Halifax share dealing website

Options
Hi,

So, a few months ago I opened a Halifax online share dealing account as it best suited my needs in terms of costs etc. Haven't had any real problems with it, but does anyone else use it and find their web addresses a bit naff? e.g. if you start with a google search you find an address along the lines of halifax.co.uk/sharedealing (which seems reasonable to me). But after a bit of attempted navigation and logging in you need to use: halifaxsharedealing-online.co.uk (which seems less reasonable given all of the horror stories you hear about fake but similar websites being set up).

I'm not saying I have any reason to doubt this site; am I just being overly picky?

Thanks,
Tom

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are a customer then why do you have to use a Google search to find the webpage? Bookmark it!
  • grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2018 at 4:20PM
    Options
    i would always bookmark a secure webpage - i.e. an address beginning https:// - to protect myself against "man in the middle" attacks. ideally, a secure webpage which includes a login box, to save time.

you do need to verify (once, before bookmarking it, not every time) by some means that you have a secure webpage on the right site (not on a scam site). i agree it's more obvious that https://www.halifax.co.uk/sharedealing/ belongs to halifax; you can then verify that that site links to the login page on the less obvious domain.
  • In_For_A_Penny_2
    Options
    Obtom wrote: »
    Does anyone else use it and find their web addresses a bit naff? e.g. if you start with a google search you find an address along the lines of halifax.co.uk/sharedealing (which seems reasonable to me). But after a bit of attempted navigation and logging in you need to use: halifaxsharedealing-online.co.uk (which seems less reasonable given all of the horror stories you hear about fake but similar websites being set up).

Bizarre post of the day.
  • Obtom
    Obtom Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Bizarre post of the day.

Well definitely on the paranoid side anyway :)

Yes, have definitely bookmarked the main share dealing site for future use thanks!
  • inflationbuster
    Options
    Computer newbie alert ?
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to comment, not specifically regarding Halifax secure site, but some secure sites are one use only, i.e. they generate a URL which will not be valid to use next time. Approximately 20% of my secure sites fall under this category and so you need to bookmark the main site.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family