We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Information wanted on buddleia alternifolia

Options
Cordie
Cordie Posts: 253 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
Has anyone here got any experience of growing buddleia alternifolia. I love buddleia flowers but hate the way they turn brown on the shrub after flowering so was wondering if the flowers of the alternifolia variety behave in a different way.

Comments

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I grow it, and like it. The flowers do still go brown, but are less obvious as they lie along the branch more. It's nowhere near as vigorous, and not as flashy, but I like it.
  • Cordie
    Cordie Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks DaftyDuck if you don't mind answering a few more questions what height does it reach and do you prune it like an ordinary buddleia.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I prune mine pretty randomly - I like the arching foliage it gives. I don't cut it back as hard as a common buddleia, as it's slower-growing. It does get to be a decent size eventually, maybe a couple of metres.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure