Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • peppapig14
    • By peppapig14 13th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 0Thanks
    peppapig14
    Deprevation of capital
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    Deprevation of capital 13th Mar 18 at 8:20 PM
    We currently have big savings which isnt a problem as we only claim tax credits. However when we go to universal credit , the savings being above 16k would mean we woulsnt be wntitled to anything.would the below be classed of deprevation of capital in terms if benefits:
    1: transferring 20k to daughters bank account ( no trust fund just a normal account where I have access )
    2: spending 10k on a car ( currently have a car would like a nicer one
    3: spending 5k on holidays over the next 2 years
    Thanks
Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 13th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    • 4,905 Posts
    • 5,259 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    1. Definitely yes.
    2. Probably not. 10k on a car isn't excessive
    3. Probably not. 2.5k for a main holiday for a couple isn't high. Just one week in the Canaries next month is costing us that when getting to the airport in the UK, food and drink on holiday is included.

In reality it is extremely difficult for DWP or anybody else to prove deprivation if the money was spent when not in receipt of Income Related benefits.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 14th Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    • 4,905 Posts
    • 5,259 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    I've just seen your other thread. Using the money as a deposit on a property to live in shouldn't be DoC and seems like a much better option than any of the above.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    I would certainly agree with that suggestion. An additional 20k deposit would make a huge difference to mortgage interest over the term of the mortgage.
    • Izzy Ziddi
    • By Izzy Ziddi 14th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Izzy Ziddi
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    My personal situation is that;

1. I left home in 2014 (eloped) against my families wishes to be with my partner.
    2. In 2015 I left work and moved to his home town which was 40 mins away from my home and place of work.
    3. In May 2015 I fell pregnant and were staying with his friend.
    4. In August 2015 we moved into private rented accomodation with bills and rental agreement in my name (stupid on my part but by now I was 100% reliant on my partner and suffering from depression)
    5. My partner never asked me for money and even though I had savings of 12k I never offered to help with bills etc as it never crossed my mind HOWEVER...
    6. My partner walked out...it soon became apparent that he had not been paying the rent, which included Council Tax for 6 months.
    7. In Dec 2015 I had to pay the rent arrears or risk eviction and Court Order.
    8. Whilst I used to work I always helped my brother's and sister's in safe-keeping their money, which was also in my account but my sister asked for her money back too.
    9. I had to buy all baby stuff and nursery items too.
    10. I also had to buy new house stuff like fridge, washing machine, sofa as when we moved into the property it was partly furnished with items near enough breakdown.
    11. I had my son in January 2016.
    12. In February 2016 I was advised to claim Income Support, Housing Benefit...I was severly depressed and all alone.
    13. I applied and declared interest in a property and that I had savings under 6k
    14. Claim was refused due to having another property so whatever savings I had left I had to use until my appeal was accepted in April 2016.
    15. DWP have now written to me advising THE WHOLE PERIOD of my claim has been dissallowed as I did not declare my true savings and I have to now repah 6k.
    16. I do not claim any benefits now.
    17. Housing Benefit also want repaying back.
    18. DWP state they were notified by HMRC of annual savings interest for the year prior to my claim
    which was April 2015-April 2016.
    19. I asked for an explaination and I had answered NO to "did I have savings over 6k in the past 6 months!!!
    20. I am beside myself wondering why I ticked NO instead of YES! It'll be easy to blame the baby blues and depression but I genuinely did not hide my savings as otherwise I would not have risked being refused by declaring interest in another property.

You need to be careful how you use your savings!
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 14th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 4,905 Posts
    • 5,259 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    Izzy, you did hide your savings even if you didn't do so intentionally. You ticked No instead of Yes and further investigation showed that statement not to be true. There is a massive difference between your situation and that of the OP.
    • Izzy Ziddi
    • By Izzy Ziddi 14th Mar 18, 11:18 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Izzy Ziddi
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:18 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:18 AM
    Yes i know now how it's coming across but nonetheless even if I ticked yes they would have asked where it was spent etc which is what i'm saying to OP because the purpose of the question is to establish whether claimant deprived themselves of capital intentionally.

I lived off whatever savings I had and had no idea about the benefit system before the midwife mentioned it I just don't know how they expect me to repay it back.s
    • Danday
    • By Danday 14th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Danday
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    When I claimed Pension Credit I had to provide 3 months of bank statements etc. Previous to that I only claimed contribution based ESA and had no knowledge of what Pension Credit was.
    Yet they still raised question on why I spent various amounts of money in the 3 months leading up to claiming Pension credit.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 15th Mar 18, 8:22 AM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:22 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:22 AM
    dumb a.s.s
    Originally posted by TruthBeIt
    dumb what??????????
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,054Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin