*Editing 8mm cine film compilation*

A relative who died a couple of years ago was our extended family's resident Cine Film Guy. He shot lots of cine over the years. His widow has sorted out the boxes according to their titles and sent them off to a firm which has converted them and put them on a DVD.

The problem is that the result contains a lot of stuff which doesn't mean anything. It needs editing out. I borrowed the DVD and did what I've learned to do to make a back-up. I have returned the DVD to his widow.

What I would like to do is edit the backup. It comprises a single VIDEO TS folder containing 11 files: 7 x VTS_VOB files; 2 x VTS_IFO files; 1 x VTS_BUP file; and 1 x Video_ TS.BUP file.

The creation of a single VIDEO_TS folder, with all the files in it, has always been the best way for me to burn a back-up. But I wonder, now, if I've gone the right way about it?

My problem is, I cannot think of a way to actually 'play' this folder on screen (as distinct from burning it) so as to be able to see which bits should be cut, and which bits should be kept.

Just to make it clear: I do NOT have the original DVD now.

Only the VIDEO_TS folder.

Should I now burn that folder to create a backup DVD, and then insert that DVD into my desktop PC to see if it might be recognised by an editing program that would allow me to go through the separate frames and delete as required?

If so: is there a (fairly basic!) editing program anyone can recommend? Or is there some other way of doing this??? Thank you for any help!

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I think you will need the raw video in order to edit it. What you have is the "compiled" video ready to play in a DVD player. I could be wrong but when I edited my Granddaughters' Christening videos, I had to get the raw footage from the videographer (person who took the video).
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    To play, only play, you can drag the files onto VLC

Note: at a push vlc can convert videos to .jpg or .png, so each frame could be a .jpg. it is also possible to combine all the .jpg files (frames) together to make a film.

However I am sure someone will be along telling of a good bit of software, if not look here https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/328476-Editing-H264-MPEG-4-AVC-ts-files
  • bob_a_builder
    bob_a_builder Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 April 2018 at 7:34PM
    Download / install Handbrake ...

https://handbrake.fr/

When it comes up with source selection, point it at your folder
    Then set the destination folder and output file type
    That should give you one continuous MP4 file or similar - or if not at least a number of separate .MP4 files which you can edit and join

Which you can then set about editing with one of the many free video editors
  • hybernia
    hybernia Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 April 2018 at 8:10PM
    Thanks everyone.

I've a feeling that what I've done wrong is to take my usual backup routine to create a single VTS folder that can then be burned to disk. Unfortunately, that folder contains (as mentioned) a lot of different files. What I need is one file to work on. Not 11.

Seems to me, though I could be wrong, that I need to start over and (a) burn the backup to a DVD, thus returning me to the position I was in to begin with; (2) see if I can somehow change the output settings of the backup to a single file rather than a bunch of them. I'm going to try out bob a builder's proposal first though.

What's needed, or so it seems to me, is a single file, not a folder of separate files, with that single file playable and therefore editable on my PC.

Thanks again, all.

PS: Bob: I've downloaded Handbrake and, right this minute,. it's re-encoding that VTS folder as an MP4 file. . . hopefully! Thanks again for your insight.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Why are you re-encoding? It'll take ages and reduce the quality.

VOB files are essentially mpeg2 video files. Look for ones that are .99 GB with a smaller one at the end; those are the actual video files.

The other smaller VOBs will be menus which you don't need, and you don't need any of the others.

Most free video editors can cope with VOBs, if they can't you can probably con them into working with them by renaming them as .mpg.
  • hybernia
    hybernia Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Why are you re-encoding? It'll take ages and reduce the quality.VOB files are essentially mpeg2 video files. Lo ok for ones that are .99 GB with a smaller one at the end; those are the actual video files.

The other smaller VOBs will be menus which you don't need, and you don't need any of the others.Most free video editors can cope with VOBs, if they can't you can probably con them into working with them by renaming them as .mpg.

Yes, you're right. stragglebod. Handbrake is still working on the folder. I hadn't realised, there'd be a quality loss (you can see, I'm not skilled in any of this . . .)

Amongst the collection of files in the VTS folder, there appear to be 4 which are identical: VTS_01_1.VOB, and then 3 more (02.VOB, 03.VOB, 04.VOB.) All four files are the same size: 1,084,404KB.

Do I need to (somehow) work with all fouor?? Or is it the case that there are three duplicates here of the actual VOB I need?

Sorry to be so thick about this. . . :(
  • That was the max size for a VOB from memory.

If you played them in a DVD player it would normally play them based on a playlist. This would typically play 1 to 4 VOB in order with no gap between them.

If you download VLC player you can play them individually or at once depending on how you open them.
  • PhylPho
    PhylPho Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    OP: you'd be much, much better starting afresh. You have the VTS folder, so use something like Ashampoo's free version of Burning Studio to burn it to DVD. It'll take no more than 10 minutes.

Then, when you have the DVD, pop it in your computer and rip it to a single VOB file. By default, Wonderfox's ripper does just that: a single VOB, not a VTS folder. You're just going to waste your time, messing around with any other approaches when, as you say, all you want is something you can edit on-screen: playing the thing isn't important to you; editing is.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    PhylPho wrote: »
    OP: you'd be much, much better starting afresh. You have the VTS folder, so use something like Ashampoo's free version of Burning Studio to burn it to DVD. It'll take no more than 10 minutes.

Then, when you have the DVD, pop it in your computer and rip it to a single VOB file. By default, Wonderfox's ripper does just that: a single VOB, not a VTS folder. You're just going to waste your time, messing around with any other approaches when, as you say, all you want is something you can edit on-screen: playing the thing isn't important to you; editing is.
    Seems like pretty cruddy software if the only way you can join VOBs is to burn back to DVD and rip again.
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    hybernia wrote: »
    Yes, you're right. stragglebod. Handbrake is still working on the folder. I hadn't realised, there'd be a quality loss (you can see, I'm not skilled in any of this . . .)

Stick with Handbrake - it can convert the separate .vob files into a single file (I had to do the same thing recently). If you are going to be editing the files choose the best quality settings - possibly lossless if you have plenty of disc space.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure