Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 11th Apr 18, 12:52 PM
    • 2,528Posts
    • 2,982Thanks
    chelseablue
    0 WOW
    Spending money for 4 weeks in Australia
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:52 PM
    0 WOW
    Spending money for 4 weeks in Australia 11th Apr 18 at 12:52 PM
    Hi All

We are going to Australia in December, staying for 4 weeks.

Flights are paid for but was wondering how much we should be looking at saving up for spending money.

Will be me, my husband and our 4 year old son.

I know its not an exact answer but I've never been on holiday for so long before so if anyone can help me work out a rough figure Id be very grateful
    Mortgage starting balance £231,000
    Mortgage after Year 1 £225,000
    Mortgage after Year 2 £218,000
Page 1
    • savalittle.
    • By savalittle. 11th Apr 18, 1:33 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    savalittle.
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:33 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:33 PM
    Wouldnt know but depends if you have hotels paid for, i do know that Sydney is very expensive compared to UK, a loaf of bread is about £3 as £1 here etc. Also are you travelling around? do you need hire car.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 11th Apr 18, 2:01 PM
    • 5,025 Posts
    • 3,744 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:01 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:01 PM
    Do you have to pay fro accommodation?

Will you be self catering so have to buy food?

Will you be travelling around or will you stay in one place?

Do you intend to do sightseeing? Look up the entrance costs on line ?

Will you want to buy souvenirs, clothes, hats, toiletries?

Add up all these expenses and add on a contingency.

I would advise you allocate your spending when you there to a weekly amount or you are liable to run out of money before week4.
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 11th Apr 18, 2:14 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    chelseablue
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:14 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:14 PM
    Thank you both

Got a hire car for some of it, already paid for that

Got free accommodation for about a week and a half as staying with husbands aunt and uncle in Sydney

The rest of the time we will be visiting Melbourne and Brisbane
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 11th Apr 18, 2:21 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:21 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:21 PM
    Good suggestions above. I agree Australia was very expensive compared to UK but their wages are higher. The basic things like bread, veg and fruit were at least twice or three times more expensive comparing to UK. The only things we found cheaper were petrol and wine. I remember going to a beer shop and 6 bottles of beer were about $15 to $20 whilst a 3L box of Australian wine was about $10. We only visited NSW and Queensland so other parts may differ.

Do you have an itinery planned? Have you already taken account of accomodation, car rental, transport and excursions? We purchased a few Groupons which kept cost down a little.
    • savalittle.
    • By savalittle. 11th Apr 18, 2:22 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    savalittle.
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:22 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:22 PM
    Sydney to Melbourne is a long way as is Sydney to Brisbane unless you intend or have booked internal flights, also what about Uluru seeing as you are in Oz. Ive never been but SIL lives in Sydney and has been back about 6 times in the last 5 years.
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 11th Apr 18, 2:25 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    chelseablue
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:25 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:25 PM
    Yes we've booked internal flights

We have an itinerary of the places we're flying to but not anything more than that

Think we need to sit down and plan it out.

I was thinking of £1,000 a week (that includes any hotels, all food and excursions) but not sure if that's too optimistic
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 11th Apr 18, 2:31 PM
    • 2,139 Posts
    • 2,922 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:31 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:31 PM
    I don't think that will be enough, especially as you are going holiday season. You could look at booking.com for an idea of price for accommodation. If you have a credit card that does not charge for use abroad go into the Australian booking.com sight. We book flights using the Australian sights too.
    We have not been to Melbourne, that's for our next trip, but love Brisbane. Uluru is a great experience but expensive to fly there from Sydney.
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 11th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    chelseablue
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    Will be getting one of the credit cards that does not charge abroad.

I could put hotel costs on the card and use the money we've saved for meals and activities.

Hope Australia is worth all this expense
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 11th Apr 18, 3:35 PM
    • 7,120 Posts
    • 313,161 Thanks
    DUKE
    Oh chelseablue, I'm sure it will be. Have a look on some of the forums on TripAdvisor to get a better idea of the cost of stuff, & things to do.

I put off NZ for years as I thought it would be far too expensive, but ended up doing 12 nights for just £2400! Although I've got family there so only needed a hotel for 4 nights, & flights were just £342 each! We didn't do the really expensive touristy things, as I did just go to see family. I booked all transport & hotels online beforehand, & made a list of stuff that I was going to do. Everything cost twice as much as it does here, but we had everything that we wanted so it's not like we scrimped & scraped. I had the time of my life, & nothing will ever beat that!
    Last edited by DUKE; 11-04-2018 at 3:38 PM.
    Thanks everyone!
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 11th Apr 18, 3:35 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    ibizafan
    Oh, it is. My son lives in Brisbane, so donít have any accommodation costs, but the first time we went, four years ago, we flew to Cairns, visited the Great Barrier Reef, stayed at the Sunshine and Gold coasts, drove (borrowed sonís car) to Byron Bay, then finished up by flying to Sydney and spending a few days there before flying home. Yes, we still got through lots of money, but did everything we wanted. I didnít think the prices were too bad. Higher, yes, but not too bad. On the Gold and Sunshine coasts there are places to eat like surf clubs which are great for meals. In Sydney we ate in Darling Harbour where you can get early bird cheaper menus. My elder son, who lives in London, thinks prices are on a par, although the exchange rate isnít good. Try and have time to visit the Koala Sanctuary (Lone Pine) in Brisbane for a great day out. Enjoy.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 16th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    • 2,969 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    IT all depends if you keep an eye on the exchange rate. Food wise it's similar eating out to the uk (up I had nandos a few times and it was say $10 as it would be £10, so ended up cheaper, if that makes sense). Oz zoo is a day trip from Brisbane and if you can fit it in I'd spend a few days on the Gold Coast, see the Dracula show on the Gold Coast - it's really good. I spent a few hours body boarding. But if you are paying for accomodation you'll need more than a grand a week for 3 of you as accomodation is really expensive out there. You'll love it. I went 2 years ago and would love to go back one day again. Exchange rate makes a huge difference
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 st 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs: *61lbs lost* *30lbs to go*
    1st started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 38 weeks -53lbs
    2) roll on end of April 2019
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 17th Apr 18, 10:02 AM
    • 13,276 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    zagfles
    Oh chelseablue, I'm sure it will be. Have a look on some of the forums on TripAdvisor to get a better idea of the cost of stuff, & things to do.

I put off NZ for years as I thought it would be far too expensive, but ended up doing 12 nights for just £2400! Although I've got family there so only needed a hotel for 4 nights, & flights were just £342 each!
    Originally posted by DUKE
    Return from the UK?? Bargain! What airline?
    We didn't do the really expensive touristy things, as I did just go to see family. I booked all transport & hotels online beforehand, & made a list of stuff that I was going to do. Everything cost twice as much as it does here, but we had everything that we wanted so it's not like we scrimped & scraped. I had the time of my life, & nothing will ever beat that!
    We found NZ cheaper than here in general, for stuff like eating out, accomodation etc, though we did go off peak. We spent a load because we did expensive stuff like skydiving and ski-ing, and Hobbiton is ridiculously expensive. But otherwise we paid less than here, 2 bed motels were around £50-60 a night, eating out typically £12 a head with drinks.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 17th Apr 18, 2:09 PM
    • 3,080 Posts
    • 3,188 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Will be getting one of the credit cards that does not charge abroad.

I could put hotel costs on the card and use the money we've saved for meals and activities.

Hope Australia is worth all this expense
    Originally posted by chelseablue
    Halifax Clarity Card, paid off in full online. Select local currency if you are withdrawing cash with your CC at an ATM - ATMs make a small charge so best not to keep withdrawing small amounts. If you are spending cash anything which ends .99c you don't get change.

Yes, yes and yes - worth it every time. Got my permanent resident's visa and just waiting to sell my house and I'm off for good.

Exchange rate is the best it's been for a year - currently 1.84 to the pound, so if you plan to take cash with you keep an eye on the exchange rate. Just hoping I sell my house before it goes back down!

If you are travelling on trams, buses or trains in Melbourne buy a Myki card (bit like an Oyster card).
    • markandkate
    • By markandkate 19th Apr 18, 11:49 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    markandkate
    We have used youth hostels. They are excellent value and often have en suite family rooms and are usually in prominent place where people want to visit. They always have a communal kitchen where you can prepare meals even if its only toast and juice. The last one we stayed in had vouchers for meals at local restaurants and they also offer budget priced trips to local attractions
    • newatc
    • By newatc 19th Apr 18, 12:51 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    newatc
    Accommodation will be more expensive than normal at that time (school holidays start about a week before Xmas). Australia has great number of motels which are generally good value. It's great to have flexibility as your travel around but you'll have to weigh that up against best places being full.
    Blue Mountains which can be a day trip from Sydney should not be missed.
    Uluru is great but a little expensive and will take several days out of your itinerary.
    Difficult to come up with a cost but if this is not going to be a regular trip, then you must make the most of it. Travelling by car will enable to see you more of the country so maybe you could do Sydney-Melbourne by car. Personally I would fly to Cairns rather than Brisbane.
    Its a fantastic country, I'm sure you will have a great time.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 19th Apr 18, 8:50 PM
    • 13,276 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    zagfles
    We have used youth hostels. They are excellent value and often have en suite family rooms and are usually in prominent place where people want to visit. They always have a communal kitchen where you can prepare meals even if its only toast and juice. The last one we stayed in had vouchers for meals at local restaurants and they also offer budget priced trips to local attractions
    Originally posted by markandkate
    Yup, not been to Aus for a long time but the hostels were brilliant there. So much more friendly than boring hotels, and as above it's not all dorms, you can get private rooms, and cook dinner with other guests and share experiences/tip on what to do, where to go next etc...
    • lady1964
    • By lady1964 20th Apr 18, 11:05 AM
    • 772 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    lady1964
    Australia is absolutely worth it, we!!!8217;ve just got back from our second visit, our DD lives in Sydney so a perfect reason to visit!
    We don!!!8217;t stay with her, we!!!8217;ve stayed at an hotel, serviced apartments and a cottage. With a 4 year old, you may find it better to look at a house or apartment rental, perhaps with a pool, you will benefit from the space. I would agree that Australia isn!!!8217;t cheap but if you self cater, you can keep your costs down and I would suggest food courts with your 4 year old for cheap & good eats. If you like wine with your dinner, try BYO restaurants to keep costs down and buy your wine from the bottle shop.
    Taronga Zoo in Sydney is a great zoo (take a picnic) and there are beautiful beaches in Manly, Watson!!!8217;s Bay and in the Bondi-Coogee areas, all easy to get to on the bus or ferry.
    Bear in mind December is summer, which might make a visit to Ularu unbearably hot, particularly for a small child. There are theme parks on the Gold Coast, which are likely to be pricey but you could look at resort packages for ideas of costs.
    Look at Jetstar for internal flights, Virgin Australia are also good but probably a bit more expensive.
    I haven!!!8217;t been to Melbourne so can!!!8217;t advise on there.
    As for how much you should take, it!!!8217;s a hard one as your needs etc are likely to be very different to ours, I think I would budget £1k per week with a contingency of the same, so look at £5k in total if you can. You don!!!8217;t have to spend it all but if this is the trip of a lifetime, you may not want to be scrimping.
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 31st Jul 18, 6:31 PM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    Neil49
    There are plenty of Aldi stores in Oz and although not as cheap as in the UK they are still worth checking out. Also the food supermarkets in main out of town shopping malls are worth a detour rather than the city centre Woolworths etc.

As far as money goes we used cards virtually all the time. We had the Clarity credit card and a Monzo debit card, both of which give you the Mastercard rate of exchange. The Monzo was particularly good as the transaction appears on your smartphone within seconds showing the initial rate of exchange. I just kept topping it up in £ from my main bank account as required. The Starling account operates the same way.

We booked some accommodation via Booking.com and Hotels.com in advance when prices were good. It's high season when you go and Aussi schools are on holiday so don't leave it too late sorting out your accommodation. We got some nice apartments which allowed us to do our own cooking or bring in takeaways which kept the cost down.

Melbourne is a great place but just be aware that the Great Ocean Road is a long one day trip. Ideally book an overnight stop towards the end of the road to give yourselves time to enjoy the journey and then return to Melbourne the next day. We drove from Adelaide to Melbourne but did it over 4 days.

What ever you decide to do, it's a great country and we shall be going back for more.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

1,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin