Help to Save NOW OPEN: when it's worth it, and when it isn't!

Options
chiefnoodle
chiefnoodle Posts: 132 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 13 April 2018 at 2:28PM in Savings & investments
There is some confusion about for whom it is worth saving in the new "Help to Save" a/cs. I'm surprised I can't find any pages which have actually crunched the numbers. So I'm going to pitch in. For anyone who doesn't know the rules, they're here, [edit: you can go there to apply and open one now, I've opened for my wife and myself already].

In the first two years its a no-brainer. Unless you are on one of those 49.9% credit cards, if you're eligible jump at it, feed in the max of £50/month.

CALCULATION: over the 2 years you'll build up a total of £50 * 24 months = £1,200. The bonus you get is £600, so you end up with £1,800.
A standard savings account which would match this would have to pay 44.5% interest. I won't start the calculations here, just go to a "Regular Savings Calculator" like no. 1 or no. 2, input the following
Monthly payment:£50
Duration (years): 2
Interest rate (annually): 44.5%
==> RESULT: Your investment will be worth:£1,800.77

So again, unless you have a savings account which pays more than 44% (after tax), or you've debt which costs more than 44%, Help to Save is for you FOR THE FIRST TWO YEARS.

For the second 2-year period its not so simple. They make it look as though its as good, but its not at all, its almost 3 times less! Tricksy hobbitses. This is because apart from the monthly amount, you also have to have the first £1,200 sitting there. (The first £600 bonus is paid out to your bank account so you can do whatever you want with it, so isn't relevant to the following).

CALCULATION: over the second 2 years you'll build up an additional £50 * 24 months = £1,200, plus the original £1,200 from the first 2 years, to a total of £2,400. The bonus you get is again £600, so you end up with £3,000.
A standard savings account which would match this would have to pay 15.5% interest. For this you have to use calculator no. 2 which allows you to input an initial amount, and input the following
Initial amount: £1200
Monthly payment:£50
Duration (years): 2
Interest rate (annually): 15.5%
==> RESULT: Your investment will be worth: £3,000.00

So for the second 2-year period its very questionable whether its worth it or not. Its certainly better than savings, but not better than a lot of credit cards, as even within the normal range you can easily find rates higher than 15.5%.

CONCLUSION: (almost) certainly go for it in the first two years, in the second two years think about it!

NAME AND SHAME: these two [STRIKE]trusted[/STRIKE] websites which haven't bothered to work it out properly and are therefore AFAIK giving inaccurate advice:

1) this Which article says right at the bottom "Help to Save is meant to encourage working people on low incomes to build up their savings. But, if you have expensive debts to clear, make this the priority" - in the first two years this will hardly ever be the case, the article should explain this

2) A certain Mr M. Lewis :money: quoted in this MSE article as saying "there is a risk 'Help to Save' could substantially mis-prioritize people's finances. ... the cost of debt for most usually vastly outweighs the gain of saving", and that you should pay back a 30% credit card before using Help to Save. As explained this is WRONG in the first two years, although he is correct about the second 2 years. Again, disappointing that they haven't crunched the numbers, I mean that is their job isn't it :angry::naughty:

QUESTION: does anyone know why the thisismoney calculator gives different results to the 2 calculators I've used? According to them, the figure in the first calculation should be 40.26% instead of 44.5%, quite a difference!

EXTRA TIP: You can choose the monthly payment date from the whole month and it doesn't make a difference. I.e. if you open the account on 1st May, it doesn't matter whether you pay in money on the 1st or the 15th or the 30th. So I suggest you make your standing order as late as possible in the month so that you can earn interest on it until then in your normal savings account. (Just don't make it too late or a bank holiday could push the payment until the next month, e.g. if the 30th is a Saturday, and this will presumably mean you've missed the month's payment chance. And don't forget about Xmas :xmassmile).

PS: If you can't afford the full £50 a month, the same %ages are true no matter what your monthly payment is.

Comments

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you. This is the first I have heard of "help to save"

For others like me here is a link describing it https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/help-to-save-what-it-is-and-who-its-for/the-help-to-save-scheme

A bit confusing for me "entitled to Working Tax Credit and receiving Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit payments"

I earn too much for working tax credit but do get child tax credit. Would I be able to have one of these accounts.

No mention of where or how you apply?
  • chiefnoodle
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »
    I earn too much for working tax credit but do get child tax credit. Would I be able to have one of these accounts.

There are several other threads discussing these points. Just google Help to Save. Please can we not take this thread off-topic, which is to discuss for whom Help to Save is worth it, not who is eligible etc
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thread title might be a bit misleading, as far as I'm aware it's not "NOW OPEN", the accounts aren't likely to be available until the autumn
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • chiefnoodle
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Thread title might be a bit misleading, as far as I'm aware it's not "NOW OPEN", the accounts aren't likely to be available until the autumn

AFAIK they are open for everyone now. I opened accounts for my wife and I yesterday successfully online. Which is why I crunched the numbers.

I know MSE hasn't reported this yet, or most places, but HUKD has, I find they're normally a bit quicker off the mark - see https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/help-to-save-account-govuk-pay-in-up-to-50-per-month-up-to-50-bonus-on-the-money-youve-paid-in-2924757, there are a lot of people there who report successfully opening accounts.

To apply just follow the link there, or go straight here https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/help-to-save/apply.
  • Jenwales_2
    Jenwales_2 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have an isa but I want to change it to a normal account because I can't always afford to save. However most of them don't allow withdrawals and I may need to withdraw as I am moving house this year and will need the money
  • chiefnoodle
    Options
    Jenwales wrote: »
    i have an isa but I want to change it to a normal account because I can't always afford to save. However most of them don't allow withdrawals and I may need to withdraw as I am moving house this year and will need the money

??? unclear what you mean
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jenwales wrote: »

All Cash ISAs you can withdraw from, its in the legislation. A fixed-rate Cash ISA must give you the option for early withdrawal, the penalty is typically anywhere up to a year's interest. Easy access ISAs work in the same way as any other account.

You can get an easy-access savings account from anywhere, just sign up for one and transfer the money out (or ask your current provider if they can covert it) the ISA and into the new account.
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Options
    Remember to factor in the 41p in the £1 reduction in the CTC/WTC we'll all get as a result of getting the bonus paid ;)
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • chiefnoodle
    Options
    stoozie1 wrote: »
    Remember to factor in the 41p in the £1 reduction in the CTC/WTC we'll all get as a result of getting the bonus paid ;)

Do you mean after 2 years (and again after 4 years) when the £600 bonus is paid, that that payment will reduce Tax Credits (or Housing Benefit for those in receipt of that as well)?
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To apply just follow the link there, or go straight here https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/help-to-save/apply.

I’m being my cautious self here, but that link looks kind of suspicious/phishing to me....
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport