No audio on videos

Options
Hope someone can help me.
I've started having problems with the sound on videos I play on YouTube, Facebook and the BBC iPlayer. Have checked that the sound isn't muted either on my laptop or on the video; I've restarted my computer (that used to work sometimes) and also tried clearing the cache on my browser (which worked yesterday but didn't work today).
I'm using Windows 10 and Firefox as my browser.
Anyone know what might going on?
Thanks

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You say 'on videos' but I can't see anything saying you've tested 'just sound' - like an MP3. Sometimes if you mess around with headphones, bluetooth, HDMI etc, whilst the computer tries to auto switch to where you want the sound, it doesn't always get it right.
    There's a little speaker icon bottom right - I think you right click on it, and click 'playback devices'. If you do this you should see your laptop's speakers, headphone socket etc. Check which one's active. Play a video, see if the bar jumps to the sound. Maybe that has worked, if not, we can look more into a software issue...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    You say 'on videos' but I can't see anything saying you've tested 'just sound' - like an MP3. Sometimes if you mess around with headphones, bluetooth, HDMI etc, whilst the computer tries to auto switch to where you want the sound, it doesn't always get it right.
    There's a little speaker icon bottom right - I think you right click on it, and click 'playback devices'. If you do this you should see your laptop's speakers, headphone socket etc. Check which one's active. Play a video, see if the bar jumps to the sound. Maybe that has worked, if not, we can look more into a software issue...

Thanks for this. Yes, the sound bar works - it's moving as the video is playing, but still no sound. (Yes I've made sure there isn't a X next to the speaker icon on the video). Any thoughts about what I could do next?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Been asked but have you tried an MP3 or a cd, a video on BBC.co.uk ?

Take it you have checked the volume is up ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Been asked but have you tried an MP3 or a cd, a video on BBC.co.uk ?

Take it you have checked the volume is up ?

My laptop doesn't take CDs but I've tried BBC iPlayer, also videos on Facebook, and an MP3. Nothing at all, sadly.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    in windows 10, in the systems tray, right click on speaker, select troubleshoot sound problems
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 April 2018 at 5:25PM
    Options
    that wrote: »
    in windows 10, in the systems tray, right click on speaker, select troubleshoot sound problems

Thanks - I did that, and asked it to fix problems, and it looked hopeful for a while, but resulted in the message: "Audio services not responding".

Then I changed the Default Device - success! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Really appreciate it.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for this. Yes, the sound bar works - it's moving as the video is playing, but still no sound.
    Then I changed the Default Device

Good stuff. Looks like the wrong playback device was selected - HDMI output, headphones, some other one, instead of the computer's own speakers. Can happen sometimes, especially if you're plugging any of the above in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure