Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 10th Apr 18, 9:52 AM
    • 1,590Posts
    • 1,047Thanks
    Charlton King
    Scammers, I think
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:52 AM
    Scammers, I think 10th Apr 18 at 9:52 AM
    Had a couple of calls to our landline this morning from someone claiming to be from Microsoft and talking about problems we've been having with our broadband lately. Apparently 'outside hackers trying to steal our information'.

Now this is weird because we have had problems - there have been short interruptions to the broadband connection and strange, rather unpleasant stuff scrolling on the screen completely unbidden.

Because of this I was really quite rattled by the calls but had the wit to put the receiver down and use 1471. The calls seemed to emanate from a Gloucestershire code 01453. When I googled the full number, I found that quite a lot of people have been complaining about it as probably scammers.

Can anyone just confirm that this could not possibly be Microsoft? It does seem to me that any scammer would at least have the commonsense to use 'number withheld', wouldn't they? I'm still a bit jittery.
Page 1
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 10th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    • 2,976 Posts
    • 2,288 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    Unless Microsoft are your ISP, why only earth would they be calling you about your broadband? Of course they are scammers.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 10th Apr 18, 10:44 AM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:44 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:44 AM
    I really do wonder about this sort of thing.

Why does ANYBODY on this planet think that Microsoft are going to call them to help fix their PC 'problems'?

I mean, really???
    • Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 10th Apr 18, 10:49 AM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 1,047 Thanks
    Charlton King
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:49 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:49 AM
    Sorry but I should have been clearer.

The guy was not offering to 'fix our broadband'. He was saying that that the broadband problems were associated with attempts by hackers to use our PC as a base for criminal activity, including stealing our information and raiding our bank accounts. I didn't let him get as far as telling me what he was offering to do about it!
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 10th Apr 18, 10:53 AM
    • 267 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    NelliePie
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:53 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:53 AM
    Microsoft produce software - programs such as Word and Excel. They will have nothing to do with your internet. This is a scam.

The only company that will know anything about your internet is the company you pay to receive it (such as Sky, BT, VirginMedia, etc.) And even then they supply to hundreds/thousands of people so unless you complain to them about an issue, they probably wouldn't know either.

Stay safe

Edit: if the 'criminal activity' was true you could always ask for a police reference number and someone you could talk to at your local station - see how quickly they hang up! Just to be extra safe check your bank accounts to make sure you recognise everything that's gone out. If you do, put it out of your mind.
    Last edited by NelliePie; 10-04-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    Little One's due date 18/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - 144k motrgage
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    • 34,033 Posts
    • 40,145 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    You've never supplied Microsoft with your contact details , how on earth would they know how to contact you .

Play games with them , make them wait while you "turn on your PC to find version of Windows" then tell them it says Linux

Ask them for the name of the person they are wishing to contact as it's a shared telephone number
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 10th Apr 18, 11:01 AM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 1,047 Thanks
    Charlton King
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:01 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:01 AM
    Good ideas. Thanks to all. I'm pretty sure it's just a scam but this so-and-so caught me at a vulnerable point such that my usual healthy scepticism wasn't quite its normal self!
    • yummy mummy
    • By yummy mummy 10th Apr 18, 11:11 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    yummy mummy
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:11 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:11 AM
    Yes scammers I say we don't have a computer they then put the phone down lol
    • WaywardDriver
    • By WaywardDriver 10th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    WaywardDriver
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    Had similar but claiming to be BT which is my ISP. Hung up and rang BT who confirmed scam and said we'll never ring you about a problem, it's up to you to ring us.
    • Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 10th Apr 18, 12:26 PM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 1,047 Thanks
    Charlton King
    Just come off the line from BT tech support who say that scammers these days have ways of generating 'apparent origin' numbers when you dial 1471 which is, it seems, a way of appearing 'authentic' to potential victims.

Frankly, to me, the idea of Microsoft calling from Dursley while the actual guy claims he's calling from London is just weird. If you have this technology and you know you're going to claim you're in London, why not generate a London number or just use 'withheld'..?

Bizarre.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    • 3,718 Posts
    • 5,794 Thanks
    another casualty
    I never answer my landline . If someone wants me, it's Mobile only.
    I used to have an answerphone . Only family members and friends left messages.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Apr 18, 12:54 PM
    • 4,049 Posts
    • 3,440 Thanks
    AndyPix
    strange, rather unpleasant stuff scrolling on the screen completely unbidden.
    Originally posted by Charlton King

You have malware

Run this : https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

and then this : https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

Both free

As for your call from Microsoft ...

1. They did not nor will ever call you.
    2. This is an age old scam and I'll wager everything I own that this guy had an Indian accent
    3. Spoofing a phone number is trivial
    4. How have you survived this long without your bank account being emptied
    Last edited by AndyPix; 10-04-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Geodark
    • By Geodark 10th Apr 18, 12:58 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    Geodark
    Had "Microsoft" call me a few months ago, early one Saturday morning - and when I called him a scammer he started swearing at me, asking my education level etc - you would think Microsoft customer support would have had better manners

Its like when you get the "I hear you have been in an accident" calls - for some reason they always seem to drop the call when I ask "Ok then, whats my name?"
    • Tyler Durden UK
    • By Tyler Durden UK 10th Apr 18, 1:34 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Tyler Durden UK
    Frankly I'm quite surprised at the amount of flak targeted at the OP.
    Not everyone is as tech / scam savvy as you or I.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 10th Apr 18, 2:00 PM
    • 3,804 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Had similar but claiming to be BT which is my ISP. Hung up and rang BT who confirmed scam and said we'll never ring you about a problem,
    Originally posted by WaywardDriver
    They're not wrong there.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • ChuckMountain
    • By ChuckMountain 10th Apr 18, 3:32 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    ChuckMountain
    To be fair some of the scams are become more and more sophisticated, although some remain fairly straight forward.

It's easy for the techies to see past the smokescreen however they can genuinely frighten some people. It's a bit like cold calling, you are not expecting everybody to bite but if you get a handful of hits per day they make some serious money.

I have seen ones pretending to be all the major ISPs and OS providers ....

If you want to hear recorded ones that have a look on Youtube as they go along with them and lead them up the garden path or just see what they do as a wind up.

There was one were the guy admitted that he was snagging 6 people a day at 400 a time ....
    • datostar
    • By datostar 10th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    datostar
    Scammer : - "Please click on 'My Computer".
    Victim :- " Where is your computer?"
    Repeat 3 or 4 times. Scammer gets irritated and rings off.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Apr 18, 4:11 AM
    • 28,173 Posts
    • 11,451 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Scammer : - "Please click on 'My Computer".
    Victim :- " Where is your computer?"
    Repeat 3 or 4 times. Scammer gets irritated and rings off.
    Originally posted by datostar

I did this when my FIL had a call. He doesn't even have a computer.

I said hang on just going to turn it on, it may take a while its running really badly and very slow.
    I popped the phone down on the sofa and many minutes later he is still on the line.. I said i cannot find the computer. He asked if it was a laptop. I said no its a desktop a massive beige box.. he hung up..
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • PhylPho
    • By PhylPho 11th Apr 18, 11:31 AM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 2,856 Thanks
    PhylPho
    Rather more troubling -- I would've thought -- is this from the OP: "Now this is weird because we have had problems - there have been short interruptions to the broadband connection and strange, rather unpleasant stuff scrolling on the screen completely unbidden."

Even a single incident of "strange rather unpleasant stuff" scrolling unbidden on any computer screen is one incident too many. A procession of such incidents is downright terrifying.

As AndyPix so rightly said at post #12, the PC in question here is infected with malware.

No computer should ever be left un-scanned after an event of this kind. Even if one cannot afford the recurring cost of Malwarebytes Premium with its real-time protection, there's no reason not to have Malwarebytes Free installed. Sadly, it will protect only after the fact, but that's better than no diagnosis / quarantining / removal at all.

Scumbags ringing up (mainly from India) pretending to be this, that or t'other are likely always going to be around. They cannot be quarantined or removed. Malware, however, can and should be.

The OP really should act on AndyPix's advice immediately and certainly not let his post be lost amongst all the others which are, in fact, addressing an issue of lesser subtlety and lesser malevolence.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

267Posts Today

1,443Users online

Martin's Twitter