Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PiggyBank01
    • By PiggyBank01 11th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 6Thanks
    PiggyBank01
    Prescriptive Easements Over Unregistered Land
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    Prescriptive Easements Over Unregistered Land 11th Apr 18 at 6:30 PM
    Our house and 3 other houses use a shared private roadway for access. I've checked with the Land Registry and the roadway is unregistered. We've been in the house for 6 years, the other owners have been there 20+ years.

We're now selling our house and the buyers solicitor is kicking up a fuss about the lack of right of way. Our solicitor is looking into indemnity insurance to cover it but I wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue and what have they done?

I've been looking into prescriptive easements over unregistered land but getting abit out of my depth.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • loveka
    • By loveka 11th Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    loveka
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    Yes I had exactly the same issue. The answer in our case was indemnity insurance, as the owner of the unregistered land is unknown. It was 250.

The fact is that even if the owner came along and registered the land, you and the other houses would have a prescriptive easement as, presumably your predecessors in the house used the road too?
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 11th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    • 2,562 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    As has been said, the easement will bind the title should it be registered (assuming that it's not part of the adopted highway).

You may be asked to supply a statutory declaration setting out how long you've used the land for in order to prove the 20 years. The issue will be if you haven't been there 20 years proving your properties use may be somewhat hampered.

You could potentially look to secure your rights over the unregistered land by registering a caution against first registration over the unregistered land.
    • loveka
    • By loveka 11th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    loveka
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    Whatever you do, don't try to find out who owns the land. It will nullify any indemnity.

We didn't have to provide a declaration of trust. However, if you need one you can ask the previous owners if you know where they are.
    • PiggyBank01
    • By PiggyBank01 11th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    PiggyBank01
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    Thanks da_rule & loveka for your responses.

It does sound like indemnity insurance is going to be the best way but all I can sign for is 6 years not 20. I could possibly trace the previous owners who were here for 30 years.

I`m slightly worried now though as I have done a Land Registry search against the land, so is that going to nullify any insurance?

When we bought it our solicitor picked up the same but said as all these houses had been using it for 20+ years then they could claim right of way.

Their solicitor has requested that we should get the right of way registered which was why I was looking to do down the Prescriptive Easement route.
  • Land Registry
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:38 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:38 AM
    PiggyBank01 All good advice and your checking whether the road is registered shouldn't be an issue re any policy in my experience. It's if you then went further re trying to identify and contact others that might pose a problem
    Ideally when you bought you should have got a stat dec (not a declaration of trust) from your seller and you could have pegged your 6 years on to that if needed and claimed the right - see PG52
    But it reads as if it's now a case of giving the buyer's a stat Dec now fir your 6 years and getting the indemnity policy
    The other owners having a claim and using it helps to ease any concerns a little but they are unlikely to be enough to back up any claim you might want to try and register. It's your use as the title owner that counts first and you can only cover 6 years. Your neighbours have used it for their win titles' use
    Something to discuss further with your solicitor though and referring to the PG52
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • PiggyBank01
    • By PiggyBank01 13th Apr 18, 3:20 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    PiggyBank01
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:20 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:20 PM
    Thanks Land Registry

I`ve just looked at PG52 and the ST4 form - if I (6 years continuous use) and the previous owner (30+ years continuous use) filled in the form would that be likely to be sufficient to get a prescriptive easement filed? Or is there other steps I`d need to do as well.

How long does it typically take and what is the typical cost of LR fees?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

1,872Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin