Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DanielDeronda
    • By DanielDeronda 8th Apr 18, 1:51 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 2Thanks
    DanielDeronda
    Claiming travelling expenses when attending an interview whilst unemployed
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:51 PM
    Claiming travelling expenses when attending an interview whilst unemployed 8th Apr 18 at 1:51 PM
    I am currently claiming new style JSA & have had a few interviews that have meant Ice had to take a train or a taxi from the station to reach the office of the company.
    During previous claims, there was the travel to interview scheme, but I couldn't find anything on gov.uk website.
    What schemes, if any, exist currently to offer support for travelling to interviews?
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 8th Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    • 6,581 Posts
    • 14,152 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    I am currently claiming new style JSA & have had a few interviews that have meant Ice had to take a train or a taxi from the station to reach the office of the company.
    During previous claims, there was the travel to interview scheme, but I couldn't find anything on gov.uk website.
    What schemes, if any, exist currently to offer support for travelling to interviews?
    Originally posted by DanielDeronda
    Most of it is discretionary, so you’d need to ask your advisor. There’s certainly things about cheap railcards but that would need to be applied for before your journey, not after.

When taking taxis would a bus have been available? They won’t oay for a taxi if a bus had been possible.
    • DanielDeronda
    • By DanielDeronda 8th Apr 18, 2:32 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    DanielDeronda
    • 8th Apr 18, 2:32 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 2:32 PM
    I already have a disabled railcard, entitling me to 33% off most train fares. I'll bring it up with my work coach at my next signing-on. There were shuttle buses but only available to employees. There were no bus stops nearby.
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 8th Apr 18, 3:49 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    diggingdude
    • 8th Apr 18, 3:49 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 3:49 PM
    When I had a job interview whilst unemployed 7 years ago I was told to forget this well paid job that I am qualified for because, and I quote "there's a part time porter job available in town". Last time I was prepared to be insulted by that lot and never asked about travel assistance again. I hope there is something for you because i strongly feel people should be supported to get into work.
    House Deposit - Target £20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - £10225 13121.22 £14621.22 £16021 £17296
    • Danday
    • By Danday 8th Apr 18, 3:50 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Danday
    • 8th Apr 18, 3:50 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 3:50 PM
    I thought that payments made under the 'JSA' criteria were to cover travel to and from interviews as would income whilst working be used?
    Or is it that the DWP pay claimants to find a job on top of the benefit they already receive?
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 8th Apr 18, 4:00 PM
    • 2,282 Posts
    • 3,135 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:00 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:00 PM
    Briefing paper from HoC in October 2016 which gives information on the FSF scheme.

As marliepanda says it is discretionary

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06079/SN06079.pdf
    • Nannytone
    • By Nannytone 8th Apr 18, 4:27 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Nannytone
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:27 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:27 PM
    I thought that payments made under the 'JSA' criteria were to cover travel to and from interviews as would income whilst working be used?
    Or is it that the DWP pay claimants to find a job on top of the benefit they already receive?
    Originally posted by Danday
    You are completely right.

these people are paid £73 a week so why can't they pay all their living expenses and food and clothing and pay for their own travel as well?

If they're interview is 20 or 30 miles away then they should have thought about that first shouldn't they and not eaten for a week to pay for it
    • Ames
    • By Ames 8th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    • 17,562 Posts
    • 30,946 Thanks
    Ames
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    I think the biggest problem will be that new style JSA isn't means tested. I'd expect further financial support to only be available to people on income related benefits.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 8th Apr 18, 7:15 PM
    • 991 Posts
    • 1,793 Thanks
    tomtom256
    • 8th Apr 18, 7:15 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 7:15 PM
    Ask your work coach about the flexible support fund, make sure you provide proof of the interview i.e. letter or email and proof of the travel.

If you need it in advance provide proof of the letter and they should do an upfront payment.
    • Hoogle
    • By Hoogle 8th Apr 18, 7:50 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Hoogle
    Nothing wrong in asking, however taxis are probably not covered. Our local buses and job centre do an unemployed travel card scheme where it gives you half price bus travel. Which is good if you only use a bus a couple of times a week/month but it may be cheaper to get a weekly/monthly bus ticket And try and get all your interviews close together ie if you have 3 job interviews all in town centre then you can have an am/lunchtime/afternoon interview on the same day resulting in only 1 return ticket needed. I understand not everyone can cope with multiple interviews.
    • Tommo1980
    • By Tommo1980 9th Apr 18, 4:06 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    Tommo1980
    You really don't have a clue do you....

I don't know what world you live in, but it ain't the same one as the rest of us.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 9th Apr 18, 4:09 PM
    • 2,904 Posts
    • 2,214 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    I was JSA 7 years ago and attended several interviews during that time, not once was I offered travelling expenses. This seems to be the norm nowadays.

When I was looking for a new job in the early 70's after my apprenticeship came to an end I was offered travelling expenses pretty much automatically.
    • batg
    • By batg 9th Apr 18, 11:58 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    batg
    a £10 spend on a bus/train travel to a job interview is a very considerable chunk. It probably equates to being able to eat or not that entire week.

However if one is spending £8 out of say, something like £700 a week on
    a packet of cigarettes, I can see why one would think it's only a tenner and to spend is to speculate.....
    Are you being serious? Say a £10 train/bus fare is nothing compared to the fact that spending that money, getting a job will reap rich rewards for years to come whilst in work.

To spend is to speculate.
    afferent pupillary defect
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 10th Apr 18, 7:37 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    diggingdude
    I believed that the claimant committment signed when claiming JSA was, after a short period of time, said that the claimant should be looking to take up any job?
    Having a choice as to the work that you wanted to do and where was only allowed for a certain number of weeks following the making of the JSA claim?

I could write down the fact that this was after only a short period of time and I had previously been enouraged to apply for it. I could write a whole story about how the magic benefit elf mucked about with my benefits for a number of years. Or I could write down how I have had a job paying tax and national insurance for all my adult life not including these few months and stupidly thought the system was there to assist in acquiring a job where the tax payer doesn't consider to support through benefits whilst in work.

I wont tell any of these stories though, what I will do however is start a Danday style story.

Once upon a time, in the dark dark woods.......
    House Deposit - Target £20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - £10225 13121.22 £14621.22 £16021 £17296
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 10th Apr 18, 3:36 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 2,692 Thanks
    dippy3103
    They pay for travel to an interview if the cost is exceptional.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 10th Apr 18, 4:49 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Danday
    They pay for travel to an interview if the cost is exceptional.
    Originally posted by dippy3103
    You would have to question as to what the JC+ think is 'exceptional'.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 10th Apr 18, 4:51 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Danday
    You would have to question as to what the JC+ think is 'exceptional'.
    People pay up to 25% of their weekly wage (if not more) just to get to and from work.
    • Tommo1980
    • By Tommo1980 10th Apr 18, 5:03 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    Tommo1980
    Blah blah blah
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 10th Apr 18, 5:07 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    Tallaght
    Get a bus pass for free fares and use that to get to go to interviews.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 10th Apr 18, 5:23 PM
    • 22,500 Posts
    • 11,112 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Get a bus pass for free fares and use that to get to go to interviews.
    Where do you get a bus pass for free?
    What if the interview (or your home) is not on a bus route?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,213Posts Today

8,079Users online

Martin's Twitter