Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SunDun111
    • By SunDun111 12th Apr 18, 5:47 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SunDun111
    Help credit card Fraud
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:47 PM
    Help credit card Fraud 12th Apr 18 at 5:47 PM
    A few weeks ago, someone used my PIN number and took 240 pounds out of my account, I rang my bank when i found out in the morning, and they was investigating as it occured at a tesco close to where i live, i then discovered my friend stole it and took the money out, he gave me the cash back. I didnt know what to say to the bank so i have carried on letting them investigate, as my friends said it would look strange if i cancelled the investigation, they just said the bank wouldnt refund me, but the bank keeps calling me, i dont know what to do? What if they say i have acted fraudulently which is a criminal offence, i am a bit nervous any help? I just assumed they would of told me by no they cant refund me.
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 12th Apr 18, 6:06 PM
    • 8,253 Posts
    • 10,525 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:06 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:06 PM
    The radical idea of telling the truth should cross your mind before you make a personal gain from this.

I'd also find a new friend and change all PIN numbers.

I assume he's refunded any fees and interest too.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 12th Apr 18, 6:10 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:10 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:10 PM
    Anyone who gives his 'friend' his PIN is asking for trouble.
    Your friend stole your money, he is a thief. Tell the bank and the police or be prepared to face the consequences.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 12th Apr 18, 6:16 PM
    • 6,858 Posts
    • 7,112 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:16 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:16 PM
    Help credit card Fraud
    Originally posted by SunDun111
    I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say you've committed fraud but you're sailing dangerously close to it, so the sooner you come clean to the bank the better.

As per the previous post, if your friend got access to your PIN then you'll have breached the Ts & Cs of the card by not protecting this, so you should prepare yourself for the possibility that your card account will be closed.
    • SunDun111
    • By SunDun111 12th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SunDun111
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    i am a bit confused, first off its a student account and my friend (whos not my friend anymore) gave the money back, but if i tell the bank the truth do i have to give his name? couldnt i just say it was a mistake and my friend did it when he was drunk, i was just assuming the bank would drop the case? i am really confused and havent actually done anything wrong? If the bank continue to investigate could i actually get done for fraud because they cant really prove ive been fraudulent?
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 12th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    Tallaght
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    Have you ever asked someone to withdraw money from your card at a ATM ?
    • newuser86
    • By newuser86 12th Apr 18, 7:28 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    newuser86
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:28 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:28 PM
    Contact the bank, explain that you made a mistake and that the transaction has been accounted for. Stop wasting their time as some one is obviously investigating this for you.
    The minute you were aware that it wasn't a fraud is the moment your actions have become unlawful as you are making a false report.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 12th Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    i am a bit confused, first off its a student account and my friend (whos not my friend anymore) gave the money back, but if i tell the bank the truth do i have to give his name? couldnt i just say it was a mistake and my friend did it when he was drunk, i was just assuming the bank would drop the case? i am really confused and havent actually done anything wrong? If the bank continue to investigate could i actually get done for fraud because they cant really prove ive been fraudulent?
    This is from Barclays Bank, others will be very similar:

You must do all you reasonably can to keep your payment tools safe. Donít choose a PIN or password that is easy for someone else to guess (such as 1234 or your date of birth). You must not give your payment tools to someone else or let someone else use them, or do anything that would let someone else use them, such as writing them down in a way that someone else could understand, keeping the letter carrying a PIN, or giving someone else access to a device like a mobile phone you keep your details on.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 12th Apr 18, 7:35 PM
    • 6,858 Posts
    • 7,112 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:35 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:35 PM
    As things stand you've effectively (or actually) told the bank that money has been withdrawn from your account without your knowledge and that you're presumably expecting them to reimburse the transaction.

While the use of the PIN makes it unlikely that they'll reimburse anyway, the fact that you haven't advised them that you know what happened means that you're currently making a claim under false pretences.

Why are you so keen to protect your (ex-)friend anyway, as he's the one who got you into all this? When you fess up to the bank, if they ask for his name then tell them, and let him face any consequences of his stupid actions....
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 12th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    • 8,253 Posts
    • 10,525 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    i am a bit confused
    The answers you've had shouldn't be confusing.

first off its a student account
    Irrelevant.

and my friend (whos not my friend anymore) gave the money back
    So you're not out of pocket.

but if i tell the bank the truth do i have to give his name? couldnt i just say it was a mistake and my friend did it when he was drunk, i was just assuming the bank would drop the case?
    Just tell them that you no longer wish to pursue your fraudulent transaction allegation.

i am really confused and havent actually done anything wrong?
    Leaving your bank investigating a fraud claim when you've been reimbursed is as bent as anything.

If the bank continue to investigate could i actually get done for fraud because they cant really prove ive been fraudulent?
    Do what's been suggested and there shouldn't be a problem.

Carry on claiming and you could end up in trouble. With more than your bank.
    • SunDun111
    • By SunDun111 12th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SunDun111
    First of can i just say he did it without me knowing, and I dont want to give his name away because I don't know what the bank would do? even though hes my ex-friend I still dont want to ruin the guy.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 12th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    • 8,253 Posts
    • 10,525 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    First of can i just say he did it without me knowing, and I dont want to give his name away because I don't know what the bank would do? even though hes my ex-friend I still dont want to ruin the guy.
    You've not read my reply. I suggest you do.

But carry on being wishy washy about this and you could end up with no banking facilities and a CIFAS fraud marker that stops you getting replacement facilities.
    • SunDun111
    • By SunDun111 12th Apr 18, 8:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SunDun111
    I read your reply just now sorry! so is it ok if i just cancel the investigation? wouldnt they ask why, if so i will do that tommorow
    • redpete
    • By redpete 12th Apr 18, 11:53 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 3,766 Thanks
    redpete
    They might ask why, explain that you have discovered that it was not fraudulent, if they keep asking then say you would rather not say any more but that you have changed the PIN (you have haven't you?) and it is no longer at risk.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 13th Apr 18, 3:39 AM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 981 Thanks
    Ben8282
    I think that what must be done is for the OP to contact the bank, apologise and say that they completely forgot about making the withdrawal. Nothing more. That should be an end to the matter.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 13th Apr 18, 7:18 AM
    • 516 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    John-K
    A few weeks ago, someone used my PIN number and took 240 pounds out of my account, I rang my bank when i found out in the morning, and they was investigating as it occured at a tesco close to where i live, i then discovered my friend stole it and took the money out, he gave me the cash back. I didnt know what to say to the bank so i have carried on letting them investigate, as my friends said it would look strange if i cancelled the investigation, they just said the bank wouldnt refund me, but the bank keeps calling me, i dont know what to do? What if they say i have acted fraudulently which is a criminal offence, i am a bit nervous any help? I just assumed they would of told me by no they cant refund me.
    At this point, they would be right, you are acting fraudulently. If they work out what has happened expect a fraud marker and to be frozen out of the mainstream financial system for years.

You need to involve the police, give the crime number to your bank, and explain what happened.

Hiding fraudulent activity is never going to be a good idea.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 13th Apr 18, 7:21 AM
    • 516 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    John-K
    Of course youíve done something wrong. You allowed your pin to be compromised, and you are now wasting the bankís time by not telling them what happened.

Your friend may well be investigated for theft, you may well be prosecuted for fraud, and if you are a student you may find yourself kicked off your course and unemployable if you play silly !!!!!!s from this point.

As above, be honest, report your friend to the police, tell the bank, and you should be fine.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 13th Apr 18, 7:24 AM
    • 516 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    John-K
    I think that what must be done is for the OP to contact the bank, apologise and say that they completely forgot about making the withdrawal. Nothing more. That should be an end to the matter.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    Brilliant. This forum never disappoints, there is always one idiot who suggests committing fraud as a first response.

How wil you explain the pictures of someone else making the withdrawal, Einstein? You know, the ones that the bank has already compared to the previous ones they have showing our OP making previous withdrawals?
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 13th Apr 18, 7:31 AM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 981 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Brilliant. This forum never disappoints, there is always one idiot who suggests committing fraud as a first response.

How wil you explain the pictures of someone else making the withdrawal, Einstein? You know, the ones that the bank has already compared to the previous ones they have showing our OP making previous withdrawals?
    Originally posted by John-K

Stop scaremongering. OP says mistake. That's the end of it.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 13th Apr 18, 7:51 AM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    Robin9
    I don't think it will be the end of the matter - OP has breached T&C's in that he didn't keep his PIN secure.

Expect the CC company to close the account.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,659Posts Today

8,576Users online

Martin's Twitter