PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Building Survey Ownership

Hello. My first post on MSE forums. Brief situation is we were in a chain of 4, six weeks in and buyer at the bottom pulled out unethically and collapsed the whole chain. We had just had undertaken a full RICS building survey at £660 on a dream cottage we are now not going to own. I would like some advice please. This cottage was 200 years old plus, and whoever does buy it will undertake a full building survey (which came out saying all excellent for the record). I want to contact the vendor's estate agent and offer to sell our building survey to the new buyer, as the survey will only be a matter of a few weeks old and perfectly useful. I was going to offer it for say £400 to try and recoup at least a bit of our lost £1000 costs in total. Can you transfer ownership of a building survey in this way? Any help appreciated as a very difficult time. Thank you.

Comments

• dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Aerofox176 wrote: »
    Hello. My first post on MSE forums. Brief situation is we were in a chain of 4, six weeks in and buyer at the bottom pulled out unethically and collapsed the whole chain. We had just had undertaken a full RICS building survey at £660 on a dream cottage we are now not going to own. I would like some advice please. This cottage was 200 years old plus, and whoever does buy it will undertake a full building survey (which came out saying all excellent for the record). I want to contact the vendor's estate agent and offer to sell our building survey to the new buyer, as the survey will only be a matter of a few weeks old and perfectly useful. I was going to offer it for say £400 to try and recoup at least a bit of our lost £1000 costs in total. Can you transfer ownership of a building survey in this way? Any help appreciated as a very difficult time. Thank you.

That clearly won't work because it is way too sensible an idea. The English housing market doesn't work that way.

But yes, hopefully you could do that, but I can imagine the seller not wanting to touch the idea in case he/she is then deemed to be liable in some way if the survey turns out to be incorrect.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,434 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You need to check your contract with the surveyor.

It almost certainly says that it is for your use only, and cannot be resold. (So selling it would put you in breach of contract with the surveyor.)

Also... it is not as valuable to other people as it would have been to you.

For example, if the surveyor failed to notice that the roof is falling down, and you bought the property - you have a contract with the surveyor, so you could sue them for negligence.

If somebody else buys the property (using the survey you sell them), they have no contract with the surveyor - so cannot sue the surveyor for negligence.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The surveyor holds the copyright to their survey and they grant you permission to use it, you cannot resell their intellectual property.
  • lena_halo
    lena_halo Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Is there no way you can proceed with the purchase at all? What a horrible situation, I really feel for you :(
  • Thanks for that
  • Thanks, but unlikely. The vendor has kindly given us 10 days grace before she goes back to market, but we're unlikely to get another offer so soon. Best laid plans and all that stuff.
  • loveka
    loveka Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    The system stinks, it really does.

We have had this happen to us 3 times in 18 months.

We have offered to sell the survey on. There is always a reason that the new vendors don't want/need it. According to the estate agent...

There were 2 surveys done on our house. Again, the estate agent didn't want them passed on.

It is not in any of their interests to reuse surveys, as they don't get any more money! One of the properties we were buying I know they had the same company of surveyors to do an identical survey 6 months later!

I really think it's a racket.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You would be selling them some sheets of paper with writing on. That writing might or might not be of interest and useful to them.

You would not be selling them the most important bits - comeback against the surveyor in case it's wrong, and a valuation that's actually relevant to their lender.

So anything over a smallish fraction of the price would be excessive.

B'sides, it's of no use whatsoever to you - so why not just do the decent thing and hand it over? Karma is circular...

BTW - you say the buyer at the end of the chain pulled out "unethically". You know this for a fact? Right up until exchange of contracts, they have every right to pull out for whatever reason, however genuine. Nobody does things like that lightly.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    All true but, what with all the caveats at the end of surveys, one does wonder how much "comeback" there ever really is in practice.

Hang in there, OP. Who knows, you might find another buyer quickly. If your EA is of any use (:rotfl: I know, right?) they will be contacting everyone who expressed interest but lost out on buying your house last time. Your vendor might not find another buyer until you have another nibble... Chin up!

AdrianC is quite right; until exchange anyone can pull out at any time; your opinion of their actions is immaterial... And one day, it might be you who has to do that. Will you be "unethical" or in an unavoidable situation?

Seriously, where is the empathy these days? We all know how frustrating the idiotic house buying/selling system is in England and Wales. Until there is a change in the law, we are stuck with it. A little bit of grace, perhaps; it will make you look good to vendors and buyers alike.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Smodlet wrote: »
    We all know how frustrating the idiotic house buying/selling system is in England and Wales. Until there is a change in the law, we are stuck with it.
    There always has to be an end to the ability to walk away - a point at which you are contractually obliged to buy.

Who wants that to be the offer point? Not me, because it means that you need to do all your due diligence before finding out that the vendor's in cloud-cuckoo land when it comes to offers.

Who wants to accept the vendor's information at face value, without any opportunity to check it out for yourself? Not me, because we're always saying to new-build buyers "Don't take the vendor's recommended solicitor - they're the only person fighting your side.".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure