Does anyone else have trouble finding a gardener?

I just have to rant. For almost 3 years I have been looking for a gardener. I have tried mobile apps, Facebook, RatedPeople and so on. The most recent attempt was an ad in a window and like the rest before them; responded in good time, arranged a meeting but failed to show up.
I have been in contact with no less then 10 people and it's always the same.

I am not even including those who I sent pictures to only to quote almost £100 to cut a small front garden and hedge.

Comments

• lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When I rented a property, the letting agent recommended a very good and cheap gardener.
    But as a landlord, I asked my letting agent for a recommendation for an electrician and I used them but they were expensive, compared to the alternatives who I knew myself, but were unavailable.
    So you could ask nearby letting agents, who they use.

In terms of the £100, that may be reasonable. In terms of the hedge cuttings, are they going to put it on your compost heap or in your waste bin?
    If not, they will remove the hedge stuff themselves and hopefully dispose of it at an authorised tip. These days this costs money for commercial outfits to dispose at the tip.

HTH
  • outofworksch
    outofworksch Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Try your local garden centre, they get to know their customers fairly well and should know who are professional gardeners and who aren't.

You could also ask if there is somewhere you could leave a card asking for help.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Do you know anyone else who uses a gardener? I'd say personal recommendation is the way to go.

I found mine after asking several builders who were doing work for me if they knew anyone: they didn't. Then I needed a tree surgeon, and he said he might ... because his wife was a gardener, but he didn't know if she had capacity! Fortunately she likes to have plenty of clients, and she knew she was shortly losing one job (emigration), so she came to me. Now she does my neighbour too!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    One of the problems with gardeners is that any muppet can set themselves up as one and do a cheap job at a cheap price.

This tends to make good gardeners rare and expensive.

There are, of course, good and reasonably priced gardeners out there but they generally have more than enough work on to keep them happy.
  • Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Do you know anyone else who uses a gardener? I'd say personal recommendation is the way to go.

I found mine after asking several builders who were doing work for me if they knew anyone: they didn't. Then I needed a tree surgeon, and he said he might ... because his wife was a gardener, but he didn't know if she had capacity! Fortunately she likes to have plenty of clients, and she knew she was shortly losing one job (emigration), so she came to me. Now she does my neighbour too!

Our neighbor across had one. When I found out I waited for him to show up on the weekend but unfortunately the neighbor passed that week.

Thanks for the reply all. How much does a gardener usually charge? I am trying to find someone for no more than £20 an hour. The job initially should take no more than 1.5 hours and less than an hour for ongoing maintenance.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    I don't think that's enough money. Anyone who's reasonably skilled deserves at least 50 quid for turning up and doing a job for you. We used to pay my gran's gardener 50 quid a visit. Sometimes he'd be an hour, sometimes two depending on what needed doing. That was back in 2011.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Our neighbor across had one. When I found out I waited for him to show up on the weekend but unfortunately the neighbor passed that week.
    Has the house sold since then? If not, I'd put a note through for whoever is dealing with the estate, just asking if they know who the gardener was. I know they might not, but if it's family dealing with it there's a fair chance.
    Thanks for the reply all. How much does a gardener usually charge? I am trying to find someone for no more than £20 an hour. The job initially should take no more than 1.5 hours and less than an hour for ongoing maintenance.
    I'd say it depends where you live, but definitely expect to pay for at least an hour a week even if the job takes less time than that.
    shortcrust wrote: »
    I don't think that's enough money. Anyone who's reasonably skilled deserves at least 50 quid for turning up and doing a job for you. We used to pay my gran's gardener 50 quid a visit. Sometimes he'd be an hour, sometimes two depending on what needed doing. That was back in 2011.
    that seems a lot to me. Mine only charges £15 per hour, but when she said that I practically bit her hand off as I was expecting to pay more ...

OP is it skilled work or would a willing teenager be able to do it, under supervision? Do you have the tools? That would widen the pool, IMO, especially if you KNOW any teenagers ...
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Parent struggled to find a proper gardener.
    It's easy enough to find someone to mow a lawn and do a bit of strimming, or someone to come in and do one off garden clearance, but finding someone to come regularly and do the weeding, pruning, digging up and moving etc. was nigh on impossible. She eventually tracked down a retired person who had time on his hands and only a small garden of his own. She only pays £10 an hour (she would happily pay more) as the person enjoys doing her garden and won't accept any more than that.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Just wondering, is a garden share a possibility? eg Lend and Tend?
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    shortcrust wrote: »

I think that is utterly ridiculous. Even working 30 hours a week for only 9 months of the year, that puts them on just under £60k a year.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family