Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iwilldoitthistime
    • By iwilldoitthistime 1st Apr 18, 2:45 PM
    • 520Posts
    • 579Thanks
    iwilldoitthistime
    Accessing Xbox away from home
    • 1st Apr 18, 2:45 PM
    Accessing Xbox away from home 1st Apr 18 at 2:45 PM
    Hi,

My son wants to go to his friends house and play on his Xbox there. They both want to play games at th3 same time iykwim. Other than lugging the Xbox and tv over there, does anyone know if there is another way he can access his login? He has a laptop, so is there a way of accessing it without the machine?
    Thanks for any suggestions
    Sealed Pot no 2011
Page 1
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 1st Apr 18, 5:45 PM
    • 12,286 Posts
    • 9,617 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 1st Apr 18, 5:45 PM
    • 1st Apr 18, 5:45 PM
    No, not unless his friend has a spare console & tv he could use.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • iwilldoitthistime
    • By iwilldoitthistime 1st Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    iwilldoitthistime
    • 1st Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 1st Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    Thanks, not the answer I hoped for, but the one I expected!
    Sealed Pot no 2011
    • custardy
    • By custardy 1st Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    • 33,453 Posts
    • 28,352 Thanks
    custardy
    • 1st Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    • 1st Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    you mean playing the same game?

There is game sharing

http://www.alphr.com/games/1008066/xbox-one-gameshare-how-to-share-games-on-the-xbox-one

Or do you mean more like a Windows set up of logging into separate accounts?
    • iwilldoitthistime
    • By iwilldoitthistime 1st Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    iwilldoitthistime
    • 1st Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    • 1st Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    They wanted to log into separate accounts if possible?
    Sealed Pot no 2011
    • custardy
    • By custardy 1st Apr 18, 6:11 PM
    • 33,453 Posts
    • 28,352 Thanks
    custardy
    • 1st Apr 18, 6:11 PM
    • 1st Apr 18, 6:11 PM
    They wanted to log into separate accounts if possible?
    Originally posted by iwilldoitthistime
    Think its possible. would mean setting the friends console as your sons home console while he uses it. Then changing it when at home.
    • iwilldoitthistime
    • By iwilldoitthistime 1st Apr 18, 6:17 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    iwilldoitthistime
    • 1st Apr 18, 6:17 PM
    • 1st Apr 18, 6:17 PM
    So they would change the friends Xbox over to my sons login, my son would log in on the laptop, then the friend would log back onto the Xbox?
    Sealed Pot no 2011
    • custardy
    • By custardy 1st Apr 18, 6:24 PM
    • 33,453 Posts
    • 28,352 Thanks
    custardy
    • 1st Apr 18, 6:24 PM
    • 1st Apr 18, 6:24 PM
    So they would change the friends Xbox over to my sons login, my son would log in on the laptop, then the friend would log back onto the Xbox?
    no,you could swap accounts on the Xbox,but I doubt theres a way to game stream onto the laptop via a different account.
    Eg
    https://youtu.be/aOFzrFJmdbA

so 2 players playing one game,one via laptop
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 2nd Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    • 12,286 Posts
    • 9,617 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 2nd Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    • 2nd Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    no,you could swap accounts on the Xbox,but I doubt theres a way to game stream onto the laptop via a different account.
    Eg
    https://youtu.be/aOFzrFJmdbA

so 2 players playing one game,one via laptop
    Originally posted by custardy
    I don't believe thats what the OP's son wants to do - if he wanted splitscreen theres no point in having the laptop as all the laptop does is duplicate the tv's screen and obviously the tv screen will be much larger (whats shown in the video is more useful for those wanting to splitscreen from a different room). It would also only work on games that offer couch co-op. Those who only offer online co-op (which is becoming more common as people tend to really dislike splitscreen), it wouldn't be possible to do that.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 3rd Apr 18, 11:24 AM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    I don't believe thats what the OP's son wants to do - if he wanted splitscreen theres no point in having the laptop as all the laptop does is duplicate the tv's screen and obviously the tv screen will be much larger (whats shown in the video is more useful for those wanting to splitscreen from a different room). It would also only work on games that offer couch co-op. Those who only offer online co-op (which is becoming more common as people tend to really dislike splitscreen), it wouldn't be possible to do that.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Agreed, the Xbox One can be streamed to a Windows 10 PC but only on the same network unfortunately so it wouldn't be possible to do so over the internet which is what the OP's son needs.

John
    • custardy
    • By custardy 3rd Apr 18, 11:33 AM
    • 33,453 Posts
    • 28,352 Thanks
    custardy
    Hi,

My son wants to go to his friends house and play on his Xbox there. They both want to play games at th3 same time iykwim. Other than lugging the Xbox and tv over there, does anyone know if there is another way he can access his login? He has a laptop, so is there a way of accessing it without the machine?
    Thanks for any suggestions
    Agreed, the Xbox One can be streamed to a Windows 10 PC but only on the same network unfortunately so it wouldn't be possible to do so over the internet which is what the OP's son needs.

John
    Originally posted by Johnmcl7
    not how it reads to me?
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 3rd Apr 18, 10:27 PM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    not how it reads to me?
    I'm not sure how there's any other way to read it, the OP has asked if there's any way for the son to play their Xbox at a friend's house without actually taking the Xbox/TV and possibly using the a laptop. If the Xbox One game streaming feature worked over the internet then it would be possible as they could simply take the laptop and stream from the Xbox One at home over the internet to the friend's house (which the Vita/PS4 can do with remote play).

However the feature only works when the PC and Xbox One are on the same network.

John
    • custardy
    • By custardy 4th Apr 18, 8:24 AM
    • 33,453 Posts
    • 28,352 Thanks
    custardy
    I'm not sure how there's any other way to read it, the OP has asked if there's any way for the son to play their Xbox at a friend's house without actually taking the Xbox/TV and possibly using the a laptop. If the Xbox One game streaming feature worked over the internet then it would be possible as they could simply take the laptop and stream from the Xbox One at home over the internet to the friend's house (which the Vita/PS4 can do with remote play).

However the feature only works when the PC and Xbox One are on the same network.

John
    we need the OP to clarify. either player can log in and play on the xbox/stream to the xbox.
    Its relates more to what games they want to play.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 4th Apr 18, 11:27 PM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    we need the OP to clarify. either player can log in and play on the xbox/stream to the xbox.
    Its relates more to what games they want to play.
    I don't see what they need to clarify, they asked if the son can play with their friend at the friend's house without taking the Xbox/TV with them and using a laptop instead - this would be possible if the game streaming feature worked over the internet but unfortunately it doesn't. Your suggestions seem focused on the son playing on the friend's Xbox using the son's account rather than playing at the same time.

John
    • custardy
    • By custardy 5th Apr 18, 7:52 AM
    • 33,453 Posts
    • 28,352 Thanks
    custardy
    I don't see what they need to clarify, they asked if the son can play with their friend at the friend's house without taking the Xbox/TV with them and using a laptop instead - this would be possible if the game streaming feature worked over the internet but unfortunately it doesn't. Your suggestions seem focused on the son playing on the friend's Xbox using the son's account rather than playing at the same time.

John
    Which they can. one on the xbox,one streaming to the laptop.
    The Op has yet to clarify what games they want to play.
    if its ones on the sons account then this is possible.
    however you have decided you are right and not willing to accept we need to wait for the OP to clarify.
    So you are right
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 5th Apr 18, 4:33 PM
    • 12,286 Posts
    • 9,617 Thanks
    unholyangel
    however you have decided you are right and not willing to accept we need to wait for the OP to clarify.
    So you are right

As I said earlier, a lot of games do not have couch co-op, its online co-op/matchmaking only. Even if the game does have couch co-op, the only thing you'd be doing is duplicating the splitscreen onto the laptop - which is wholly redundant when they're sitting in the same room side by side with the tv screen undoubtedly being much larger than the laptop screen.

If the game has no couch co-op then they would only have the option of taking turns to play (even if you streamed it to the laptop monitor) and would not be able to play together.

The only way to guarantee they can play any game together would be taking a tv and xbox with him.
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 9th Apr 18, 9:39 AM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    Pfft, kids these days don't know the meaning of "lugging" a TV to another house. In my day, TVs weighed more than us and if they broke down you could take out the insides and live in them. That's why house prices were so low!

Ah, the good old days.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 9th Apr 18, 2:43 PM
    • 12,286 Posts
    • 9,617 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Pfft, kids these days don't know the meaning of "lugging" a TV to another house. In my day, TVs weighed more than us and if they broke down you could take out the insides and live in them. That's why house prices were so low!

Ah, the good old days.
    Originally posted by Chickabiddybex

To be fair though, back in those days consoles typically allowed up to 4 players (game dependent) and there was no "online". Although my consoles then sure were smaller than consoles now!
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 9th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    So you are right
    That wouldn't work as the Xbox One can only output a single display so the laptop would simply show exactly the same as the TV.

I have decided the OP wants to access the Xbox One from home using a laptop because that's exactly what they asked (which unholyangel agrees with), it's the actual title of the thread:

Accessing Xbox away from home
    It's not a complicated question and I've genuinely no idea how you're even interpreting that as your suggestions for game sharing and now in game streaming the same display make no sense.

John
    Last edited by Johnmcl7; 09-04-2018 at 8:00 PM.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 9th Apr 18, 8:02 PM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    Johnmcl7

To be fair though, back in those days consoles typically allowed up to 4 players (game dependent) and there was no "online". Although my consoles then sure were smaller than consoles now!
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    The death of splitscreen gaming is very frustrating, yes the image quality took a hit but had many fun hours with four player on the N64.

John
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

1,407Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin