Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cordie
    • By Cordie 14th Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    • 205Posts
    • 297Thanks
    Cordie
    Information wanted on buddleia alternifolia
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    Information wanted on buddleia alternifolia 14th Mar 18 at 11:41 AM
    Has anyone here got any experience of growing buddleia alternifolia. I love buddleia flowers but hate the way they turn brown on the shrub after flowering so was wondering if the flowers of the alternifolia variety behave in a different way.
Page 1
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 14th Mar 18, 1:10 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 8,656 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:10 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:10 PM
    I grow it, and like it. The flowers do still go brown, but are less obvious as they lie along the branch more. It's nowhere near as vigorous, and not as flashy, but I like it.
    • Cordie
    • By Cordie 14th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    Cordie
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    Thanks DaftyDuck if you don't mind answering a few more questions what height does it reach and do you prune it like an ordinary buddleia.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 14th Mar 18, 4:00 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 8,656 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 14th Mar 18, 4:00 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 4:00 PM
    I prune mine pretty randomly - I like the arching foliage it gives. I don't cut it back as hard as a common buddleia, as it's slower-growing. It does get to be a decent size eventually, maybe a couple of metres.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

420Posts Today

4,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin