Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TG18
    • By TG18 12th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TG18
    Shared ownership - advice needed on renting to a friend while away
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    Shared ownership - advice needed on renting to a friend while away 12th Apr 18 at 6:09 PM
    Hello I was wondering whether anyone has any advice on this.

I am the tenant in a shared ownership flat - I have a mortgage for 25% and the rest I pay is rent to a housing association. I want to take a year out from the usual to do something productive, whether that be studying or charity work abroad.

If I was to go abroad, there's little chance I could cover my mortgage and rent here in the UK, as well as my expenses there, without a friend staying in my flat and covering what I pay. I wouldn't want to make a profit, just simply bring in someone I trust to pay what I do while I'm away for a definite period. I think I could find someone.

My tenancy says that I can't sublet to other people and although I wouldn't be making a profit, it would still technically be subletting.

Has anyone else ever been in a similar situation or do you have any advice?

Some people have said just do it and the housing association won't care as long as their rent is paid. But that's risky. Others have said ask the housing association, but if I do that they'll go by the book and say No.

I am fortunate to have the flat and I worked hard to get it, so I don't want to lose it as I think it's unlikely I'd ever be as fortunate again.
Page 1
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 12th Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    • 12,114 Posts
    • 17,058 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:46 PM

I am the tenant in a shared ownership flat - I have a mortgage for 25% and the rest I pay is rent to a housing association. I want to take a year out from the usual to do something productive, whether that be studying or charity work abroad.

If I was to go abroad, there's little chance I could cover my mortgage and rent here in the UK, as well as my expenses there, without a friend staying in my flat and covering what I pay. I wouldn't want to make a profit, just simply bring in someone I trust to pay what I do while I'm away for a definite period. I think I could find someone.

My tenancy says that I can't sublet to other people and although I wouldn't be making a profit, it would still technically be subletting.

Some people have said just do it and the housing association won't care as long as their rent is paid. But that's risky. Others have said ask the housing association, but if I do that they'll go by the book and say No.

I am fortunate to have the flat and I worked hard to get it, so I don't want to lose it as I think it's unlikely I'd ever be as fortunate again.
    Originally posted by TG18
    Stop with the technicalities because they aren't technicalities. You wouldn't technically be subletting, legally you would be subletting. As for making a profit you either do or you don't. How are you calculating the profit?

It's not just consent to let from the HA you'll need but from the mortgage lender as well. You will also need to declare the rental income to HMRC and comply with all the necessary landlord legislation. Only you can decide if breaching the terms of your lease and mortgage are worth the risk or you could always ask for consent.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 13th Apr 18, 1:37 AM
    • 4,366 Posts
    • 6,248 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:37 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:37 AM

Originally posted by TG18

It is really very simple. If someone else lives there instead of you even if they don't pay rent you have sublet it which you are not allowed to do.

This means that you can't go abroad for a year while still owning this house so you have a choice. Either you a) sell it and go abroad or you b) keep it and don't go abroad.

You can't always have what you want.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 13th Apr 18, 7:24 AM
    • 37,235 Posts
    • 156,858 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:24 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:24 AM
    If you keep a room for your use, keep all your possessions there, return to the property at will during your travelling, you may be able to take a lodger. Your friend may be happy with this arrangement.
    • TG18
    • By TG18 13th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TG18
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    Thanks for your responses.

Looks like I'll just have to sell, but if that's the case there's no harm in asking the HA, even if I think it's almost certain they'll say no.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,693Posts Today

5,948Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin