Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    It's a professional job , nothing "over the counter" is strong enough
    It's a professional job if trying to satisfy mortgage lenders, but any intelligent individual can learn how to treat it and buy appropriate kit.

It's still possible, if not technically legal, to get hold of 'professional' chemicals via the internet. I have relied on them for years in a different context.

However, in this case, 360g/litre glyphosate is adequate.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ruski wrote: »
    What make you think it's Japanese knotweed??

Russ

Images from google and the description.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Hope it's ok to jump on this thread.

I've got knotweed springing up at the edges of my garden (not unexpected:() and my immediate problem is that it's in weed and rubble filled borders that I really want to clear and plant asap. There are hedges behind the borders so I'm guessing I can't use a herbicide. Is digging and sieving the only option?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tiniest bit of root and it comes back , think they inject the herbicide in the stems direct to kill it
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • shortcrust
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Tiniest bit of root and it comes back , think they inject the herbicide in the stems direct to kill it

My neighbours have had success with sieving so I know it can work if done properly. Not disturbing the knotweed and treating the stems towards the end of the summer isn't an option for me, especially as there'll doubtless be more coming through next spring so I'll be in the same boat then.

My options are:

1. Dig up and sieve (I could cry at the thought of it...).
    2. Dip up and clear as I usually would and deal with the new growth with glyphosate down the stems when I can.

I don't know if option 2 is a daft (and possibly irresponsible) thing to do.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No, not irresponsible, but there is really no better solution than injecting glyphosate, as it kills more than the stem you inject.

I can't really recommend dig and sieve ... even though I'm a glutton for punishment. With hedge roots, you will be on to a losing streak before you start. Having said that, it's pretty much what we had to do on a (farm) hedge, but we used a digger for digging, and no sieving! Did spray well beforehand.

There's a vast exaggeration on the vigour of Knotweed; it takes more than a tiny sliver to root, and it is very susceptible to resellers applied at the right time. Main problem is, it grows and spreads so fast.

Spraying throughout the year will stop it spreading. Full stop. It will also slowly, very slowly, kill it off.

Injecting takes patience to leave well alone until August at the earliest. It's like a scab on your knee... leave it alone, leave it alone, leave it alone!!!:D. You may be able to (almost completely) kill it in two seasons.

With a hedge, also consider bending stems over at, say a foot, into a jam jar of fully diluted (even 50%,over diluted) glyphosate, and leaving them in for a few hours, then reusing the jar on the next stem.

JK isn't Voldermort, it's just a very naughty boy!:p
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2018 at 2:49PM
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    I believe the next neighbour, I remember they had a jungle last year, all cut back down now before new tenants moved in. A mate mentioned it last year and told me what it was and I said I have never seen it here, just random normal weeds.

Now I have the early reddish leaves growing right next to the wall of the neighbour.

There's fines available for "spreading" JK these days.

Best to talk to neighbour and explain what they are (inadvertently) doing to you, take photos of it, put note in your diary when you told them. If neighbour doesnt take appropriate action within reasonable timespan (say 2 weeks) - then "ask" them again in writing (copy kept) and you'd need to start getting the message over there will be "official trouble" if they don't get on with dealing with it.

In your position - as well as getting lined-up to make it plain to neighbour there would be legal penalties if they didnt get their act together then for my own personal action:
    - I'd get digging it up (VERY carefully and thoroughly) and sieving the soil to make sure there was no residue left to regrow
    - Have one of those hefty barrier things put down underneath the fence - I think they are metal? and go down 3' ? to help prevent any further incursions onto my land.

Another thought (just in case you ever need it) - have you got legal insurance as an add-on on your home insurance? I've not heard of any of them starting up a legal claim for damages etc against a next door neighbour that does this to someone - but it may well have happened. If it hasn't yet - it's only a matter of time before there is a case like this brought.
  • shortcrust
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    No, not irresponsible, but there is really no better solution than injecting glyphosate, as it kills more than the stem you inject.

I can't really recommend dig and sieve ... even though I'm a glutton for punishment. With hedge roots, you will be on to a losing streak before you start. Having said that, it's pretty much what we had to do on a (farm) hedge, but we used a digger for digging, and no sieving! Did spray well beforehand.

There's a vast exaggeration on the vigour of Knotweed; it takes more than a tiny sliver to root, and it is very susceptible to resellers applied at the right time. Main problem is, it grows and spreads so fast.

Spraying throughout the year will stop it spreading. Full stop. It will also slowly, very slowly, kill it off.

Injecting takes patience to leave well alone until August at the earliest. It's like a scab on your knee... leave it alone, leave it alone, leave it alone!!!:D. You may be able to (almost completely) kill it in two seasons.

With a hedge, also consider bending stems over at, say a foot, into a jam jar of fully diluted (even 50%,over diluted) glyphosate, and leaving them in for a few hours, then reusing the jar on the next stem.

JK isn't Voldermort, it's just a very naughty boy!:p

Thanks that's really helpful!:)
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    Options
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

You beat me to it!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport