Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miss.Fortune
    • By Miss.Fortune 12th Apr 18, 12:00 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 37Thanks
    Miss.Fortune
    Dripping tap. But how do I take it apart?
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:00 PM
    Dripping tap. But how do I take it apart? 12th Apr 18 at 12:00 PM
    Hi,

I have a dripping bath tap.

I have watched & read endless tutorials for all different kinds of taps but can't see any for the type I have, which look like this..

(not the exact tap but similar in style)
    https://www.reuter-shop.com/jado-geometry-pillar-tap-a21615.php

They are two separate taps for hot & cold.

So my question is, how am I supposed to get inside to replace the washer?

The videos I've seen all have bits to unscrew or pop off. However, I can't see any screws or anything obvious and I've tried to unscrew the whole of the top section but I didn't want to try too hard to force it and completely break the tap.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as it's driving me mad!

Thanks
Page 1
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 12th Apr 18, 12:37 PM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 928 Thanks
    Ruski
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:37 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:37 PM
    That's a quarter turn tap and has a ceramic cartridge, not a washer per se

Either there will be a small access hole on the back of the 'turny' thing to access a grub screw, or that rod will inscrew exposing a grub screw, or the whole 'turny' thing needs to be levered off in one piece, Bristan are like that and are a nightmare!

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • cranford
    • By cranford 12th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    cranford
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    Not like the old taps where a washer will fit all the ceramic cartridge is often very specific to a particular manufacturer and the whole value has to be replaced.
    So you will need to know the make and model of the tap to have any chance of fixing it.
    They are not cheap, my monobloc that cost 100 was leaking and the ceramic values are 32 a pair. I was able to get one for free as still had the guarantee.
    • Miss.Fortune
    • By Miss.Fortune 12th Apr 18, 2:34 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Miss.Fortune
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:34 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:34 PM
    That's a quarter turn tap and has a ceramic cartridge, not a washer per se

Either there will be a small access hole on the back of the 'turny' thing to access a grub screw, or that rod will inscrew exposing a grub screw, or the whole 'turny' thing needs to be levered off in one piece, Bristan are like that and are a nightmare!

HTH

Russ
    Originally posted by Ruski
    Fab, thank you. I had not come across the term Quarter Turn in my limited research.

That gives me some idea of how to go at it. Will give them all a go if I can.

Not like the old taps where a washer will fit all the ceramic cartridge is often very specific to a particular manufacturer and the whole value has to be replaced.
    So you will need to know the make and model of the tap to have any chance of fixing it.
    They are not cheap, my monobloc that cost 100 was leaking and the ceramic values are 32 a pair. I was able to get one for free as still had the guarantee.
    Originally posted by cranford

Cheers. I have no idea what make they are & not sure it says on them. They were in when we bought the house.

Hope it's not a full replacement job. Extremely difficult to get the bath panel out due to being boxed in by bathroom furniture! Plus they are in the middle of the bath making it even more difficult to access!
    • cranford
    • By cranford 12th Apr 18, 4:11 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    cranford
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:11 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:11 PM
    Most certainly you will need to turn off both the hot and cold water feeds to your tap. My isolation valves for my bath taps are behind the bath panel!
    I have read elsewhere that if you live in a hard water area it might be worth a try soaking your disc in a lime descaler.

With your tap can you tell whether its the hot or cold that is dripping as you will need to know this if you can source the ceramic discs. It might be worth replacing both if you can get to that point.
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 12th Apr 18, 4:56 PM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 928 Thanks
    Ruski
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:56 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:56 PM
    Post a photo

Sometime the brand or item code is engraved very very faintly on the back of the tap or on the ring around the base, or even the tap head itself.

BTW: I bloody hate taps in the middle of the bath for the exact reason you are experiencing: I will never do that for a customer as I always leave access to any fitting for servicing

HTH
    Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 12th Apr 18, 6:27 PM
    • 1,288 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:27 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:27 PM
    Feel the back of the top part of the tap and you should find a small pop out cover about 1/4 inch dia,underneath this will be a small grub screw that you need an allen key to loosen,when loose the top part will come off and then you need to change the ceramic cartridge underneath,if you are not diy savvy might be a job for a plumber,best of luck
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 13th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    • 3,209 Posts
    • 2,127 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    you will need to turn off both the hot and cold water feeds to your tap
    They are two separate taps for hot & cold
    The OP should be OK just turning off the relevant feed.
    OP, when following advice in other threads as to how to gain access to the cartridge, please make sure you have turned off the relevant feed!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,306Posts Today

7,966Users online

Martin's Twitter