electricity-at-night-for-economy-7-with-ebico---but-is-it-cheap
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 15th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    mbmonty
    Thanks for the heads up, but I think she got that

Thank you very much. Didn't note that. So yes a cap at 60% won't suit all.

Thank you very much with that feedback.
    Originally posted by pnat
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 24th Apr 18, 9:24 AM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 7,090 Thanks
    Ilona
    I can't comment on that particular tariff, but I have been with Ebico for five years, first SSE and now RHE. I am not locked in, no penalties for leaving. On zero standing charge, pay quarterly on a bill. As a low user it works for me. Only one glitch with them, they send me a letter asking for meter readings when I already supply them on their web site. They are slow at sending bills, haven't had one since November, but I am not bothered, I have the money to pay. I spoke to them on the phone yesterday, answered straight away, nice young lady, so now I expect an up to date bill soon, hopefully.

Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    At last, I have two quarterly bills arrived at the same time. I sent an email, then rang them, WHERE IS MY BILL?

So, my bills cover the periods 12th October to 11th January, and 12th January to 11th April. Total payable 285.82, which is what I expected, as I have been using the heating a bit more than previous winters because it has been so cold. My 200 winter fuel allowance has paid for a large part of this.

There was a price increase in March which they told me about. Electricity went from 15.19 p/kWh to 16.10 p/kWh. Gas went from 4.73 p/kWh to 4.96 p/kWh. I am on Ebico Zero tariff.

I expect a lot less in my summer bills, the gas heating will not be turned on until the late Autumn, so it will only be for cooking and heating a tank of water once a week. My electricity consumption rises only a little bit in the winter because of the longer nights, more lights on.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • RandomQ
    • By RandomQ 25th Apr 18, 3:14 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    RandomQ
    At last, I have two quarterly bills arrived at the same time. I sent an email, then rang them, WHERE IS MY BILL?

So, my bills cover the periods 12th October to 11th January, and 12th January to 11th April. Total payable 285.82, which is what I expected, as I have been using the heating a bit more than previous winters because it has been so cold. My 200 winter fuel allowance has paid for a large part of this.

There was a price increase in March which they told me about. Electricity went from 15.19 p/kWh to 16.10 p/kWh. Gas went from 4.73 p/kWh to 4.96 p/kWh. I am on Ebico Zero tariff.

I expect a lot less in my summer bills, the gas heating will not be turned on until the late Autumn, so it will only be for cooking and heating a tank of water once a week. My electricity consumption rises only a little bit in the winter because of the longer nights, more lights on.

Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    Thanks Ilona

My Niece needs a new provider and I suggested one with no standing charges as she is likely to be low user.

She does not like direct debit though, does your quoted rate include the discount they refer to for direct debit?

I think it is really sick to link the unit rate to direct debit, I have learnt the hard way never to let an energy company have free access to my bank account.

BTW how does anyone make head or tail from the Tariff info with Ebico, I thought things were supposed to be easy these days!

Tariff Information

There are 14 supply regions in Britain for electricity and Gas and there are different costs associated with the supply of each region. For that reason our tariffs have different price for each region.

Our current Tariffs

Name Fuel Meter type Payment method Tariff information
    Ebico Night Owl Electricity Credit meter, two rate (economy 7) Monthly Fixed Direct Debit View
    Ebico Night Owl Electricity Credit meter, two rate (economy 7) Quarterly Direct Debit View
    Ebico PrePay Electricity Prepayment meter, single rate Pay as you go View
    Ebico PrePay Electricity Prepayment meter, two rate (economy 7) Pay as you go View
    Ebico PrePay GAS Prepayment meter, single rate Pay as you go View
    Ebico Prime 18 Fixed Electricity Credit meter, single rate Monthly Fixed Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime 18 Fixed Electricity Credit meter, two rate (economy 7) Monthly Fixed Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime 18 Fixed GAS Credit meter, single rate Monthly Fixed Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime 18 Fixed Electricity Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime 18 Fixed Electricity Credit meter, two rate (economy 7) Quarterly Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime 18 Fixed GAS Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime 18 Fixed Electricity Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Receipt of bill View
    Ebico Prime 18 Fixed Electricity Credit meter, two rate (economy 7) Quarterly Receipt of bill View
    Ebico Prime 18 Fixed GAS Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Receipt of bill View
    Ebico Prime Fixed 12 Electricity Credit meter, single rate Monthly Fixed Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime Fixed 12 Electricity Credit meter, two rate (economy 7) Monthly Fixed Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime Fixed 12 GAS Credit meter, single rate Monthly Fixed Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime Fixed 12 Electricity Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime Fixed 12 Electricity Credit meter, two rate (economy 7) Quarterly Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime Fixed 12 GAS Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime Fixed 12 Electricity Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Receipt of bill View
    Ebico Prime Fixed 12 Electricity Credit meter, two rate (economy 7) Quarterly Receipt of bill View
    Ebico Prime Fixed 12 GAS Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Receipt of bill View
    Ebico Zero Electricity Credit meter, single rate Monthly Fixed Direct Debit View
    Ebico Zero Electricity Credit meter, two rate (economy 7) Monthly Fixed Direct Debit View
    Ebico Zero GAS Credit meter, single rate Monthly Fixed Direct Debit View
    Ebico Zero Electricity Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Direct Debit View
    Ebico Zero Electricity Credit meter, two rate (economy 7) Quarterly Direct Debit View
    Ebico Zero GAS Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Direct Debit View
    Ebico Zero Electricity Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Receipt of bill View
    Ebico Zero Electricity Credit meter, two rate (economy 7) Quarterly Receipt of bill View
    Ebico Zero GAS Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Receipt of bill View

Our previous Tariffs

Name Fuel Meter type Payment method Tariff information
    Ebico Prime Fixed Electricity Credit meter, single rate Monthly Fixed Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime Fixed Electricity Credit meter, two rate (economy 7) Monthly Fixed Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime Fixed GAS Credit meter, single rate Monthly Fixed Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime Fixed Electricity Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime Fixed Electricity Credit meter, two rate (economy 7) Quarterly Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime Fixed GAS Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Direct Debit View
    Ebico Prime Fixed Electricity Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Receipt of bill View
    Ebico Prime Fixed Electricity Credit meter, two rate (economy 7) Quarterly Receipt of bill View
    Ebico Prime Fixed GAS Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Receipt of bill View
    Last edited by RandomQ; 25-04-2018 at 3:18 PM.
    • RandomQ
    • By RandomQ 25th Apr 18, 3:28 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    RandomQ
    Managed to make it simpler by sorting by payment type, then by meter type, so there are effectively three tariffs

12 Ebico Prime 18 Fixed Electricity Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Receipt of bill
    14 Ebico Prime 18 Fixed GAS Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Receipt of bill

21 Ebico Prime Fixed 12 Electricity Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Receipt of bill
    23 Ebico Prime Fixed 12 GAS Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Receipt of bill

30 Ebico Zero Electricity Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Receipt of bill
    32 Ebico Zero GAS Credit meter, single rate Quarterly Receipt of bill
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 25th Apr 18, 4:14 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 2,384 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I had my Ebico bill for the last quarter only this morning with readings I supplied, so within pence of what I expected and paid online already. The gas was a bit high due to the cold winter and me running out of seasoned wood but 35 seems OK to me :-) and for the next 5/6 months the solar panels will provide all the hot water and the next bill should be pretty well zero.

As a low user their tariffs work for me - if I'd stayed with SSE on their standard tariff I'd have been paying about 50 less than my annual bill on standing charges alone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

36Posts Today

2,652Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin