Car Sold

Options
Hi All
We owned a car for 10.5 years from new, I sold it through an internet site. Stating all the work we'd had done. The car has been serviced every 12 months and The last thing it had done was a new fuel pump and a new battery, battery about 10 weeks ago and fuel pump about ten days ago. Husband has used the car since fuel pump was replaced with no problems, been on the motorway for a round trip of 80 miles and used it running around here.
We have used the same garage for about 6 years had no problems.
Guy bought the car Saturday and today it has broken down on his way to work.
He has text me, I have no idea what it could be, in the text he said he is having it towed to a garage and will keep me updated.
In a phone call this morning he has mentioned he may have to bring the car back. I replied I don't think so as he has bought it, its his car now.
Can he really bring the car back and expect a refund?
Thanks

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nope,its a private sale. Car is his.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    11yo car in "not 100% reliable" shock.

Unless he can show that you promised faithfully that it was absolutely mechanically perfect, then he has zero comeback.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks
    Perhaps. It depends how you described it. If you said it was reliable etc then maybe. Otherwise, its for the buyer to work out for themselves.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Caveat Emptor innit guv.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tell him you don't want it back because he has broken it.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe best to post the wording of the advert or link to it so eagle eyes here can look over it and check your ground
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Of course he can't bring it back and expect a refund.

If he contacts you again, tell him that you sold the car in good faith but did not offer any sort of guarantee. The car is now his and it's his responsibility to get it repaired. Nobody would warrant an 11 year old vehicle.

The purchaser has no legal rights so long as you did not mis-describe the car.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi All
    We owned a car for 10.5 years from new, I sold it through an internet site. Stating all the work we'd had done. The car has been serviced every 12 months and The last thing it had done was a new fuel pump and a new battery, battery about 10 weeks ago and fuel pump about ten days ago. Husband has used the car since fuel pump was replaced with no problems, been on the motorway for a round trip of 80 miles and used it running around here.
    We have used the same garage for about 6 years had no problems.
    Guy bought the car Saturday and today it has broken down on his way to work.
    He has text me, I have no idea what it could be, in the text he said he is having it towed to a garage and will keep me updated.
    In a phone call this morning he has mentioned he may have to bring the car back. I replied I don't think so as he has bought it, its his car now.
    Thanks

No.

Private sale and unless you put in the advert "very reliable", no issues or car is absolutely perfect, then he hasnt a leg to stand on. And even if you did its debatable if he could pursue it successfully.
  • jillybobs1966
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply.
    I did state that the car had been serviced every 12 months. I also stated it has had 2 new timing belts, a new flywheel and clutch, new wheel bearings and most recently a new fuel pump. As far as I was aware the car was running fine.
    I have just tried to find the ad but it has been deleted as the car was sold. I have emailed them and asked for a copy of the original ad I posted. It can take up to 5 days for them to email me back.
    :)
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    People seem to do this lately. They buy an old car in a private sale and expect a vehicle in brand new showroom condition with a warranty.

If they want that service they should pay for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure