Siemens - Replacement Washing Machine

Options
Hi There,

My first time posting but hoping someone can help.

We purchased a Siemens IQ700 washing machine with 5 yr warranty in Oct 2012 via an online dealer we met at the Ideal Home Show. I believe we paid in full by Debit Card at the time.

Now, just a few months out of warranty, the machine has stopped working. On inspection, the Siemens engineer told us that the fault was with one of the motherboards and basically an "unlucky" fault, that would not have been the result of normal wear and tear.

As a result, Siemens have offered us a "reduced" price on a replacement machine, but this is still £625.

My question - although the warranty is out, do we have any rights under the Consumer Rights Act of 2015 that states that machine parts should be fit for use for 6 years? Given that their own engineer told us that this was a faulty part and not the result of normal wear and tear?

From what I've read in the Act (I'm no lawyer) this should be taken up directly with the retailer, but I can't find them online anymore and believe they may have since gone bust.

Do we have any kind of case with Siemens direct, or should we give up now and part with the £625 for a new machine? Thanks for reading and any advice much much appreciated.

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes your consumer rights are with the retailer. It is not a 6 year guarantee, it is up to 6 years. A subtle but important difference, and the retailer could also reduce the refund amount to take account of your usage. So you wouldn't get back the whole amount you paid anyway.

How much was the machine when you bought it, and how much of a discount are Siemens offering? Anything they offer now is goodwill as you have no legal recourse against them.
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aside from the T&C of the warranty you have no legal recourse against Siemens.

You need to determine a few things if you go forward.

Who the retailer is, are they still in business.

If Yes, you can proceed, if not either take Siemens up on their offer or write it off and buy another brand.

If the business is still operating, take the original purchase price divide by 6 and thats what you'd realistically expect back. If you can prove that the machine failed due to a manufacturing fault, which becomes harder to do the longer it is owned.
  • lollysoz
    lollysoz Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 10 April 2018 at 9:01PM
    Options
    Thank you for your quick replies!

The machine was around £975 when we purchased it. The replacement they are offering currently retails for around £1029 so it is a decent reduction I guess :-/

Looks like we might have to bite the bullet. CoolHotCold - When you put it like that, it actually isn't a bad deal at all....
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Considering they (legally) don't have to do anything, I think that's a pretty good offer from Siemens. And also probably a lot more than you would have got from a retailer!

Of course, being a money saving site you could always look for a cheaper washig machine and save even more ;)
  • lollysoz
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Of course, being a money saving site you could always look for a cheaper washig machine and save even more ;)

Haha - that's what my husband says.. but we have the matching dryer right next to it and I just can't BEAR them not to match :(:rotfl:
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd bite their hand off for that offer. Even if (and it's a big if) you could prove it was an inherent fault you'll likely not get much more than a few hundred back anyway. The discount they've offered sounds amazing.
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just make sure that they're not replacing it under warranty.

Make sure that they're giving a goodwill discount on a new sale, so the warranty starts from when purchased and it's a new sale so Siemens is the retailer, (and buy on credit card for added protection)

Also, You could replace both Washing Machine and Tumble Dryer to match :P
  • Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely it would be far cheaper to pay them to replace the circuit board,even possibly at a discounted price.
  • lollysoz
    Options
    Potentially.. but the way the engineer explained it, it *apparently* it could be one of two - so a trial and error process at approx £250 per board, and then only 6 months warranty on that particular part. Add on the £100 call out charge and it seems a safer option to buy the new machine ( with a brand new 5 year warranty) as if we end up getting charged for both it works out roughly the same. That's the unfair bit :(
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Al_Ross wrote: »
    Surely it would be far cheaper to pay them to replace the circuit board,even possibly at a discounted price.
    Quite possibly but if they were to do this, the OP would end up with a working washing machine but the majority of it would be 5 1/2 years old.
    It might work perfectly for another 5 1/2 years or something like the pump, drum motor or main bearing could fail in the not too distant future and if this was to happen, Siemens might not be so accommodating and it might end up costing a fair bit to repair.

Personally, I think that getting a replacement appliance at a good discount is the best way to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure