Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 9th Apr 18, 8:42 AM
    • 332Posts
    • 121Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Avios rewards programme to close - customers to be transferred to the BA Executive Club
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:42 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Avios rewards programme to close - customers to be transferred to the BA Executive Club 9th Apr 18 at 8:42 AM
    The UK Avios Rewards Programme is closing this summer and members are being transferred into the British Airways Executive Club - if you're an Avios customer, here's what you need to know...
    Read the full story:
    'Avios rewards programme to close - customers to be transferred to the BA Executive Club'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 9th Apr 18, 8:48 AM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:48 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:48 AM
    Presumably the auto exchange from Tesco points to (now) BA miles will remain.
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 9th Apr 18, 8:54 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    MSE Callum
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:54 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:54 AM
    Hi, we're working on updating the story with more details now, but in your case, your Avios will go into your new British Airways Executive Club account.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 9th Apr 18, 8:58 AM
    • 37,776 Posts
    • 159,044 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:58 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:58 AM
    Official details here www.avios.com/travelrewards
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 9th Apr 18, 9:18 AM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:18 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:18 AM
    Looks like this is largely a rebranding exercise which doesn't really change anything. According to the FAQ it will still be possible to earn/combine/redeem on Aer Lingus and other partners, also the Lloyds Avios cards are mentioned and not affected (at least we know they'll still be around in May...).
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 9th Apr 18, 10:10 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    steve1500
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:10 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:10 AM
    also covered off at www.headforpoints.com
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 9th Apr 18, 11:11 AM
    • 3,527 Posts
    • 3,193 Thanks
    phatbear
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:11 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:11 AM
    also the Lloyds Avios cards are mentioned and not affected (at least we know they'll still be around in May...).
    Originally posted by dj1471
    Not sure if this is a joke or not but LLoyds arent accepting new applications at the mo for their LLoyds Avios card.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 9th Apr 18, 11:27 AM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,670 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:27 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:27 AM
    Not sure if this is a joke or not but LLoyds arent accepting new applications at the mo for their LLoyds Avios card.
    Originally posted by phatbear
    I thought it was still available in branch?
    • Shikakui
    • By Shikakui 9th Apr 18, 11:46 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Shikakui
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:46 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:46 AM
    Will this also affect Vueling accounts? They also use avios.com, don't they?
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 9th Apr 18, 12:41 PM
    • 3,527 Posts
    • 3,193 Thanks
    phatbear
    I thought it was still available in branch?
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Ive heard conflicting reports, about in branch applications, but they def aren't accepting online applications
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • oldsinger
    • By oldsinger 17th Apr 18, 4:55 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    oldsinger
    change separates out joint accounts
    the message I had about this change stated that the 3 people in our household who currently pool Tesco Clubcard points into one AVIOS account - will NOT be allowed to pool their points in future but will have to have 3 separate BA Executive accounts - which makes the scheme much less useful
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 17th Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    • 12,358 Posts
    • 8,440 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    the message I had about this change stated that the 3 people in our household who currently pool Tesco Clubcard points into one AVIOS account - will NOT be allowed to pool their points in future but will have to have 3 separate BA Executive accounts - which makes the scheme much less useful
    Originally posted by oldsinger
    Check whether points in the three BA EC accounts can be pooled through what they call a Household Account -- that always used to be possible.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 17th Apr 18, 5:17 PM
    • 6,760 Posts
    • 19,633 Thanks
    Doc N
    Originally posted by oldsinger
    I'm not sure that's quite the case, on the strength of this:

Donít worry, weíll sort out everything for you

Your Avios balance is secure and any existing bookings and pending transactions are safe. Your Avios household account balance will be divided equally and transferred over to new British Airways Executive Club accounts.

Hereís how your household account will be divided

The British Airways Executive Club offer a different set up for household accounts, so we are unable to move your household account across in its current form. As a result, your account will be divided and the Avios balance shared equally between the accounts that make up the household.

If your household account has duplicate membership names and you would like to combine your accounts, or you wish to divide the account balance differently, call us on 0344 49 333 49 or visit avios.com/household before 20 May 2018.

Your new accounts

Your new British Airways Executive Club accounts will be set up for all the accounts listed above unless youíve already contacted us to combine them prior to moving.

Please note your balance will not transfer over into your new accounts until the Avios Travel Rewards Programme officially closes. We will be in touch to let you know when this is happening.
    Should you then wish to create a household account, you can online at ba.com/household

There does seem to be a way to merge accounts - though I don't doubt that the new scheme will be inferior to the old. These schemes never, ever, get better (except for the promoters) - they always get worse.
    • alfista
    • By alfista 23rd Apr 18, 7:33 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    alfista
    Avios / BA Exec
    I contacted the Avios call centre last week. They were very helpful, moved my Avios over to a couple of BA exec accounts - these accounts are my BA household account, so in effect everything works as before.
    It's only rock 'n' roll ...
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 14th May 18, 10:56 AM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    Chomeur
    Just looking at the BA Exec scheme and isn't it way inferior to the avios one? For instance a flight with each London to Paris costs 8000 points but avios charge you £35 on top, BA £80. And availability of flights seems much less.

I have about 13,000 avios which are due to be transferred over the the BA scheme shortly. I'm thinking I'd be better off spending them on wine or a hotel on an upcoming trip than letting them get transferred over.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 14th May 18, 11:06 AM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,670 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Just looking at the BA Exec scheme and isn't it way inferior to the avios one? For instance a flight with each London to Paris costs 8000 points but avios charge you £35 on top, BA £80. And availability of flights seems much less.

I have about 13,000 avios which are due to be transferred over the the BA scheme shortly. I'm thinking I'd be better off spending them on wine or a hotel on an upcoming trip than letting them get transferred over.
    Originally posted by Chomeur
    BA charge taxes, capped at £35 on a single Reward Flight Saver. EDIT, note comment on qualifying flights in comment below.

The £35 is usually lower for the return fare from Europe. Either there's a fault or you're doing something wrong.

I'd call them.
    Last edited by PeacefulWaters; 14-05-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 14th May 18, 11:12 AM
    • 3,491 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    jpsartre

Sounds like you might not qualify for Reward Flight Savers at BAEC. Then you are charged the full amount of taxes. To qualify for RFS you need to have collected at least 1 Avios in the last 12 months.
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 14th May 18, 6:41 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    Chomeur
    Thanks. As Tescos convert my points into avios, I suppose that once the transfer has happened I will start earning some BA avios and all will be well.
    • Rob ODonnell
    • By Rob ODonnell 2nd Jul 18, 1:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rob ODonnell
    Auto Expiry
    Be aware!!!! I transferred 80,000 miles from Avios to BA Exec club on 13th June, on the 14th all 80,000 EXPIRED! I had an existing BA Exec account that I hadn't used for some time, so due to "inactivity" Exec club wrote them all off! I've called and should see them re-instated within 3 days, however that's a right pain as I was about to book flights with BA!! Another 3 day delay before I book!

Be careful!!!!
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 10th Aug 18, 12:38 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    Chomeur
    Thanks. As Tescos convert my points into avios, I suppose that once the transfer has happened I will start earning some BA avios and all will be well.
    Edit, no it seems you have to instruct Clubcard to do this. Otherwise they carry on going to the old avios. Just done it through their website.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

288Posts Today

4,185Users online

Martin's Twitter