Robin Hood Energy or EBICO

Legacy_user
Legacy_user Posts: 0 Newbie
edited 29 October 2018 at 10:51AM in Energy
Hi

Hope you are all well.

I was thinking of switching from a Big 6 supplier to EBICO (they seem to have this tariff where there is 0.42 standing charge, 0.18 day rate and 0.00 night rate for a fixed 12 months contract). I am off the gas network and with an E7 meter. However the reviews online say they tend to overcharge you by insisting that you pay for their estimate and not the actual amounts used at the end of the year (when do the checking and adjustment is done).

Do you any any experience with them?

Thank you so much.

{personal info removed by MSE Forum Team}

Comments

• PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    I understood you need to have a Smart Meter for this tariff ... or at least go on their waiting list for one.

Where are these reviews of which you speak - don't tell me, Trustpilot :cool:
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It's an interesting tariff but there are restrictions on it that mean that very few customers would benefit in real terms. 10/10 for innovation but 2/10 for practical value.

Look elsewhere.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    1. Sorry if this sounds bad but I was referring to their Google reviews.
    With the meter no I think an E7 is fine with them.

2. Why would you say so sorry? So even if the day usage is 0.5 and night 0.5 by proportion, the average rate is under 0.10. Don't think many offer this rate. Hope you can explain why only some would benefit. What are the restrictions that I am not reading properly?
  • There's a high night usage restriction of 60% and the Daily SC is higher than a typical E7 tariff.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    I had a year with Ebico. no problems at all on their Ebico zero tariff
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you very much. Didn't note that. So yes a cap at 60% won't suit all.

Thank you very much with that feedback.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I can't comment on that particular tariff, but I have been with Ebico for five years, first SSE and now RHE. I am not locked in, no penalties for leaving. On zero standing charge, pay quarterly on a bill. As a low user it works for me. Only one glitch with them, they send me a letter asking for meter readings when I already supply them on their web site. They are slow at sending bills, haven't had one since November, but I am not bothered, I have the money to pay. I spoke to them on the phone yesterday, answered straight away, nice young lady, so now I expect an up to date bill soon, hopefully. :D

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I've been with Ebico for around 10 years now, when it was the ethical company with no standard charge and run by SSE.

I switched over to Ebico zero in April 2017 which is run by Robin Hood Energy. No standard charge, no penalty if I switch supplier and hassle free billing system.

I get a letter sent every 3 month asking for my meter readings, January, April, July and November. I phone the automated line and punch in my meter readings and around 10 days later I get my bill.

I am with Ebico because there is no daily standard charge and I like a hassle free billing system which I can pay quarterly instead of monthly.

I know the gas and electric price of the units is higher than other companies and I could probably save a little bit of money by switching but not much the last time I checked. I don't like to jump into the unknown by switching just to save a couple of quid a year so I stay with Ebico for it's efficient and hassle free billing and it's zero standing charge is perfect for my household.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I noticed two comments about letters. I deal with Ebico purely online and by email. Reading's reminders are emailed and bills sent as PDF attachments. I thought it worked that way for everyone?

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Xbigman wrote: »
    I noticed two comments about letters. I deal with Ebico purely online and by email. Reading's reminders are emailed and bills sent as PDF attachments. I thought it worked that way for everyone?

Darren

I believe the reason I get letters requesting my readings is because of the switch over from Ebico SSE to Ebico Robin Hood >>>>>

Can you remember when there was all the confusion of switching? The part I'm meaning is when all the Ebico customers received a letter saying if you want to stay with them, then do nothing. This instruction happened to be incorrect at the time.

Then once the confusion was settled we all had to register by a certain date to be eligible as RH customer.

Well, I couldn't register online as the site was down, I kept getting error code or something like that. So I filled the paper form of application and mailed it to them. I was sent in returned from them a congratulations you're an Ebico Robin Hood customer and a switch date was given.

I think because all my communication with Ebico has been postal only rather than online since the beginning has been the reason for my letters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure