Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • millysg1
    • By millysg1 8th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 503Posts
    • 1,668Thanks
    millysg1
    Think Rabbits dying, any advice
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    Think Rabbits dying, any advice 8th Apr 18 at 1:02 PM
    So our bunny is 8.5, house rabbit and eats all fresh food but the last few days he hasn!!!8217;t eaten much.

Today he has been dribbling a lot, wet eyes and hiding from us which is very unusual. Breathing fast too. I!!!8217;ve looked this up and it looks like he is on his way out

He is currently hiding under my sons bed, we!!!8217;ve put food under there for him and left him to it as he doesn!!!8217;t seem to want to come out.

Does anyone know anything about rabbits? Should we take him to vets tomorrow if he is still the same? Or will that just over stress him in what might be a pointless trip? It!!!8217;s a half an hour drive each way and he gets very distressed in car rides. Do we take him only if he seems to deteriorate or be in pain etc?

Any advice is welcome is this upsetting time.
    Last edited by millysg1; 08-04-2018 at 1:08 PM.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Apr 18, 1:04 PM
    • 32,862 Posts
    • 38,450 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:04 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:04 PM
    I'd keep it at home and let things take their course.

Stress is likely to be too much on a trip to the vets

Our guinea pig died overnight after similar symptoms
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • millysg1
    • By millysg1 8th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 1,668 Thanks
    millysg1
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    I'd keep it at home and let things take their course.

Stress is likely to be too much on a trip to the vets

Our guinea pig died overnight after similar symptoms
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Thank you, thatís what I was thinking but didnít want to be cruel to him by not seeing the vet and but I do think the trip will be too much.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 8th Apr 18, 1:15 PM
    • 24,120 Posts
    • 95,139 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:15 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:15 PM
    I disagree.

Animals that are dying suffer. They can suffer for ages before finally succumbing to whatever it is that's killing them - and many things can be treated.

Take him to the vet as a priority - he might die on the way, he might need to be put to sleep to end his pain and distress - or he might need some treatment that would cure him completely. All that's certain is that the animal is suffering now and by doing nothing, that is guaranteed to continue.

You want to do the right thing; I think that risking an 'oh, he's gone' moment when you look in the carrier to either get him treated or allowed to slip away pain free when you get there is the right thing.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • millysg1
    • By millysg1 8th Apr 18, 1:28 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 1,668 Thanks
    millysg1
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:28 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:28 PM
    I disagree.

Animals that are dying suffer. They can suffer for ages before finally succumbing to whatever it is that's killing them - and many things can be treated.

Take him to the vet as a priority - he might die on the way, he might need to be put to sleep to end his pain and distress - or he might need some treatment that would cure him completely. All that's certain is that the animal is suffering now and by doing nothing, that is guaranteed to continue.

You want to do the right thing; I think that risking an 'oh, he's gone' moment when you look in the carrier to either get him treated or allowed to slip away pain free when you get there is the right thing.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted

Another very good point. I don!!!8217;t think there isnt much we can do today. But I think we will assess first thing in the morning and call the vets and get their advice on whether to bring him in. I just don!!!8217;t want to cause him increased pain and stress by transporting him.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 8th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 3,207 Thanks
    DD265
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    I would ring your vet for advice today, rather than waiting until tomorrow. Although not in office hours most vets would rather a quick phone call - and they may request you take your rabbit in as an emergency - rather than an animal left to suffer.

I hope that the outcome is either a full recovery or a painless passing.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    • 32,862 Posts
    • 38,450 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    You cannot contact a vet out of Hours down here , you are told to ring the emergency vet , then told to take it in

I'd rather my pet died peacefully at home rather than during a stressful journey in a box or cage on the way to the vets unless it is in pain or obvious distress . Rapid shallow breathing is normally a sign of heart failure
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Apr 18, 2:57 PM
    • 32,862 Posts
    • 38,450 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Apr 18, 2:57 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 2:57 PM
    http://www.dummies.com/pets/other-animals/knowing-when-your-rabbit-needs-emergency-treatment/
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 8th Apr 18, 3:00 PM
    • 6,105 Posts
    • 11,484 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 8th Apr 18, 3:00 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 3:00 PM
    Phone the vet today, denying an animal appropriate vet care is cruel.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 8th Apr 18, 3:02 PM
    • 10,948 Posts
    • 23,540 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    You cannot contact a vet out of Hours down here , you are told to ring the emergency vet , then told to take it in

I'd rather my pet died peacefully at home rather than during a stressful journey in a box or cage on the way to the vets unless it is in pain or obvious distress . Rapid shallow breathing is normally a sign of heart failure
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    I agree with you.

Our dog died a few weeks ago at the age of 17 and 5 months.

She had reached her time, She was not in pain or distress.

She absolutely hated going to the vet and would struggle to get away when we got there.

I did not want her last moments to be like that.

She passed peacefully at home in her own bed within a few hours.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 8th Apr 18, 5:52 PM
    • 2,583 Posts
    • 6,909 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I agree with you.

Our dog died a few weeks ago at the age of 17 and 5 months.

She had reached her time, She was not in pain or distress.

She absolutely hated going to the vet and would struggle to get away when we got there.

I did not want her last moments to be like that.

She passed peacefully at home in her own bed within a few hours.
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR

This rabbit seems to be in significant distress though.

Personally, I'd get the vet to come to the house to PTS asap, no matter what the cost.
    • millysg1
    • By millysg1 8th Apr 18, 6:11 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 1,668 Thanks
    millysg1
    So a little update. We remembered a friend of ours GF is a vet nurse. We called her and she has looked at him and says he has probably had a stroke. She has left us some pain medication for him and some special food (he probably won!!!8217;t eat it but at least it!!!8217;s there). She doesn!!!8217;t think there is anything else a vet could do for him so not worth the trauma of transporting him. So we!!!8217;ll just wait and see what happens tonight and reassess in the morning.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 32,862 Posts
    • 38,450 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Mine went peacefully overnight so hopefully a dignified last day at home for you .

Glad your friend was able to clarify things for you
    • dottiedotdot
    • By dottiedotdot 8th Apr 18, 6:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dottiedotdot
    Please please please take your rabbit to a vet or call for advice. Dribbling and wet eyes can be a sign of dental problems which are easily treatable and heavy breathing could just be stress. Please don't let it suffer over something that could be easily treated.
    • baza52
    • By baza52 8th Apr 18, 7:00 PM
    • 2,139 Posts
    • 2,212 Thanks
    baza52
    OP, get the poor thing to a Vet.
    Saying the rabbit might get stressed is just a cop out, its clearly not well and could be suffering.
    Letting nature take its course is a selfish act on your part.
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 8th Apr 18, 8:24 PM
    • 4,395 Posts
    • 5,543 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    How can a VN prescribe medication? If she left any, then it won't/shouldn't be prescription meds.
    Sounds to me like YOU don't want to take him, yes a car journey (cover the carrier) may distress him, but he's distressed as it is & either way, in an hour the Vet will have him not in distress, which to me beats him going until the morning in distress

You can still call the OOH Vet for advice, and they won't say to bring him in if it's not needed. None of us are Vets (some on MSE are, but even they don't know your pet)

Please just take him in, it's not fair to leave him, he's clearly unwell
    • millysg1
    • By millysg1 8th Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 1,668 Thanks
    millysg1
    I have taken very good advice, had him seen to and diagnosed. She will return in the morning and advice again. She is very experienced and I trust her. If she says take him to the vet or call the vet then I will and I will.

I really am trying to do what!!!8217;s best for him. I hate to see him distressed, it is heart breaking. We!!!8217;ve been in and out of tears all day so please don!!!8217;t assume I!!!8217;m purposely leaving him in any pain. I want to do what is best.

He is still hoping about and taken some food since she has seen him.
    • baza52
    • By baza52 8th Apr 18, 8:54 PM
    • 2,139 Posts
    • 2,212 Thanks
    baza52
    I have taken very good advice, had him seen to and diagnosed. She will return in the morning and advice again. She is very experienced and I trust her. If she says take him to the vet or call the vet then I will and I will.

I really am trying to do what!!!8217;s best for him. I hate to see him distressed, it is heart breaking. We!!!8217;ve been in and out of tears all day so please don!!!8217;t assume I!!!8217;m purposely leaving him in any pain. I want to do what is best.

He is still hoping about and taken some food since she has seen him.
    Originally posted by millysg1
    Would you trust your childrens teeth being diagnosed by a dental nurse?
    She/He is a nurse and NOT qualified to make a diagnosis.

If you are truly heartbroken you must love the rabbit, if thats the case spend the money and visit a Vet.

If she has left pain medication she must be thinking the rabbit is in pain.
    Last edited by baza52; 08-04-2018 at 8:59 PM.
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 8th Apr 18, 9:06 PM
    • 4,395 Posts
    • 5,543 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    Would you trust your childrens teeth being diagnosed by a dental nurse?
    She/He is a nurse and NOT qualified to make a diagnosis.

If you are truly heartbroken you must love the rabbit, if thats the case spend the money and visit a Vet.

If she has left pain medication she must be thinking the rabbit is in pain.
    Originally posted by baza52
    This, not even sure how she can leave meds? VN's aren't able to prescribe, diagnose etc. Why would you ask a Nurse, over at least calling your own Vet OOH?? (Vet who has medical notes etc)

If you don't want him distressed, why not take him vet? My Cat doesn't like going, but sometimes we have to do what we don't like & she is going tomorrow. I don't personally like some tests I have to have, and being EUPD they can severely distress me, but I have them

You asked a board of pet lovers, instead of asking the Vet, most say to call the Vet & you don't like us being concerned about him & giving good advice? Sorry it's harsh but i'm not going to say it's ok to leave him!

Asked my friend who has 5 rabbits, she said if hers she'd go Vets right away & rabbits can be iffy (and if he IS dying, then it's not of old age in his sleep so it's best to get him in)

My 18yr old cat died at the OOH Vets in 2016, I thought she was constipated due to her CKD & she was in less distress than the rabbit sounds. Turned out she needed to be PTS & I was right to take her, and why risk it? I don't understand the reluctance to take him, it'd put your mind at ease, and if he IS suffering/distressed, it will be sorted in an hour not 24
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 8th Apr 18, 9:09 PM
    • 4,395 Posts
    • 5,543 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    (& as to not anything else a Vet could do, a Vet could PTS if needed, administer fluids/painkillers etc etc) plus it may not be a stroke. For a rabbit, they need an exotics vet, is this VN even part of an exotics practice? (tho yes, they will still see many rabbits)

Please just take him, if you were distressed and in pain, would you not want proper medical help?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

805Posts Today

6,258Users online

Martin's Twitter