Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pledgeX
    • By pledgeX 10th Apr 18, 12:21 PM
    • 481Posts
    • 130Thanks
    pledgeX
    Wood filler or generic filler?
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:21 PM
    Wood filler or generic filler? 10th Apr 18 at 12:21 PM
    I've got some Ronseal wood filler which I was planning to use to cover some nail/screw holes and dents in some mdf skirting and some pine doors/door frames. I tried using it last night and it's horrible. It goes off incredibly quickly, it stinks, you have to constantly mix up small batches as it goes off so quick and it's a faff to tidy up.

I've also got some no-nonsense all purpose filler which is much nicer to use and I can get a much smoother finish on it.

Any reason why I shouldn't use the all purpose stuff over the wood specific stuff?
Page 1
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 10th Apr 18, 12:31 PM
    • 12,644 Posts
    • 9,571 Thanks
    Poppycat
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:31 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:31 PM
    I like the polyfilla wood filler myself. I dont particularly like epoxy fillers due to the smell but they do have there advantages of being quick dry

• bris
    • By bris 10th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 7,656 Posts
    • 6,663 Thanks
    bris
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    It depends on colour match, or as near to it as possible. In pine, oak etc I get as close a wood filling match as possible and use that, on MDF skirting I use decorators caulk.

The problem with all purpose filler in wood is movement, wood moves due to the climate so if it's rigid it will crack.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 10th Apr 18, 3:33 PM
    • 5,143 Posts
    • 3,173 Thanks
    benjus
    • 10th Apr 18, 3:33 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 3:33 PM
    Also depends on the job. The epoxy filler is very strong and doesn't crumble, so you can form it into pretty much any shape you need and sand it after it sets if necessary. For example, I removed the skirting boards from my bedroom a few months ago to lay a wooden floor, and left them in a bit of a mess (they were extremely firmly attached to the wall). Using epoxy wood filler I was able to completely repair them so that I could just re-fit them after the floor was laid. I don't think other types of filler would have coped with the more intricate parts I had to repair.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 11th Apr 18, 9:39 AM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:39 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:39 AM
    I use a plug cutter on offcuts if it's proper wood, or 2-part filler if it's being painted. The wickes own-brand filler is pretty decent.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

2,363Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin