Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    bm92
    Warning - Currys price promise
    • 4th Apr 18, 12:51 PM
    Warning - Currys price promise 4th Apr 18 at 12:51 PM
    I phoned Currys to enquire about a price match on a Sony TV on sale at 629 from Currys, but sold by Amazon at 599. This employee spoke to her manager and informed me that Currys would indeed match the price offered by Amazon as is suggested by the 'price promise' information on their website.

I subsequently bought 600 of Currys gift card though my company to receive the 7% affiliation reward benefit we have access to. I then phoned the sales team again to complete the purchase and spoke to another Currys employees who informed me that Currys would in fact not match Amazons price as they do not offer the same 5-year guarantee that Currys offer. I informed them that I had spoken to one of his colleagues the previous day, who had explicitly told me that Currys would match this price. But, he told me that he would not provide a price match and suggested it was my fault for leaving it a day before phoning back up 'as prices and offers change daily' (neither Amazon or Currys prices/offers had changed), and offered to put me through to the complaints department.

I then spoke to another of Currys employees within the complaints department, who then offered to provide the price match for me, but only after I completed the purchase of the product allowing him to reimburse me the difference. I did so, but was then told that the difference would be paid almost entirely back onto the gift card, so I still spent 629 instead of the 599 that I was promised. I subsequently cancelled the order, but am now waiting for 600 worth of gift card to be posted to me.

Be warned, Currys appear to not want to honour their price promise and don't seem to have consistency throughout their customer service.
Page 1
    • codger
    • By codger 8th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    codger
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    Currys is not a business to be trusted. It was recently slammed by the regukator for charging customers to install a Windows OS on the laptops they bought, when in fact, the laptops came from the manufacturer with the OS already installed. Currys explanation? A misunderstanding must've occurred somewhere. Yeah. Right. Funny, over the many years, how Currys' customers are always at the centre of the company's innocent. . . misunderstandings.

It was such a shame that Comet went down. It left the field clear for Currys / Dixons / Carphones Warehouse to screw the public time and time again.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Apr 18, 8:37 PM
    • 16,520 Posts
    • 41,700 Thanks
    elsien
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:37 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:37 PM
    I phoned Currys to enquire about a price match on a Sony TV on sale at 629 from Currys, but sold by Amazon at 599. This employee spoke to her manager and informed me that Currys would indeed match the price offered by Amazon as is suggested by the 'price promise' information on their website.

I subsequently bought 600 of Currys gift card though my company to receive the 7% affiliation reward benefit we have access to. I then phoned the sales team again to complete the purchase and spoke to another Currys employees who informed me that Currys would in fact not match Amazons price as they do not offer the same 5-year guarantee that Currys offer. I informed them that I had spoken to one of his colleagues the previous day, who had explicitly told me that Currys would match this price. But, he told me that he would not provide a price match and suggested it was my fault for leaving it a day before phoning back up 'as prices and offers change daily' (neither Amazon or Currys prices/offers had changed), and offered to put me through to the complaints department.

I then spoke to another of Currys employees within the complaints department, who then offered to provide the price match for me, but only after I completed the purchase of the product allowing him to reimburse me the difference. I did so, but was then told that the difference would be paid almost entirely back onto the gift card, so I still spent 629 instead of the 599 that I was promised. I subsequently cancelled the order, but am now waiting for 600 worth of gift card to be posted to me.

Be warned, Currys appear to not want to honour their price promise and don't seem to have consistency throughout their customer service.
    Originally posted by bm92

So you've now got 600 of vouchers that you no longer need? Wouldn't it have been better to take the refund onto the card to use another time?
    I'm surprised they agreed to price match Amazon in the first place. Usually the match is against other stores in a specific radius.
    Their terms and conditions do say "The competitor!!!8217;s item must be brand new, identical to ours, and offered on the same terms." so the extended warranty may well affect that. Did you tell the first person you spoke to that the deal was not identical?
    Last edited by elsien; 08-04-2018 at 8:41 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • takman
    • By takman 8th Apr 18, 9:30 PM
    • 3,385 Posts
    • 2,985 Thanks
    takman
    • 8th Apr 18, 9:30 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 9:30 PM
    Currys is not a business to be trusted. It was recently slammed by the regukator for charging customers to install a Windows OS on the laptops they bought, when in fact, the laptops came from the manufacturer with the OS already installed. Currys explanation? A misunderstanding must've occurred somewhere. Yeah. Right. Funny, over the many years, how Currys' customers are always at the centre of the company's innocent. . . misunderstandings.

It was such a shame that Comet went down. It left the field clear for Currys / Dixons / Carphones Warehouse to screw the public time and time again.
    Originally posted by codger
    Have you got a source with details for that?.

I know they try and charge extra to "setup" the laptop but I havn't heard of them charging to actually install Windows!!!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 12th Apr 18, 12:23 AM
    • 9,044 Posts
    • 5,392 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:23 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:23 AM
    Richer Sounds price promise to undercut any deal over a certain price (otherwise match) has to be on like for like ie same length warranty, in stock and either include (once next day) delivery or be within 50miles of the shop, as they offer shop pick up.

They clearly state this on their website.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,250Posts Today

7,858Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin