Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 9th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    • 173Posts
    • 17Thanks
    dhokes
    How long before I should paint new build home?
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    How long before I should paint new build home? 9th Apr 18 at 7:37 PM
    Iím moving into a new build home soon and Iíd like to paint the internal walls. However, given the fact that, especially in the early months, a house settles, how long do you think I should wait before I paint it?

Ideally, Iíd like to seal my bathroom walls with something decent as it doesnít have any windows so I was thinking of giving it a coat of primer and two coats of Zinsserís Perma-White. Iíve read good (old) reviews about this paint.

So Iím thinking about just painting the bathroom and seeing how the rest of the house settles in the first 6-12 months and then review the situation. Sounds sensible?
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Apr 18, 7:41 PM
    • 64,319 Posts
    • 377,553 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:41 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:41 PM
    My sibling bought brand new - and before completion date a decorator went in and decorated in specific colours, it'd been arranged with the developer to give access. It looked fine - and, to my knowledge, it still looks fine 7 years on. I've not heard of any problems with that decorating work at all.
    • shirlgirl2004
    • By shirlgirl2004 9th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 2,834 Posts
    • 4,514 Thanks
    shirlgirl2004
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    I don't know the Zinsser paint you mention although I know others in their range and they are one of the few paints I wouldn't use on new plaster. You really do want the walls to be able to breath. Obviously I'm guessing because even a new house might have stood for 6 months already.
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 9th Apr 18, 8:01 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    pramsay13
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:01 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:01 PM
    Perosonally I would just paint as desired and if any settlement does occur just touch up.
    • whatdoyouthink...
    • By whatdoyouthink... 10th Apr 18, 9:04 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    whatdoyouthink...
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:04 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:04 AM
    Depending on how it settles you could find yourself doing a lot of touching up. I moving into my new build in December and personally I'm glad I haven't painted yet.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,829Posts Today

8,612Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks so much to all who watched @itvMLshow LIVE last night. The ratings are in at 2.4m and 12% share, lower tha? https://t.co/Jj62j1fV5F

• RT @stomp_3k: Oh @MartinSLewis would be proud proud of me went sim free on my mobile contract renewal and bought my handset outright saving?

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Wales Govt steps up to help ?severely mentally impaired? access crucial council tax discount after MSE campaign - BUT M?

• Follow Martin