Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grabe78
    • By Grabe78 9th Apr 18, 11:30 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Grabe78
    Contract phone stolen in carjacking- how to claim on insurance
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:30 AM
    Contract phone stolen in carjacking- how to claim on insurance 9th Apr 18 at 11:30 AM
    Hi MSE,
    I recently had my smartphone stolen in a carjacking whilst abroad. I am covered by my employers travel insurance and wish to make a claim for the phone, but the phone was on a 24 month pay-monthly contract which included data/calls/texts, and I didn't pay anything upfront for it. I'm 75% of the way through the contract now, but won't have any phone to show for it once I finish the contract.
    Does anyone know how on earth I go about calculating my claim for the phone on the insurance? Is it the total monthly cost I have left? Or the overall 24 month cost of the phone minus some factor? Or how much it would have cost if I'd bought the phone upfront? Any help is much appreciated, I'm tearing my hair out about how to do this!
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Apr 18, 12:40 PM
    • 21,009 Posts
    • 16,796 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:40 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:40 PM
    Do you need to calculate a value yourself? Can't you just say that your xyz phone was stolen and leave it to the insurer to either replace it or to make an offer for what they think the replacement value is?
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 9th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 1,341 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    Your financing method should be irrelivant to the claim.

They may require POP, you should have this.

They may not give new for old and give you the current second hand market value. But they should give you something.

Your claim is mearly for a replacement phone (second hand like yours would be unless they do new for old).
    • Grabe78
    • By Grabe78 10th Apr 18, 7:50 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Grabe78
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:50 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:50 PM
    This was excellent, thank you to both the respondents! Really helped me out
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,535Users online

Martin's Twitter