Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • keasy
    • By keasy 5th Apr 18, 8:39 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 0Thanks
    keasy
    Summer Hols CC Advice; Existing Clarity or Barclay Platinum?
    • 5th Apr 18, 8:39 PM
    Summer Hols CC Advice; Existing Clarity or Barclay Platinum? 5th Apr 18 at 8:39 PM
    Hi folks,

I'm off on hols to the Balearic's in June.
    It's been almost two years since I last used my Halifax Clarity card back in 2016 when I visited Mexico.
    It worked out great back then (despite being very aware of the dodgy ATM's over there) and hardly cost me thing to withdraw cash.

Now the new hols are upon us and I was wondering if it's best to stick with my Clarity card or apply for the Barclay Platinum?

When abroad I always have the money I need in Sterling stored in my current account at home, so when I return I have the full amount covered and pay it off in full within a few days of returning.
    It's just that I like the piece of mind of knowing I can withdraw the amount of cash I need as and when required. Not having to carry a fortnight's worth of holiday money is a lot more relaxed.

Any advice welcome, not too technical mind you, I'm an NHS worker! Ask me to rehab you after a new knee or hip and zero problemo but don't get me confused with money!

Thx.
Page 1
    • keasy
    • By keasy 5th Apr 18, 8:42 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keasy
    • 5th Apr 18, 8:42 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 8:42 PM
    PS.
    If anyone knows the ATM charges in or around Alcudia I'd appreciate knowing that too.

Thx again.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 5th Apr 18, 8:57 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 10,637 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 5th Apr 18, 8:57 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 8:57 PM
    Assuming you clear balances in full, the Barclays option is marginally better as it won't charge you any interest. Clarity remains decent though, so worth retaining.

Starling Bank current account also a strong contender.

I believe Santander and Sabadell ATMs will charge you. If you are left with no choice, larger withdrawals are better value when the ATM has a flat fee.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 5th Apr 18, 9:00 PM
    • 30,147 Posts
    • 17,998 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 5th Apr 18, 9:00 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 9:00 PM
    PS.
    If anyone knows the ATM charges in or around Alcudia I'd appreciate knowing that too.

Thx again.
    Originally posted by keasy
    Many Spanish banks are now starting to make a charge for withdrawals, eg Santander is 5 I believe. There's a thread on the Overseas board detailing other banks' charges.

Banca March ATMs are still free to use (or were last month in the Canaries).

Be sure to select "without conversion" when prompted.
    • keasy
    • By keasy 12th Apr 18, 5:00 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keasy
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:00 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:00 PM
    Thanks for the reply folks.
    • Alexd52
    • By Alexd52 12th Apr 18, 8:56 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Alexd52
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:56 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:56 PM
    Another vote for using Starling bank debit card. (Monzo would work too but limited cash withdrawals would limit usage)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,794Posts Today

4,211Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin