Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrHeisenberg
    • By MrHeisenberg 9th Apr 18, 1:38 AM
    • 130Posts
    • 11Thanks
    MrHeisenberg
    Teeth straightening and dental implants
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:38 AM
    Teeth straightening and dental implants 9th Apr 18 at 1:38 AM
    Anyone know if teeth can be more properly centred after dental implants have been placed?

I lost some upper right teeth at a young age and the teeth on the opposite side have drifted across slightly.

I take it once implants are placed I will be stuck with slightly misaligned teeth forever?
Page 1
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 9th Apr 18, 7:13 AM
    • 8,833 Posts
    • 10,513 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:13 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:13 AM
    Really?

With all the other dental problems you've 'entertained' us with over the past months?

This is a priority for you at 1:30 am on a Monday morning?

Teeth can still have orthodontic work if implants are in place. In fact, implants can make good anchors to help move the natural teeth, and are sometimes put in to help with this.

However - it needs factoring in to an overall plan. So make sure the dentist treating you knows exactly the result you want to achieve so that orthodontics and/or implants can be considered as possible solutions.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • suzainkartic
    • By suzainkartic 9th Apr 18, 11:35 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    suzainkartic
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:35 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:35 AM
    If the condition of your misaligned teeth is too severe to be cured by just aligners, but you still don!!!8217;t want braces, then you can perhaps use retainers.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 9th Apr 18, 11:39 AM
    • 4,126 Posts
    • 3,782 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:39 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:39 AM
    Implants cannot be moved by bracework , they are anchored in the bone.

I would also think with your dental history avoiding treatment not strictly necessary would be a very good idea.
    • MrHeisenberg
    • By MrHeisenberg 9th Apr 18, 11:08 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MrHeisenberg
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:08 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:08 PM
    Really?

With all the other dental problems you've 'entertained' us with over the past months?

This is a priority for you at 1:30 am on a Monday morning?

Teeth can still have orthodontic work if implants are in place. In fact, implants can make good anchors to help move the natural teeth, and are sometimes put in to help with this.

However - it needs factoring in to an overall plan. So make sure the dentist treating you knows exactly the result you want to achieve so that orthodontics and/or implants can be considered as possible solutions.
    Originally posted by Toothsmith
    It was actually 12:30 am in the morning.

You may laugh (which would seem to be against the friendly and helpful spirit of the forum) but when one is ashamed to smile it is a big issue.

brook2jack seems to have an opposing opinion?
    Last edited by MrHeisenberg; 09-04-2018 at 11:13 PM.
    • MrHeisenberg
    • By MrHeisenberg 9th Apr 18, 11:26 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MrHeisenberg
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:26 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:26 PM
    I am also told the bone in my upper right quadrant is extremely thin, which could well be a factor in terms of my facial pain (though who can be sure). I am hoping, perhaps over-optimistically, that a bone graft I have scheduled in a few weeks time may actually help, though I am not holding my breath.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 9th Apr 18, 11:27 PM
    • 4,126 Posts
    • 3,782 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:27 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:27 PM
    Not at all. The implants themselves cannot move. The natural teeth can . The implants can be used as an anchor to move other teeth.

Generally orthodontics (braces) is done before implants.

However it would seem an unusual treatment option for someone with your longstanding issues.
    • MrHeisenberg
    • By MrHeisenberg 9th Apr 18, 11:36 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MrHeisenberg
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:36 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:36 PM
    Not at all. The implants themselves cannot move. The natural teeth can . The implants can be used as an anchor to move other teeth.

Generally orthodontics (braces) is done before implants.

However it would seem an unusual treatment option for someone with your longstanding issues.
    Originally posted by brook2jack
    Thanks. This is my problem:

My UL1 and UL2 have drifted. The UL1 is not where it should be and has slightly drifted to where the UR1 once was (by about 2mm or 3mm). I believe the dental implants will be offset to accommodate this, so, if I understand you correctly, nothing can be done about this post-implant surgery?
    • MrHeisenberg
    • By MrHeisenberg 10th Apr 18, 12:46 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MrHeisenberg
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:46 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:46 AM
    Incidentally, I wrote to my dentist and reminded them of their obligations under the Equality Act and they wrote back apologising. Things are now back to normal.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 10th Apr 18, 8:04 AM
    • 8,833 Posts
    • 10,513 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    If implants are put in to simply close gaps with the position of your natural teeth accepted - then it's highly likely that orthodontics will not be possible afterwards. Especially in the situation you describe.

If the people planning your treatment know that this is an issue for you, then they will factor it in before treatment starts.
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    • MrHeisenberg
    • By MrHeisenberg 11th Apr 18, 3:59 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MrHeisenberg
    If implants are put in to simply close gaps with the position of your natural teeth accepted - then it's highly likely that orthodontics will not be possible afterwards. Especially in the situation you describe.

If the people planning your treatment know that this is an issue for you, then they will factor it in before treatment starts.
    I see, thanks. I will probably need to run this past them.

After doing some research, it looks like I may be able straighten them with the Invisalign i7, which I understand costs around 1,400.

Do you think it will be possible start trying to get them aligned correctly after around 2 months after the bone graft? I'm just wondering how best to approach this.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 11th Apr 18, 7:51 AM
    • 8,833 Posts
    • 10,513 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    I think before you have anything done you should talk to whoever is doing it about everything that you might want doing.

This should be done as an entire joined-up plan, not have little bits & pieces tacked on as you go along.

My guess is that Invisalign isn't the best, quickest, most stable or cheapest way to get the tooth movements you described earlier done. But, I don't know as I can't see you and neither am I an orthodontist.
    How to find a dentist.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 11th Apr 18, 8:16 AM
    • 6,456 Posts
    • 11,639 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    I went for an Invisalign consultation for what I thought was a fairly mild case of wanting a couple of twisted teeth straightened. Ended up with 6 teeth removed and two years in train tracks, the orthodontist wanted to do jaw surgery but for me that was a step too far. Invisalign can only really correct the smallest of deviations and rarely costs the price you see on the Internet.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • MrHeisenberg
    • By MrHeisenberg 12th Apr 18, 3:30 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MrHeisenberg
    I think before you have anything done you should talk to whoever is doing it about everything that you might want doing.

This should be done as an entire joined-up plan, not have little bits & pieces tacked on as you go along.

My guess is that Invisalign isn't the best, quickest, most stable or cheapest way to get the tooth movements you described earlier done. But, I don't know as I can't see you and neither am I an orthodontist.
    Thanks. I have made a few enquiries and one dentist/orthodontist nearby has offered a free consultation. I am concerned that it will cost more than I can afford, so probably will need to check this before it even looks like a proposition.
    • MrHeisenberg
    • By MrHeisenberg 12th Apr 18, 3:32 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MrHeisenberg
    I went for an Invisalign consultation for what I thought was a fairly mild case of wanting a couple of twisted teeth straightened. Ended up with 6 teeth removed and two years in train tracks, the orthodontist wanted to do jaw surgery but for me that was a step too far. Invisalign can only really correct the smallest of deviations and rarely costs the price you see on the Internet.
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    All of that must have cost a fortune?
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 12th Apr 18, 4:56 PM
    • 6,456 Posts
    • 11,639 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    All of that must have cost a fortune?
    Originally posted by MrHeisenberg
    I opted to have a fancy system where the front braces were hidden at the back of my front teeth so it was a bit more expensive but it was 2250 all in. I could pay in chunks though. The surgery would have been covered by the nhs as it was necessary to give me a normal bite (I couldn't bite through a sandwich, can now but need to wiggle it a bit to achieve it breaking apart). Had I went with the surgery and normal train tracks it would have been free as there is a scale where they determine if braces are medically necessary or just cosmetic and mine were necessary but you need to go down the nhs recommended route and can't use your own route for that. The nhs don't use Invisalign or the other fancy braces. Also for nhs you need to have excellent gum health so if your dentist says your gums aren't up to scratch the orthodontist can refuse the referral until your gums are better and stay within their necessary limit for I think it's a year
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • MrHeisenberg
    • By MrHeisenberg 12th Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MrHeisenberg
    I opted to have a fancy system where the front braces were hidden at the back of my front teeth so it was a bit more expensive but it was 2250 all in. I could pay in chunks though. The surgery would have been covered by the nhs as it was necessary to give me a normal bite (I couldn't bite through a sandwich, can now but need to wiggle it a bit to achieve it breaking apart). Had I went with the surgery and normal train tracks it would have been free as there is a scale where they determine if braces are medically necessary or just cosmetic and mine were necessary but you need to go down the nhs recommended route and can't use your own route for that. The nhs don't use Invisalign or the other fancy braces. Also for nhs you need to have excellent gum health so if your dentist says your gums aren't up to scratch the orthodontist can refuse the referral until your gums are better and stay within their necessary limit for I think it's a year
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    I see, I suppose that isn't too bad considering the extent of your problem.
    • MrHeisenberg
    • By MrHeisenberg 12th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MrHeisenberg
    This is what a local orthodontist/dentist has said to me:

"It sounds like Invisalign would be ideal to sort out your space with a view to having an implant.

I7 is limited to 7 sets of aligners and if this is adequate to correct your spacing then all well and good. Cost is 1750 and includes a retainer at the end.

If this is not enough correction then the next category up is called Invisalign Lite and this is limited to 14 sets of aligners. Cost here is 2650."

The treatment includes teeth whitening it seems. which seems a bit of luxury I can do without.

• MrHeisenberg
    • By MrHeisenberg 12th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MrHeisenberg
    I have just written to the hospital asking them if this is going to throw a spanner in the works. If it is, I'll probably be left with no choice but to leave things as they are.
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 12th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 7,720 Posts
    • 27,556 Thanks
    Nicki
    I have just written to the hospital asking them if this is going to throw a spanner in the works. If it is, I'll probably be left with no choice but to leave things as they are.
    Originally posted by MrHeisenberg
    Apologies if I'm pointing out what you know already but you do know that teeth straightening (whether using Invisalign or anything else) is quite painful don't you? I know you already suffer from dental pain to a high degree.

I didn't have underlying dental problems like yours and when I had Invisalign treatment and other orthodontic work I found it quite unpleasant for 4-5 days each time the retainer was changed (adjusted for non invisalign work) and had to modify what I ate. My son had occasionally to take painkillers when his train tracks were tightened and his gums were sometimes quite raw for a few days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

297Posts Today

3,574Users online

Martin's Twitter