Experian can't verify identity

Options
Hi. I'm trying to get a 95% mortgage for a property I love, but have so far been struggling. My first mortgage advisor (supposedly independent but his office was within the selling agency's office, and his company logo was the same font and colouring as the selling agents???) told me that because I had missed payments (initially he said this was a default, but they aren't showing up as such on my credit report, and I never received a default notice) 18months ago on my credit report then no-one would lend more than 85%.

I have since spoken with an actual independent, who said that given my income, savings and credit report there is no reason I would get refused a 95% loan. However, she told me to check my Experian report rather than Equifax, as there might be something on there different.

(Now I finally get to the crux of this post).

So I tried to sign into Experian, and have been told that they cannot verify my identity. Could this be the reason I am struggling to get approved? This would certainly explain why when applying for an AIP online, a refusal comes through instantly rather than taking the 15-30 minutes normally quoted.

Any help much appreciated - I'm going out of my mind trying to get to the bottom of this! :p

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you on the electoral roll ?

You tried Noddle (they use call credit) ?
  • PMW17
    PMW17 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your response. Yeah, I'm on the electoral roll and had no issues signing up with Equifax. But the independent advisor suggested that most lenders use Experian rather than Equifax.
  • PMW17
    PMW17 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, so I've looked at Noddle - my credit score is 'poor' by their standards, but with Equifax it's right on the border between 'good' and 'excellent'. Another surprising difference is that the Noddle report shows less information on previous accounts, and does not show the missed payments or the account they were linked to, yet still rates me lower than Equifax who do show these missed payments. I'm thoroughly confused!?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure