Spending money for 4 weeks in Australia

Options
Hi All

We are going to Australia in December, staying for 4 weeks.

Flights are paid for but was wondering how much we should be looking at saving up for spending money.

Will be me, my husband and our 4 year old son.

I know its not an exact answer but I've never been on holiday for so long before so if anyone can help me work out a rough figure Id be very grateful

Comments

• savalittle.
    Options
    Wouldnt know but depends if you have hotels paid for, i do know that Sydney is very expensive compared to UK, a loaf of bread is about £3 as £1 here etc. Also are you travelling around? do you need hire car.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you have to pay fro accommodation?

Will you be self catering so have to buy food?

Will you be travelling around or will you stay in one place?

Do you intend to do sightseeing? Look up the entrance costs on line ?

Will you want to buy souvenirs, clothes, hats, toiletries?

Add up all these expenses and add on a contingency.

I would advise you allocate your spending when you there to a weekly amount or you are liable to run out of money before week4.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you both

Got a hire car for some of it, already paid for that

Got free accommodation for about a week and a half as staying with husbands aunt and uncle in Sydney

The rest of the time we will be visiting Melbourne and Brisbane
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    Good suggestions above. I agree Australia was very expensive compared to UK but their wages are higher. The basic things like bread, veg and fruit were at least twice or three times more expensive comparing to UK. The only things we found cheaper were petrol and wine. I remember going to a beer shop and 6 bottles of beer were about $15 to $20 whilst a 3L box of Australian wine was about $10. We only visited NSW and Queensland so other parts may differ.

Do you have an itinery planned? Have you already taken account of accomodation, car rental, transport and excursions? We purchased a few Groupons which kept cost down a little.
  • savalittle.
    Options
    Sydney to Melbourne is a long way as is Sydney to Brisbane unless you intend or have booked internal flights, also what about Uluru seeing as you are in Oz. Ive never been but SIL lives in Sydney and has been back about 6 times in the last 5 years.
  • chelseablue
    Options
    Yes we've booked internal flights :)

We have an itinerary of the places we're flying to but not anything more than that

Think we need to sit down and plan it out.

I was thinking of £1,000 a week (that includes any hotels, all food and excursions) but not sure if that's too optimistic
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think that will be enough, especially as you are going holiday season. You could look at booking.com for an idea of price for accommodation. If you have a credit card that does not charge for use abroad go into the Australian booking.com sight. We book flights using the Australian sights too.
    We have not been to Melbourne, that's for our next trip, but love Brisbane. Uluru is a great experience but expensive to fly there from Sydney.
  • chelseablue
    Options
    Will be getting one of the credit cards that does not charge abroad.

I could put hotel costs on the card and use the money we've saved for meals and activities.

Hope Australia is worth all this expense :rotfl:
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 April 2018 at 3:38PM
    Options
    Oh chelseablue, I'm sure it will be. Have a look on some of the forums on TripAdvisor to get a better idea of the cost of stuff, & things to do.

I put off NZ for years as I thought it would be far too expensive, but ended up doing 12 nights for just £2400! Although I've got family there so only needed a hotel for 4 nights, & flights were just £342 each! We didn't do the really expensive touristy things, as I did just go to see family. I booked all transport & hotels online beforehand, & made a list of stuff that I was going to do. Everything cost twice as much as it does here, but we had everything that we wanted so it's not like we scrimped & scraped. I had the time of my life, & nothing will ever beat that!
  • ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh, it is. My son lives in Brisbane, so don’t have any accommodation costs, but the first time we went, four years ago, we flew to Cairns, visited the Great Barrier Reef, stayed at the Sunshine and Gold coasts, drove (borrowed son’s car) to Byron Bay, then finished up by flying to Sydney and spending a few days there before flying home. Yes, we still got through lots of money, but did everything we wanted. I didn’t think the prices were too bad. Higher, yes, but not too bad. On the Gold and Sunshine coasts there are places to eat like surf clubs which are great for meals. In Sydney we ate in Darling Harbour where you can get early bird cheaper menus. My elder son, who lives in London, thinks prices are on a par, although the exchange rate isn’t good. Try and have time to visit the Koala Sanctuary (Lone Pine) in Brisbane for a great day out. Enjoy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure