Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Precious8
    • By Precious8 28th Mar 18, 10:55 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Precious8
    ?? Consumer Law Barristers
    • 28th Mar 18, 10:55 AM
    ?? Consumer Law Barristers 28th Mar 18 at 10:55 AM
    Hi
    This is my first thread, it took me a while to find it! I was told to move my thread here so I hope to get some help.

Just wanted to know if anyone has been contacted by this company Consumer Law Barristers,
    we have and they have offered to help us to become debt free in a 12 month period. We are currently with a debt management company which will take ages to be debt free.

The thing is they are asking for 120 a month to assist us with the process, they have requested a full payment upfront but have not sent us agreement letter yet although I have asked for it.

Your thoughts would be of interest?
Page 1
    • pitswoman
    • By pitswoman 16th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pitswoman
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    Hi, I was contacted too and they emailed me too and when I read their terms and conditions it mentions a fee and the 1st payment to be given 14 to them within 14 days of agreement. When they contacted me on about 12 months debt free as I'm in the same situation as you, I kept asking them the question that was what happens when CLB start to work on my case - do I have to still continue paying my debts whilst looking into my case and they could not answer my question and said I am too far down the line yet. I also asked them would they start charging me as soon as I get my review back and they could not answer me. I do not trust them so I am not going ahead with it although they were going to call me back tonight at 6.45 but they rang me at 6.20pm so too early as I was going to tell them to forget it. There must be something we can do to get our debts cleared in a year without paying anyone else to do it but it's finding out how
    • blackandwhitebunny
    • By blackandwhitebunny 16th Apr 18, 9:42 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 4,139 Thanks
    blackandwhitebunny
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:42 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:42 PM
    You'd be better posting this in the main debtfree board.
    However, if it sounds to good to be true it usually is and in this case for sure.
    There is no quick way out of debt, it took a while to get into it and it'll take a while to get out. There are more experienced people who might be along later but the general rule is never pay anyone a fee to help you manage debt. Stepchange, Paypal and Christians against Poverty will all do it for free and offer as good as, frequently better service than any of the charging companies.
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly

• Taliapoppy
    • By Taliapoppy 13th Jul 18, 8:54 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Taliapoppy
    • 13th Jul 18, 8:54 AM
    To Pitswoman
    • 13th Jul 18, 8:54 AM
    Hi, no you don't pay the debts while going through this process and you don't start paying after the review, you do it if or once you choose to go ahead with them after the review, if you want to. I like it I can stop paying any time I want to stop them working for me. Meanwhile I've suspended my debt management plan. I'm sure there is a way to do this yourself but I'm tired of battling, I've spent too long being suicidal over debts and other things and welcome the support of someone doing it for me. Hope this helps...
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 13th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    Working Mum
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    Hi, no you don't pay the debts while going through this process and you don't start paying after the review, you do it if or once you choose to go ahead with them after the review, if you want to. I like it I can stop paying any time I want to stop them working for me. Meanwhile I've suspended my debt management plan. I'm sure there is a way to do this yourself but I'm tired of battling, I've spent too long being suicidal over debts and other things and welcome the support of someone doing it for me. Hope this helps...
    Originally posted by Taliapoppy
    What was the process that got you to this point?? The OP seems a bit unclear with reagrds to the process

The advice on here i NEVER PAY a company to do what you can sort from free via a reputable charity etc such as StepChange etc

This link may help
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5818251

This link answers your question also

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5818251

Do it yourself and don't consider spending 1440 of your hard earned cash to do something which can be done for free
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,294Posts Today

6,240Users online

Martin's Twitter