So how was that (financial) year for you?

Options

Comments

• Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Indeed, most here do not have 13% return for the tax year just ended unless they have deliberately gone for higher risk funds. So to get 17% by happy accident is a combination of relatively high risk and luck.
    It would be really interesting to know what funds that bundly picked for a portfolio to gain 17% returns over the financial year, just to see how high risk a portfolio it is. I'm no expert but more experienced investors on here may then be able to suggest ways to de-risk the portfolio a bit, which may help her to protect some of her gains from future crashes if/when they occur.
  • bundly
    bundly Posts: 1,035 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 April 2018 at 5:15PM
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Do you mean that literally, i.e. that you don't have any cash savings?

Yes. I have no cash savings. I have about 2k knocking about in various bank accounts, doing the merry-go-round necessary to get the switching incentives, plus a SIPP full to the brim, which also made 12.28% last year as well as the govt handing me £76 a month to add to my SIPP.

I closed all my stupid savings accounts paying 0.0001% or whatever and put the lot into stocks and shares. My S&S are spread over 17 funds and each of those 17 funds is invested in a spread of funds so my investments are spread across at least 100 companies.

I also opened accounts with Landbay and Bondmason, and my investments were earning 8% but the stocks and shares were doing better so I withdrew it all and stuck it in my ISA.
  • bundly
    edited 7 April 2018 at 5:12PM
    Options
    I just popped in and found to my astonishment lungboy, prism, eskbanker, bowlhead and audaxer discussing me!

I'm very grateful that peeps are taking an interest in my welfare, and have read all you wrote, and am as ever grateful for advice if people can see me heading for disaster.

I acknowledge that I was just lucky and that next year I might only make 10% or even 5%. Even if I made 0%, that 17% would tide me over and would be 8.5% overall for the two years, wouldn't it? Anything is better than having it all in silly BS savings paying 1%.

The only problem is, I really don't want to spend any time at all "Doing some more research on the funds you purchased and what sort of losses they could produce when markets are less favourable. Do some reading up on Investments generally through books and blogs." I know I *ought* to, but honestly the whole thing bores me, the jargon makes my eyes glass over, and the figures swirl around in my head and make my little brain ache. I apologise profusely for being like this, but I just am.

I don't actually have any use for this money, to be honest, I live fairly frugally and I would not be surprised if I never get to enjoy it, and it ends up in the hands of my beneficiary when I am dead. To make matters worse I will be soon be getting another £220/m from an occupational pension. I don't need it to live on, and need somewhere to stick it.

The stocks I chose were (I think) all from the HL Wealth 150, which are funds that HL themselves have picked as not being volatile or too risky.

audaxer I can't give away all my secrets but here are two I chose myself: Legg Mason IF Japan Equity (gained 38% over the year) and Baillie Gifford Japanese Smaller Companies (16%).

Two that I am in with my ISA are Man GLG Continental European Growth (15%) and Baring Europe Select (16%).

Nice that Bowlhead reminded me that a year ago I had £100k. I now have £155k. Not too shabby for a tw*t who has almost no idea what she's doing.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    bundly wrote: »
    Yes. I have no cash savings. I have about 2k knocking about in various bank accounts, doing the merry-go-round necessary to get the switching incentives, plus a SIPP full to the brim, which also made 13% last year as well as the govt handing me £76 a month to add to my SIPP.

I closed all my stupid savings accounts paying 0.0001% or whatever and put the lot into stocks and shares. My S&S are spread over 17 funds and each of those 17 funds is invested in a spread of funds so my investments are spread across at least 100 companies.
    I acknowledge that I was just lucky and that next year I might only make 10% or even 5%. Even if I made 0%, that 17% would tide me over and would be 8.5% overall for the two years, wouldn't it? Anything is better than having it all in silly BS savings paying 1%.

Nice that Bowlhead reminded me that a year ago I had £100k. I now have £155k. Not too shabby for a tw*t who has almost no idea what she's doing.

Seriously? Is this a wind-up?

You have no cash other than £2,000, and yet you have investments in excess of £150,000? What happens if a sudden and unexpected expense occurs, e.g. you need a new boiler? That alone will more or less wipe out your £2,000. If that happens and, for example, your car needs some work doing then you will have to borrow money to achieve that, or cash in investments that might be at a low following a market correction.

This is an extremely high risk strategy, which seems at odds with your view that your investments are not too high risk.
  • bundly
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Seriously? Is this a wind-up?

You have no cash other than £2,000, and yet you have investments in excess of £150,000? What happens if a sudden and unexpected expense occurs, e.g. you need a new boiler? That alone will more or less wipe out your £2,000. If that happens and, for example, your car needs some work doing then you will have to borrow money to achieve that, or cash in investments that might be at a low following a market correction.

This is an extremely high risk strategy, which seems at odds with your view that your investments are not too high risk.

No, Valiant, this isn't a "wind-up" - this is my real life.

If a sudden large expense occurs, costing more than the couple of grand I have knocking about in the bank, I can withdraw money from the Stocks and Shares ISA, my SIPP, or my Share & Fund account, and it takes about 3 days for the money to appear in my bank account.

Can't imagine any sudden expense that can't wait a few days to be paid. New boiler last year was £1500 but they gave me 30 days to pay. I don't have a car. But giving you the benefit of the doubt if some disaster happened that had to be paid for that same day, I would definitely NOT borrow money. My credit card has a limit of £6,000. I would stick it on that till the withdrawn money came in from HL then pay it off before any interest was charged.

BOWLHEAD

I hope you will meet me over on my new thread about what to do with another £220/m I shall start getting in the next few weeks. I don't have any use for it and am looking to invest it somewhere ....

Thanks very much everyone. I am really touched to find everyone concerned for my welfare. I really DON'T need my ex - I have all you lot!
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I just popped in and found to my astonishment lungboy, prism, eskbanker, bowlhead and audaxer discussing me!

I'm very grateful that peeps are taking an interest in my welfare, and have read all you wrote, and am as ever grateful for advice if people can see me heading for disaster.

The only problem is, I really don't want to spend any time at all "Doing some more research on the funds you purchased and what sort of losses they could produce when markets are less favourable. Do some reading up on Investments generally through books and blogs." I know I *ought* to, but honestly the whole thing bores me, the jargon makes my eyes glass over, and the figures swirl around in my head and make my little brain ache. I apologise profusely for being like this, but I just am.

I don't actually have any use for this money, to be honest, I live fairly frugally and I would not be surprised if I never get to enjoy it, and it ends up in the hands of my beneficiary when I am dead. To make matters worse I will be soon be getting another £220/m from an occupational pension. I don't need it to live on, and need somewhere to stick it.

The stocks I chose were (I think) all from the HL Wealth 150, which are funds that HL themselves have picked as not being volatile or too risky.

audaxer I can't give away all my secrets but here are two I chose myself: Legg Mason IF Japan Equity (gained 38% over the year) and Baillie Gifford Japanese Smaller Companies (16%).

Two that I am in with my ISA are Man GLG Continental European Growth (15%) and Baring Europe Select (16%).

We each have our own route, and I not only wish you well with yours but would appreciate updates on its progress.

However, the use of certain terms are counter productive (but amusing) on line.
  • capital0ne
    capital0ne Posts: 872 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This whole thread is definitely a wind up, its the Kings New Clothes with a financial bent - quite amusing
  • bundly
    Options
    TBC15 wrote: »
    the use of certain terms are counter productive (but amusing) on line.

I don't understand. Can you explain?
  • bundly
    Options
    capital0ne wrote: »
    This whole thread is definitely a wind up, its the Kings New Clothes with a financial bent - quite amusing

I don't understand this, either.

I'm on the sick because I was injured saving a man's life on the railway. My injury did something to my brain and I am no longer the sharpest knife in the drawer. I don't seem to "get" things as easily as I used to, unless they are spelled out to me. So please don't take the mick as that is not nice when someone has a disability.
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't understand this, either.

I don't either so its not just you. I like your fund choice. The others are just worried that you will lose a huge chunk of it (temporarily if there is a crash) as its all equities
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure