Neighbour gas meter relocating to his garden

Options
Hi i checked the price of having my neighbour gas meter moved to his garden from my terrace and it costs around 800.
Because when i bought the house the meter was there i assume he has an implied easement to come and read it. That woukd not be a problem but now he wants to run the pipes up the wall which will look ugly.
I would see the gas pipes from kitchen amd dinning room.
I m also planning to have a orangery / consevatory built on the terrace and the meter is going to be in the way.

If i m prepared to pay the bill for the meter move where do i stand? There is nothing in deeds about the meter and the seller of the house "forgot" to mention the meter on the seller pack.

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    There might be an easement to read the meter but not to add pipework in what is presumably your property. Suggest he runs his pipework internally or you split the cost of moving the meter.
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thought I was going mad for a moment ... read this yesterday - here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5817370
  • markusvic
    Options
    So this is the outcome of the gas meter. I had the gas distribution company come over and checked if it can be moved. The price is 784 incl vat in south east abd they ll dig and put the patio back as it was. Neighbour only wants to conttibute very little towards it but i could not find another way to stop him running pipes up the wall on my terrace. So fingers crossed it gets moved.

I also had the other side of the property neighbour ' s main supply power cable going trough my kitchen trough a hole onto theirs. I complained this is not safe and electric distribution company gave me a quote. 200 to move my meter and supply cable outside from kitchen and 760 to re reroute theirs from the pole out of my property. I argued that is not my cable so I only paid 200.

Yes i posted before and i lost log in details and could not find the link so this summarises what happened.

The people that sold the house lied on the property form saying that no power or gas supply for neighbours cross the property. I m struggling to find their new address but when i do i will take them to the small claims court also for failing to tell me next door operates a hair saloon from their front living room.

I made a buy purchase and yes i m having all this issues
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you ask of the nieghbour was operating a business from the house? If you didn't, there was no need to say anything about the "saloon". There's nothing in the forms.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure