Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moremore
    • By moremore 13th Apr 18, 11:51 AM
    • 444Posts
    • 102Thanks
    moremore
    Landline phone with no broadband prices
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:51 AM
    Landline phone with no broadband prices 13th Apr 18 at 11:51 AM
    I am using a dongle for internet when my contract ends shortly with my provider.
    Does anyone know what the charges for keep landline phone only without broadband/internet or where I would get information on prices as it does not appear to come up on google
Page 1
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 13th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    used to be about 19/month for phone only.

But good news.

BT and 1 other? are dropping it to stop ripping off the elderly
    • moremore
    • By moremore 13th Apr 18, 12:35 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    moremore
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:35 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:35 PM
    Good I think I may have to do that as well...hate greedy companies.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 13th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 9,373 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    used to be about 19/month for phone only.

But good news.

BT and 1 other? are dropping it to stop ripping off the elderly
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    Dropping it if you don't have broadband. The OP has broadband.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 13th Apr 18, 2:11 PM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:11 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:11 PM
    Does anyone know what the charges for keep landline phone only without broadband/internet
    Originally posted by moremore
    No it won't happen automatically, but I guess you can move to it ?
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 13th Apr 18, 2:20 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 973 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:20 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:20 PM
    And do be aware you will be charged a broadband cessation fee.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 13th Apr 18, 2:35 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:35 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:35 PM
    Dropping it if you don't have broadband. The OP has broadband.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    Yes, but if he's getting rid of the wired broadband and using a dongle, how will BT know he is still using broadband, albeit via his mobile operator?
    • moremore
    • By moremore 19th Apr 18, 5:05 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    moremore
    • 19th Apr 18, 5:05 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 5:05 PM
    Just had awful conversation with guy from PlusNet I want to cancel my landline with them have not taken out new contract with them as they are not upfront when speak to them on phone they keep going back on what they have said to confuse me. Do I have to send them email for them to cancel landline or just leave it they told me on phone my landline was restricted do I need them to confirm that it has been cancel. i seldom use landline so not going to affect me whatsoever it been cancel.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 20th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 20th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    • 20th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    Cancel landline or move to another landline provider ??

Move just let your new provider handle it all .

Outright cancel with no services over landline just cancel .Suggest you send a written recorded delivery letter if problems cancelling .

No idea what Resticted Landline means in your post .
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 20th Apr 18, 10:59 AM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Does anyone know what the charges for keep landline phone only without broadband/internet
    I seldom use landline so not going to affect me whatsoever it been cancel.
    I'm confused, do you want a landline or not?
    • moremore
    • By moremore 20th Apr 18, 11:38 AM
    • 444 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    moremore
    No I got no need for landline never use it and want to cancelled it but PlusNet does not want to let go
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 20th Apr 18, 12:27 PM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    You are paying landline monthly on a 30 day contract .
    Do you currently have any other services from PN like broadband .
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 20th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    iniltous
    No I got no need for landline never use it and want to cancelled it but PlusNet does not want to let go
    TBH, Plusnet cannot stop you ceasing your services with them, but if you are within a minimum term it may incur early termination charges, and if not within a minimum term the final bill could include a broadband cease fee.
    How exactly did the conversation with Plusnet go ?, after all if you called and said 'I want to leave , consider this call my notice to quit', or words to that effect, seems odd that they would reply ' you cannot leave', not wanting you leave isn't the same as not letting you, all you have to do is insist they act on your instructions
    As far as your original question, BT have to offer reduced price line rental to customers who don't also have a fixed line broadband service , as far as I know , it's 11.99, the Post Office , although not obligated to, also offer a similar reduced price line rental for phone only customers, if you don't need a landline at all, seems odd to switch from Plusnet to someone else,( thus starting a new minimum term) just so you don't have to deal with Plusnet's customer service reluctance to process your request to cease your services
    Last edited by iniltous; 20-04-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 20th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Even more confused .

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74186275#post74186275
    • moremore
    • By moremore 20th Apr 18, 1:11 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    moremore
    As far as I am aware my term finished with them on 18 April with new contract I had with them. the said I paid landline for year in February but which I though the new contract would make old condition Null and Void. Plusnet would not accept it despite them making incorrect charges on my account they told me quickest way to get fit the over changing was for me to stop direct debit and insert bank details on to their website again which I done but they refused to accept my bank details I was using I put back on their website. Each time I went into their website it had same amount on it so I refused to pay their over-charging and i was put on limited services. I paid them overcharge amount and advise them I did not want to renew my contract with them. They sent me email saying they would send outstanding amount to debt collecting agency and they will also add charges. I am so cross with them I paid it and now they want more maybe for landline not sure but I feel safer if my landline was not with them. PlusNet nasty awful company. I think I will have to advise my bank not to release my money to them.
    • moremore
    • By moremore 20th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    moremore
    Sorry for your confusion would it help you if I go back and delete that post.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 20th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I think I will have to advise my bank not to release my money to them.
    Taking a leap of faith that your enquiry is genuine then expect debt collectors to follow not long after you do this.
    • moremore
    • By moremore 20th Apr 18, 1:30 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    moremore
    TBH, Plusnet cannot stop you ceasing your services with them, but if you are within a minimum term it may incur early termination charges, and if not within a minimum term the final bill could include a broadband cease fee.
    How exactly did the conversation with Plusnet go ?, after all if you called and said 'I want to leave , consider this call my notice to quit', or words to that effect, seems odd that they would reply ' you cannot leave', not wanting you leave isn't the same as not letting you, all you have to do is insist they act on your instructions
    As far as your original question, BT have to offer reduced price line rental to customers who don't also have a fixed line broadband service , as far as I know , it's 11.99, the Post Office , although not obligated to, also offer a similar reduced price line rental for phone only customers, if you don't need a landline at all, seems odd to switch from Plusnet to someone else,( thus starting a new minimum term) just so you don't have to deal with Plusnet's customer service reluctance to process your request to cease your services
    Originally posted by iniltous
    Thank you for helpful advice I will check what I said to them to be on safe side I will go on their website and quote what you advise consider this my notice to quit' your service.
    • WebDude
    • By WebDude 20th Apr 18, 2:36 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WebDude
    Maybe it would be better to ask what you do need, in the way of phone calls and broadband ?

A landline is almost always needed to get broadband service (unless you are using Virgin Media, or a firm like Hyperoptic, which offer service to users without BT wiring). There's also FTTH where a fibre is connected right up to your home/ office and voice calls are not offered on that.

There are some (smaller) ISPs which can rent you a landline without the option of phone calls, at about 10/month (possibly +VAT, as these are mainly aimed at business users), but line rental is pretty much required, from someone, even if you never plan to make any voice calls (because the data for your broadband comes along the phone line, and the line rental fee is to cover maintenance and repair of the line, and the exchange, to be sure you have a working connection [for voice, the data is just a bonus]).
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 20th Apr 18, 2:57 PM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    OP has already said he does not want a landline .
    Going to start using Mobile bb data .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,338Posts Today

8,060Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin